Website Hosting -MobileMe v IDNet

Started by Steve Bennison, Dec 30, 2009, 14:50:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Bennison

I've just started building a website. I'm a complete novice but I'm using Rapidweaver, which seems OK so far. If & when I ever finish it, the site will be very simple, mostly just writing, but I'm hoping it will have several hundred "Click here to download" links to downloadable files, though these too will mainly be very simple written documents. I was planning to host the whole thing on my Apple iDisk space, using MobileMe, as this seemed the easiest option, but I'm wondering if it might be better to have IDNet website hosting, which I gather would be quicker & more reliable. I've had an IDNet ISP account for several years & have always been very happy with it, with hardly ever any problems, & wouldn't mind forking out £200 or £300 a year for the "Silver" or "Gold" webhosting packages. Does anyone have any advice? Would IDNet hosting be easy enough for a nervous beginner -for example, would I be able to manage a domain name, would it work with Rapidweaver, would it be overkill for a fairly simple personal website?

Simon

Can't help with the tech stuff, Steve, but  :welc:  :karma:

Someone will be along with some advice very soon.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Hi and welcome to the forum, Steve. :welc: :karma:

I can't answer your question on Rapidweaver, but how much disk space would you expect to require? It might be that the free webspace would be sufficient for your needs?
Rik
--------------------

Ted

Hi Steve

Take a look at 1and1 Web Hosting, prices are reasonable and they have always been very reliable for my own domain email account.

I think Sebby uses their web hosting, he'll be around sometime soon, I'm sure.
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

1&1 have certainly been first rate for my email, Ted.
Rik
--------------------

Ted

They have a 3 month "free" offer on at the moment  :thumb: but looks like it only lasts for 1 more day  :(
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Sebby

:welc: :karma:

I've always had good service from 1&1. :)

psp83

Quote from: Sebby on Dec 30, 2009, 15:45:01
:welc: :karma:

I've always had good service from 1&1. :)

Just dont try run a busy website on there shared hosting.. or a site that allows images to be uploaded..

There servers cant and wont handle a picture bigger than 1024x1024 and resize to small/medium sizes as the memory_limit is set low and they dont allow you to change it (not when i was with them)

Sebby

I'd never run a professional site from 1&1 shared hosting, no, but for personal use, it's great.