BT Line

Started by glen, Dec 30, 2009, 21:59:41

Previous topic - Next topic

glen

Hi everyone. What do you think of my chances of getting a replacement BT line installed due to the grief I'm having with adsl2+. I have been getting constant resyncs from about the 16th of Sept, when I went back to wbc. I called support, who were great and eventually got my line stabalized,but at the expense of download and upload speed. My download speed used to be around 6m and upload around 900k. Here's my stats now after BT done a bit of tinkering:

Downstream     Upstream    

SNR Margin

:
   15.5                    31.0    db

Line Attenuation

:
   41.0                    22.5    db

Data Rate

:
   2272             288    kbp

The only other thing I can think of that is causing this is underneath this flat there is a launderette. What the BT engineers have done is split the phone line that goes into the laundrette inside an electrical cupboard, so I am using the spare pair of wires from the laundrette, instead of having a new line from the pole to the flat, which they should have done when I first ordered the line which was about 3 years ago. So with all the other cables inside the electrical cupboard including alarm systems as well, there is a strong possibility this is where the problem lies. Anyway I reckon BT should replace the line with one that actually goes from the pole to my flat, considering I paid around £145 I think it was at the time, not one using a spare pair from another address. What do you think do I have a chance :fingers:.

They must find it difficult...
Those who have taken authority as the truth,
Rather than truth as the authority

Simon

I wish you the best of luck, but someone better qualified than me will be along in the morning, if not before.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

No chance at all, I'm afraid, Glen. BT have given you a working voice line with data speeds of 28.8k or above, that's all they are contractually required to do. :(

You might be better off switching back to Max (ADSL1).
Rik
--------------------

glen

But are they not contractually required to carry out a professional job on someones premises, instead of using someone elses phone line which is what I paid for.So if the laundrette decide to get a second line I would have no phone line. Something not right with this, it's called a bodge job. I will persue this. It's like if BT took your neighbours line and split it and said there you go, we dont install new lines anymore we just use the neighbours spare pair.

Rik

BT can and do use the most economic route when installing a new line, Glen. No-one requires them to run a new cable to your premises if they can pick up a spare pair elsewhere. In any case, the launderette may be the local distribution point, just as my meter cupboard is for the entire street.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: Rik on Dec 31, 2009, 08:50:17
BT can and do use the most economic route when installing a new line, Glen. No-one requires them to run a new cable to your premises if they can pick up a spare pair elsewhere. In any case, the launderette may be the local distribution point, just as my meter cupboard is for the entire street.

Sounds like you hold a lot of power there Rik. ;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

I inherited it, Ben, but it proved useful when I needed a second line. ;D Of course, if I could get my hands on the colour scheme, I could wreak havoc for my neighbours.   :evil:
Rik
--------------------

glen

Quote from: Rik on Dec 31, 2009, 08:50:17
The laundrette was part of the house in a terraced street, it was converted into a flat with the laundrette at the bottom. Every other house in the street has their own line from the pole. As far as I'm aware the engineer couldn't get access to the pole at the time of install due to way leave so done a temp job.

Rik

You can ask, but don't be surprised if they say no.
Rik
--------------------