AAISP publish interestig figures on BT congestion

Started by Rik, Jan 19, 2010, 09:38:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

AAISP report that:

QuoteWe have completed the first stage of our automated analysis of problems within the BT network. The report is generated daily and can be found at :-

https://clueless.aaisp.net.uk/congestion.cgi
Naturally this is has been made available to BT as well.

We are working on making more detailed reports showing the exact levels of loss and latency at different times of day to give customers a better idea of the impact of these issues.

You will note that yesterday nearly 30% of all of our BT lines were suffering with major congestion or fault issues. This is likely to affect other ISPs using 21CN back-haul in similar proportions and suggests that 21CN is, as a whole, still not working properly.

I wouldn't disagree...
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

It's certainly an interesting choice of URL and IE8 reports 'There is a problem with this website's security certificate.'!

It seems AAISP are perhaps burning bridges with BT. I don't blame them, we all know how abysmal BT are but I do wonder if this makes good business sense in the long term (unless of course they go wholly with the BE/O2 network for their provision).
zap
--------------------

Rik

I know what you mean about burning bridges, Zap, some of their attacks have left me wondering, not only about their long term relationship with BT, but the short term damage they might be doing too.
Rik
--------------------

esh

I used to be on NTL Cable years ago and that got ridiculously congested even on the meagre 0.5/0.1 Mbit lines we got in those days. It always went down at 6pm, and usually there was 4-8 hours downtimer per *week*. When I moved up to an f2s DSL line the difference was pretty amazing... I don't know if cable is better these days or not. Fortunately my area is not particularly congested on the ADSL front.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

bobleslie

AAISP has no problem with those in BT who are honest and try and fix the problems. They work very closely with those people and seem to get results.

Unlike ordinary ISPs each individual customer can monitor, test and fix their own lines, although proactive monitoring often sees a problem auto-fixed. 

The problem for BT is that AAISP already have the answers. Like when you're stopped by the police and they ask you questions. They already know the answers so it's pointless lying. That appears to be when the relationship gets problematic.

As a customer I can say, and I know that there are many like-minded AAISP customers, that we support them because they are exactly as they are.
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

dujas

Should be some fun times when FTTC is deployed to 40-50% of the population, have BT Wholesale the capacity to cope with 35 Mpbs downstream connections? ;)

Rik

Almost certainly not, if their WBC efforts are anything to go by.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

I get a 'Get Me out of here' page with FF at the link in the quote Rik

Steve

Steve
------------