Very Slow Connection

Started by net91, Dec 15, 2009, 18:16:59

Previous topic - Next topic

wecpcs

Quote from: Rik on Dec 18, 2009, 10:39:43
IMO, Colin, they are moving bandwidth, robbing Peter to pay Paul. Proving it is more difficult, of course, but I've seen it happen three times since I moved to WBC. I think that you, too, are on WBC, so it might be worth suggesting to IDNet that they get your circuit rebuilt, they'll need some BT speedtests to show it's operating out of spec, though.

I am not on WBC Rik our exchange at Leysdown does not even have a date, even the PSTN side has not been done yet and that was due in the 3rd quarter this year.

Colin

Rik

What made me think you were.  :shake: Forget I said that, then. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

net91

Speeds still slow today, 0.44Mbps according to speedtest.net. Nothing new to report atm, will post when there is.
Dan

klipp

Same problem again for me.  I'll probably lose my connection again entirely like last time.

Rik

Have you lost sync, or just PPP?
Rik
--------------------

net91

I've just got home and checked my emails and noticed my connection seemed a bit more like usual.

I ran a speed test and got the following result, which is the best I've had in a few days (not going above 0.4Mbps).

Although I'm keeping in mind it's 11:30pm so may just mean there aren't many users on line to conjest the VP.
Dan

Rik

Rik
--------------------

udnylad

Things looking much better here since yesterday   ;D  :fingers: :fingers:

C:\ping www.idnet.net

Pinging www.idnet.net [212.69.36.10] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=59
Reply from 212.69.36.10: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 212.69.36.10:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 43ms

Rik

Rik
--------------------

net91

Things looking good this morning as well.  :fingers: for it being sorted.

Dan

Rik

Rik
--------------------

klipp

12 hours downtime this time...  I was finally able to connect at 7:30 this morning.

Tried restarting router, leaving it unplugged for a while but made no difference.

The error on my router log is:

"LCP is allowed to come up."

Rik

Netgear? It doesn't log loss of sync on later firmwares. What lights are flashing, if any, when you have no connection.
Rik
--------------------

net91

Still looking good this afternoon.

:fingers:

Dan

klipp

Likewise, these are my regular stats (yes I'm on a long line lol).  Hopefully it's all fixed now.

Rik

:fingers:

I sincerely hope so, because BT's original 'fix' date of January 13, was plain absurd.
Rik
--------------------

T_M_D

Quote from: net91 on Dec 15, 2009, 18:16:59
Hi
Is anyone else experiencing a very slow connection this evening, it's taking me ages just to load simple pages (such as BBC News).

I've been monitoring my stats for sometime now and they tend to be between 3Mbps - 4Mbps, but I have just done a test on ThinkBroadband and my speed has dropped to 2.6Mbps.

Tina
Tina

Rik

Whereabouts are you, Tina, ie are you likely to be fed through Birmingham or Peterborough. More likely, I suspect, is exchange congestion, particularly if you see the slowdown in the 6-10pm period.
Rik
--------------------

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Dec 19, 2009, 19:50:54
Whereabouts are you, Tina, ie are you likely to be fed through Birmingham or Peterborough. More likely, I suspect, is exchange congestion, particularly if you see the slowdown in the 6-10pm period.

Hi Rik, Leicester, Exchange Billesdon. I don't usually get much slowdown between those hours. I just did a speed test on speedtest.net and that is reporting 3.8Mb, line quality B and Pingtest 58ms so all that is acceptable. I often wonder which speed tester one should put most faith in!
Tina

Rik

Personally, outside the BT tester, I use speedtest.net and the Maidenhead server. It most accurately reproduces the BT test.
Rik
--------------------

Gee

Wow, I connected after couple od days just now and check this out:

!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o

I have to laugh, my upload speed is higher then my download speed! AND I had to quickly check that I did not by some inexplicable mistake connected via my old internal 56k modem instead of my Speedtouch ADSL modem!

Wow this is mad. It went back up to 1.6Mb on Thursday, but it has dropped again to this crazy speed. It's connected at only 160Kbps.

The interesting thing: Rik when you mentioned the line noise, it reminded me that I had what it seems now the same problem at exact same period 2 years ago (posted here http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5048.25 ). After much trying and testing over 4 weeks, the end result there was that I thought it was the faulty filter.

However after few weeks problem repeated briefly couple of times so I figured it wasn;t the filter after all, but since it quickly resolved itself, I didn't bother investigating further. Now that the same problem is happening again around the Xmas time, it made me wonder is there a connection. Last years Xmas however went without the hitch, and I never had any other major problems like this really.

I spoke to IDnet yesterday and I will need to plug in my frog to the phone port, and let them do the testing. They think that the common denominator may be some Xmas light somewhere between my flat and the exchange, anywhere along the line really (I have no Xmas lights on). No idea how I could possibly check that. Would BT?

Net91, I'm glad your connection has improved! :)

Gee
Gee

T_M_D

Quote from: Rik on Dec 19, 2009, 20:03:42
Personally, outside the BT tester, I use speedtest.net and the Maidenhead server. It most accurately reproduces the BT test.

How do you do it with BT? I tried and it asks for a username and password...
Tina

Gee

Quote from: T_M_D on Dec 19, 2009, 20:31:46
How do you do it with BT? I tried and it asks for a username and password...

Just put in your IDnet Username...
Gee

Glenn

Gee, is you phone line noisy and underground?

I had similar problems recently, whereby my connection speed would drop to sub 200kbbs throughput. The BT engineer that took a look at the problem found it was a corroded cable, which BT have replaced.
Glenn
--------------------

Gee

Quote from: Glenn on Dec 19, 2009, 20:41:36
Gee, is you phone line noisy and underground?

I had similar problems recently, whereby my connection speed would drop to sub 200kbbs throughput. The BT engineer that took a look at the problem found it was a corroded cable, which BT have replaced.

Hi Glenn, I'm not sure what you mean by "underground" but yes, the line can be noisy occasionally,but not always. I don't use my home phone often but I just checked it now and its FULL of noise, sounds like it's a TV crackling when all the programs are finished at night. ..

Maybe I should call BT now (if they are there) and ask them to check the line while this noise is on.

Thanks!
Gee