Need new ISP

Started by gazzthompson, Jan 07, 2010, 19:05:56

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzthompson

Well basically IDnet is awesome, but we cant stay within the download limit. so im looking for a new ISP. on ADSL only. Any suggestions? seems all major unlimited companies have bad peak traffic and throttling on there ADSL packages, but from what i can tell there is no limited companies offering around 80GB packages. what to do?

somanyholes

Is llu in your area?

Rik

I'm no expert on other company's offerings, Gazz. Try asking in the 'which ISP' board on ThinkBroadband.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

gazzthompson

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

gazzthompson

i didnt understand any of AAISP's site.

http://www.plus.net/

80GB package, any one heard any reviews?

dujas

How much can you afford to pay a month? There's the Entanet resellers like ADSL24.

Plusnet use traffic management, see here for the breakdown.

Simon

Quote from: gazzthompson on Jan 07, 2010, 19:05:56
Well basically IDnet is awesome, but we cant stay within the download limit. so im looking for a new ISP. on ADSL only. Any suggestions? seems all major unlimited companies have bad peak traffic and throttling on there ADSL packages, but from what i can tell there is no limited companies offering around 80GB packages. what to do?

Don't take this the wrong way, Gazz, and I mean no disrespect, but if you really don't want to move, is it not possible to instil some discipline among the home users, so that you can stay within the 60Gb allowance (or near as damn it)?  You could find yourself at another ISP with a greater download allowance, but with such port blocking and traffic management in force, that it takes all the usability out of the service.   :-\
Simon.
--

gazzthompson

not really a option. as i say, this is done with just surfing on 3 computers (youtube and bbc i player included) im a avid gamer and im a beta tester on a MOD that includes downloading builds on a regular basis at like 2gb+ which i have put off in fear of making the bill to large. 60GB is just to restricted, but "unlimited" broadbands (on ipstream) are riddled with peak traffic and throttling. dont really know what to do  :dunno:

Tacitus

Zen do a 100Gb business package for around £50/month.

Since it is rumoured there may be changes to the iDNet packages in the near future, why not stay and see what happens.

Simon

I don't envy your dilemma, Gazz.   :(
Simon.
--

davej99

Why not ring IDNET and have a chat about options. They seem nice people. Certainly the all you can eat ISPs reselling BT ADSL throttle severly. I have tried a couple and found them very, very slow, almost unuseable. I read that Entanet have had capacity issues too.

gazzthompson

ill see what i can do when i ring to change the service we are on to the 60GB one. its a shame as the ADSL2 people have 90GB and   180GB , just because they are on faster nets dont mean they will use more.

Rik

It doesn't, but it does mean it's less expensive to provide the service.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Jan 08, 2010, 16:02:28
It doesn't, but it does mean it's less expensive to provide the service.
In the end though I fear people will leave the smaller providers if they are stuck on ADSL Max, Rik. Even though it is not Idnets fault we are penalised by our exchanges and lose out to those on WBC, and no matter which way you slice that piece of cake, its not a good deal.  :(
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

It isn't and, to run salt in, we'll all be paying £6+VAT, to update BT's infrastructure, without any say on how or where the money is spent, Gary.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Jan 08, 2010, 17:44:08
It isn't and, to run salt in, we'll all be paying £6+VAT, to update BT's infrastructure, without any say on how or where the money is spent, Gary.
That really annoys me Rik and I doubt that cash will go where they say it will. Does that mean though if you have two lines you pay twice?

Rik

It does, every phone line is taxed.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Jan 08, 2010, 17:55:01
It does, every phone line is taxed.
Even company ones?  :o

Rik

As I understand it.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

That would be external lines, not those within a company, I think.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Yes, anything connected to the PSTN.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Rik

Please, Gary, it's a Govt tax, there's no scams in them surely.  :whistle:
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Jan 08, 2010, 18:13:04
Please, Gary, it's a Govt tax, there's no scams in them surely.  :whistle:
Of course not, Rik. We will all soon have 100mbps BB just you wait and see, the Govt would not abuse our money  :eyebrow:  :rub:

Rik

Of course not. OTOH, once they have their hands on it, it's their money...  :eyebrow:
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Rik on Jan 08, 2010, 18:24:10
Of course not. OTOH, once they have their hands on it, it's their money...  :eyebrow:
Ahh bit of a technicality that  :eyebrow:

dujas

Has BT given Idnet an idea of what the final percentage the roll-out of 21CN WBC will cover of the UK's population? I read 50% by March 2010 and 70% by the end of 2011, but what about after that?

Rik

No idea, sorry. Check with support, they maybe able to give you a better idea. Though, I have to say, based on my experience of running WBC and Max, Max is far more stable and, on my line, WBC gives little extra speed.
Rik
--------------------

dujas

They could always take off the arbitrary 8Mbit/s limit and allow the full 12Mbit/s for ADSL G.DMT, for those who could get it :)

Gary

Quote from: dujas on Jan 08, 2010, 18:53:24
Has BT given Idnet an idea of what the final percentage the roll-out of 21CN WBC will cover of the UK's population? I read 50% by March 2010 and 70% by the end of 2011, but what about after that?
I think if you are in a place with little demand for internet, you may be waiting a very very long time, as its not worth the upgrade it seems  :bawl:

gazzthompson

Well, seems BT is only real option... was fun whistle it lasted. :'(

dujas

If that's with BT retail, then despite what they say, Option 3 isn't unlimited.

gazzthompson

Quote from: dujas on Jan 11, 2010, 18:11:47
If that's with BT retail, then despite what they say, Option 3 isn't unlimited.
]

how so?

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

dujas

From what I've read on different forums, it seems to be that when your monthly total for uploads and downloads averages in the 70-100GB+ range, then you tend to get a warning email and subsequent connection throttling for 30 days. But some commented that they've been throttled without warning, so I guess it fluctuates depending upon overall network usage.

Technical Ben

It's just another nail in the coffin of honest business. "unlimited" means limited. "Free" means with a monthly fee. "No hidden charges" means terms and conditions explain the charges in tiny small print. Oh, and that's before I get onto watering down meat, and fake ingredients in food. How do companies like BT get away with it?  :rant2:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Because we let them? :(
Rik
--------------------

gazzthompson

Update:

http://www.idnet.net/solutions/home/broadband/default-adsl.jsp

more allowance !  :o :o :o :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: yes ! thank you !. Amazing thing is i got my mac code and rang BT last week, but due to some fault they couldn't accept me...  ::) lucky me

Steve

Yes it good news it even takes some of the pressure off daytime use :thumb:
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

Quote from: gazzthompson on Feb 02, 2010, 19:54:07
Amazing thing is i got my mac code and rang BT last week, but due to some fault they couldn't accept me...  ::) lucky me

Now that really is amazing, someone actually benefiting from BT's incompetence  :laugh:

Glad to hear it's all worked out for you in the end  :thumb:
zap
--------------------