ADSL re-training/speed-adjustment in first week

Started by hugothe, Dec 23, 2009, 09:15:18

Previous topic - Next topic

hugothe

Hi all

I've just moved apartments with IDNET, from an ADSL2 enabled exchange (Westminster area) to an ADSL one (Earl's Court).

I've got the current connection status:

DSL Status:    UP
DSL Modulation Mode:    Auto
DSL Path Mode:    FAST
Downstream Rate:    1472 Kbps
Upstream Rate:    448 Kbps
Downstream Margin:    6 db
Upstream Margin:    15 db
Downstream Line Attenuation:    61
Upstream Line Attenuation:    60
Downstream Transmit Power:    15
Upstream Transmit Power:    11
LOS Errors:    0

1472 Kbps seems rather low. I seem to recall reading somewhere that in the first week or so the line speed would adjust to its final speed. Since I first connected my ADSL router (Sunday) that number hasn't moved.

Can I do anything specific to improve the speed - its pretty miserable compared to my last ADSL2 exchange!

Thanks to all,
Hugo

Rik

Hi Hugo and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

You've got quite a long line there, so it's never going to be very fast. You may be able to improve things a little with a different router and possibly some tweaks of the phone wiring.

Let me know if you're interested in doing that and I'll go into more detail.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

hugothe

Hi Rik - thanks your reply!

I'd be very interested in anything I can do to squeeze a bit of extra speed out of my line. I'm using a Linksys AM200 ADSL2 modem.

I'd also be interested in knowing exactly how you figured out that I have a long line - is it related to line attenuation and/or transmit power? Is there a document or wiki page that describes (roughly) what all those things mean? I've got a reasonable idea of the way it all works, but how it can be tuned/improved I really don't have any idea about.

Hugo

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Steve

Hi Hugo. If you head over to http://www.kitz.co.uk/ there's lots of useful information there and also our help section. :welc:
Steve
------------

Rik

Hi Hugo

61db attenuation indicates a long line, ~6km to the exchange. Given you're in Earl's Court, that suggests BT have taken the scenic route to the exchange. :(

Have a read of this. It's a guide to what you can do to help your internal wiring. If you do have a ring wire in the circuit, removing it can make a huge difference to the speed, as it introduces a lot of noise. Try disconnecting everything but the router, and see if the noise margin increases. If it does, than one of your devices is adding noise to the line, and thus costing you speed. If you must use an extension to connect the router to the phone, then make sure it's round, not flat, but ideally, have the router close to the master socket and run a longer cable to the PC.

If you have a MW battery-powered radio, de-tune it so you only have white noise, then follow the path from master socket to router. If the volume increases at any point, that's a source of noise. Be sure you check your monitor, PC and router power supply too, they have been known to cause issues.

Finally, a number of us have found that 2-Wire 2700HGV routers (£10-15 delivered) from eBay have shown significant improvements on long lines.

Rik
--------------------

hugothe

Thanks guys - lots of information for me to read and absorb :)

I'll try these things, and let you all know how I got on.

Merry xmas!

Rik

And to you. We'll be here to answer any questions you may have.
Rik
--------------------

Sebby