I'm well within my 30GB monthly, I used 19.67GB

We've only managed 18.52gb out of 30gb, Gary. How sad are we?  ;D
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

If you spend your time eating and drinking, Ted, not sad at all. ;D
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ted

Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Niall

Quote from: Rik on Dec 29, 2009, 17:54:36
Some people have reported slowdowns, Q, while others have reported record speeds. I think we may be seeing exchange congestion with people at home for the week.

I've been in work, so it can do what it wants during the day :D It's been as fast as ever if not a little better than that, for the last few days for me. Although I've mainly been streaming from iplayer rather than actually downloading anything but I was getting 600KB/s+ through Steam the other day.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

quandam

For what its worth, I have used my usual  3Gb  and have noticed a definite slow down over the 'freebie' period. It could be put down to many things but I am convinced that my meagre usage has been seriously affected by the permitted and condoned 'greed' of many. As stated before, this brings back dire memories of the Sky Connect 'service' due to GB hungry customers. I suggest that this 'freebie' should not be repeated  without some serious thought on the overall effect. :(

Reports of 30Gb plus downloads MUST have an affect on the whole service.

Ray

I must admit I've noticed that as well Q, especially afternoons and early evening.  :-\
Ray
--------------------

kinmel

My speeds have been a little lower too, however my son lives 100 metres away and uses a different ISP.

We are very competitive about what SNR, sync rates and download speeds we each achieve and the truth is that we are both seeing lower download speeds than usual from our newsgroup server.

In our case we know the reduction is due to BT exchange congestion and not our ISP's infrastructures, the d/l rates change at the same moment for both of us..
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

talos

Quote from: quandam on Dec 31, 2009, 19:17:22
For what its worth, I have used my usual  3Gb  and have noticed a definite slow down over the 'freebie' period. It could be put down to many things but I am convinced that my meagre usage has been seriously affected by the permitted and condoned 'greed' of many. As stated before, this brings back dire memories of the Sky Connect 'service' due to GB hungry customers. I suggest that this 'freebie' should not be repeated  without some serious thought on the overall effect. :(

I think you are way out of order there, many are on holliday and probably on the web and not all are IDnet users, slowdown over the entire network is inevitable.  Thowing back Idnets generous allowance in its face helps no one.

Steve

I would have thought there would be plenty of capacity within idnet due to the lack of business users during this period.I think Alan's post is correct in stating that the congestion is entirely due to BT and excuse my paranoia, from my own experience I think adslmax users are now seeing a second rate service probably at the expense of adsl2+
Steve
------------

Aaron

Is the 1st of January free bandwidth too? Still got one more game to download on Steam and wondered if it was free so I can take advantage of it now instead of later.
IDNet Home Pro ADSL2+ 4Mbps | Billion BiPAC 7800N

john

I've not done any speed tests but I think my speeds have actually improved during the free period.

Possibly people are downloading much more than they would otherwise do whilst there is no penalty and if it were free all the time then there would not be the same incentive to take advantage of it whilst you can.

I have to admit to downloading more than usual but over the free period I've only downloaded 7.42Gb and only 12.1Gb for the month.

Presumably Idnet have been able to offer a free period due to less traffic from business users over the holiday period and I for one would like to thank Idnet again for this very generous offer and would welcome a repeat if or when it's appropriate.

Gary

Quote from: quandam on Dec 31, 2009, 19:17:22
For what its worth, I have used my usual  3Gb  and have noticed a definite slow down over the 'freebie' period. It could be put down to many things but I am convinced that my meagre usage has been seriously affected by the permitted and condoned 'greed' of many. As stated before, this brings back dire memories of the Sky Connect 'service' due to GB hungry customers. I suggest that this 'freebie' should not be repeated  without some serious thought on the overall effect. :(

I have to agree with others here Q, with business offline there was plenty of spare bandwidth, and some people have a 30gb allowance anyway, so are you saying those people are always slowing down Idnet? It was a generous offer from IDnet and one I appreciated, statements like yours just smack of sour grapes. I had one night where things were slow, the rest was fine, tbh its the holidays and with so many online, Idnet faired very well. But I do think people like myself on Adsl Max with no WBC even on the horizon are getting the less pleasant end of the stick here. Oh well it works thats good enough for now, but if and its a big if, LLU comes to my Exchange via O2/Be I'm off, I am not staying in the dark ages with slow speeds and low allowances at this price, and that's not Idnets fault at all.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

talos

Quote from: john on Jan 01, 2010, 04:14:18
I've not done any speed tests but I think my speeds have actually improved during the free period.

Possibly people are downloading much more than they would otherwise do whilst there is no penalty and if it were free all the time then there would not be the same incentive to take advantage of it whilst you can.

I have to admit to downloading more than usual but over the free period I've only downloaded 7.42Gb and only 12.1Gb for the month.

Presumably Idnet have been able to offer a free period due to less traffic from business users over the holiday period and I for one would like to thank Idnet again for this very generous offer and would welcome a repeat if or when it's appropriate.

:iagree:   :ny3:

Ray

Quote from: stevethegas on Jan 01, 2010, 00:01:46
I would have thought there would be plenty of capacity within idnet due to the lack of business users during this period.I think Alan's post is correct in stating that the congestion is entirely due to BT and excuse my paranoia, from my own experience I think adslmax users are now seeing a second rate service probably at the expense of adsl2+

I agree, Steve, I've been suffering from low speeds at certain times of the day for a couple of months and I know my exchange has congested VPs. although this has been more noticeable over Christmas presumably due to increased usaged by all ISPs. In my case the slow downs seem to happen after midday until around 8:30 in the evening, no problem at all during the mornings I've just done a speed test with this result which couldn't really be improved on.

Ray
--------------------

Rik

Same here, Ray, my speeds have been consistently 'full on' for my line, except for a brief spell yesterday evening when there was a BT fault.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Or sort of school or public holiday always means exchange congestion is much more likely.

We always get it more during the 6 summer weeks simply because BT can't be bothered to invest in an old technology.
Lance
_____

Lona

Has our free bandwidth ended or does it include 1st Jan?

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Rik

It ends at midnight tonight, Lona.
Rik
--------------------