Router, what to buy?

Started by andy03071981, Dec 30, 2009, 08:27:20

Previous topic - Next topic

andy03071981

I am looking to buy a new router. I need one that has it all in one. Modem router.

Any suggestions? I heard netgear are good but which one?

Steve

Do have any wireless N devices now or likely in the next few months?
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

What are your line stats like?
Rik
--------------------

chrisga

Quote from: andy03071981 on Dec 30, 2009, 08:27:20
I am looking to buy a new router. I need one that has it all in one. Modem router.

Any suggestions? I heard netgear are good but which one?

I bought  a Netgear DG834GT wireless router on Ebay that was "flashed" for use with Sky.  They are easy to re-flash with the standard  Netgear firmware, then they can be used on any service.  First rate  reliability, I am "custodian" of X2, one mine and 1  belonging to my father.

You should be able to get a used regular one for under  £25-£30, probably less for one that needs re-flashing.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_broadband_router_dg834gt.php

Gary

Quote from: chrisga on Dec 31, 2009, 23:07:02

I bought  a Netgear DG834GT wireless router on Ebay that was "flashed" for use with Sky.  They are easy to re-flash with the standard  Netgear firmware, then they can be used on any service.  First rate  reliability, I am "custodian" of X2, one mine and 1  belonging to my father.

You should be able to get a used regular one for under  £25-£30, probably less for one that needs re-flashing.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_broadband_router_dg834gt.php
I would avoid the GT abd vet a version 4 DG834G, less problematic
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Terryphi

I know that Netgear routers are recommended by many regulars here but I found that a Thomson TG585 v7 improved stability on my line.

Rik

I think that most of us would recommend a Netgear, a Speedtouch or a 2700, Terry, depending on the line. Netgears do have the advantage at the moment that they've been found to work with all MSANs.
Rik
--------------------