Still getting the odd re-sync

Started by PuncH, Jan 15, 2010, 14:47:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I've heard of people double filtering the sky box
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

PuncH

Yeah I have too, but if it's causing the problem I'll just leave it unplugged. I'm getting rid of Sky soon anyway!  ;D

Rik

The Sky box would feature high up on my list of suspects, Jonathan.
Rik
--------------------

PuncH

444 CRC's in 10 hours and 2 errored seconds.

Does that sound better??

Steve

Its a lot better than you the ones you posted earlier.
Steve
------------

PuncH

Aye...hopefully it's not enough to trigger a re-sync tomorrow morning.

PuncH

Well...no re-sync today. The connection has been up for well over 24 hours, so moving to the test socket and removing the sky+ box has worked, or...my line is now at a speed it can handle assuming it may have degraded rather rapidly.

Anyway, after a few days of stabilty I'm hoping the DLM will up the speed again and then we'll see what happens. If it stays stable then it'll be the sky+ box or the faceplate. If it doesn't I'll have to look at the router, or my line has now gone to poop.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

PuncH

You don't think there are some wrong doings by BT do you Rik? I've read about them deliberately throttling peoples connections. Mind you, with yours there wasn't a lot to throttle was there!?  :P

Rik

;D

No, there wasn't. I had a line card fault over the Xmas period, since the repair I've lost just under 1M in speed. I've tried a different router and it's in the master socket, no extensions attached.  :dunno:
Rik
--------------------

Steve

With regard to BT throttles I think I've posted these before
WBC banded line profile (rate kbps)
7168 - 14336
4864 - 9728
3328 - 6656
2272 - 4544
1472 - 3072
1152 - 2272
576 - 1152
288 - 576
160 - 288

So the DLM specifies a minimum and maximum sync rate for your line. BT's excuse is to give you a stable connection with minimum resyncs. I assume you know you've been banded if your downstream noise margin is excessively high.
Steve
------------

Rik

Mine has gone from 6-12db since BT changed the line card, Steve, but I'm assured I have a target of 6db and I'm not banded.  :dunno:
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Would banding perhaps be used on lines with lower downstream attenuation than yours but performing poorly on ADSL2+. What I don't understand is downstream margins in excess of say 20 and a lot lower sync than I would expect.
Steve
------------

Rik

Quite possibly. ADSL2+ seems much more error concious than ADSL1.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

I looked at my modem stats last night ok its only 60 hours at present but not a single CRC , you won't get that with ADSL2+.
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

PuncH

Quote from: Steve on Jan 20, 2010, 17:27:25
With regard to BT throttles I think I've posted these before
WBC banded line profile (rate kbps)
7168 - 14336
4864 - 9728
3328 - 6656
2272 - 4544
1472 - 3072
1152 - 2272
576 - 1152
288 - 576
160 - 288

So the DLM specifies a minimum and maximum sync rate for your line. BT's excuse is to give you a stable connection with minimum resyncs. I assume you know you've been banded if your downstream noise margin is excessively high.

I'm in the 3328 - 6656 band at the moment, with a margin of 30!

Certainly room for improvement, especially as my error count is still at 444 CRC's and 2 Errored seconds!

Steve

So the question I ask myself is what is stopping the modem syncing at a higher rate? It looks like you now have a stable connection with low error rates and you appear to have possibly found the source of some of your interference on your internal wiring.
Steve
------------

PuncH

Just waiting for the DLM to up my sync rate again, which it'll hopefully do in a few days. Then I've got to hope it remains stable  :fingers:

Steve

But will the DLM raise your sync speed without BT/ISP intervention? If we look back at adslmax the only control of sync rate was through target SNR margin and the max was 15 with ADSL2+  something else is happening I think?
Steve
------------

PuncH

Yep...support say DLM will raise my sync speed automatically, but it could take up to 14 days. Then it's a case of wait and see.

PuncH

Still waiting for DLM to do it's stuff and unband my connection. Nearly 6 days now of solid sync at 5200kbps since I moved onto the test socket.

PuncH

Update:

DLM kicked in this morning. Sync is up to 16122kbps. Line is no longer on the test socket either, just straight into the mastersocket minus the sky+ box. There are a few errors, but nothing major at the moment.

Now the fun begins!

Steve

Steve
------------