Big Thank-you to Idnet Support

Started by Lona, Jan 26, 2010, 18:19:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Lona

I had no connection from 5PM last night until 6PM tonight and it was all down to BT.

This was a weird happening as all indications were that I had a connection but couldn't load any websites.

Initially when I phoned Idnet all the necessary checks were carried out and it was assumed the fault was with my reuter as had it been a BT fault I wouldn't have had a connection at all.

My daughter had the indentical problem last week and was without a connection for 4 days until BT finally admitted it was their fault. BT is also her isp but there was no way they were going to say it was them at fault.

One of the lads at Idnet decided to phone BT as BT wouldn't talk to me or  admit it was a fault.

He phoned me within minutes to confirm it was BT. 

The exchange is just down the road from where I live and I called in today but nobody would answer the door.  The whole of Beith was without a connection for 24 hours except the people on talk talk.

I wish I knew what BT are up to as they should inform isps who are paying for their service which in turn would allow the isps to let their customers know the facts.

Anyway thanks again Idnet Support for your assistance.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Rik

That's good to hear, Lona, I'm sure support will appreciate your kind words. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

quandam

Good advert for Talk Talk?  ;D Why were they the only ones working? :dunno:

Niall

Quote from: quandam on Jan 26, 2010, 18:22:22

Yeah, I nearly fell off my chair! Surely they must be doing something wrong if everything should be broken :D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Lona

I had to go to a neighbour who has talk talk and she had a connection, although slow as treacle, it worked.

I had sold something on Ebay and as I had to retreive the customers address as I like to post as soon as they pay.

Are BT giving all the beith folks BB lines to Talk Talk.? ;D

She has the phoneline with Talk Talk so could that have something to do with it.?

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Rik

Not directly, Lona, it sounds like a major failure of a piece of BT equipment though I can't find a reference to it anywhere. Possibly something like a line card.
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Rik

Looks like it Steve, I only looked on the AAISP blog. :D Mind you, if we'd looked at the network status page, it was there all along. :)
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Good to know they're not perfect! ;)
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

Typical right under our noses!   :)
Steve
------------

Rik

Well, I've got a big nose, Steve. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Lona

My friend is with Plusnet so why didn't they tell her that when she phoned them.  Again they told her it was her reuter and not a BT fault.?

Rik

At a guess? The couldn't be bothered to check.  :dunno:
Rik
--------------------

Lona

The fact that indications are that you have a connection made the isps think it wasn't a BT fault.  Idnet said if it's a BT fault you don't have any connection so it was just a stroke of luck that Idnet contacted BT or everybody in Beith would think they had a faulty reuter. 

Now you have to ask yourself, was it Idnet that alerted BT that they had a problem?

Rik

Because BT's systems don't always work, Lona. My line went down on December 26, but BT swore I was in sync until January 4, when they spotted a faulty line card.
Rik
--------------------

Lona

There was nothing wrong with my actual line Rik and my BB looked as though it was connected so we will never know what BT were up to.

Bill

Quote from: quandam on Jan 26, 2010, 18:22:22

TalkTalk are mostly (I think) LLU, so presumably whatever went belly-up didn't affect their kit in the exchange.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Lona

Can't be that Bill as Beith doesn't have llu

Technical Ben

Perhaps only half of the exchange fell off the map?
Over hear we had a new estate going up in our mediumish sized town. Someone dug into the main power artery to the town!  :eek4:
But only half the town went out, as the other half was on a different part of the grid. Could almost see the line down the town centre.

Might be similar with the kit in the exchange. Who knows what BT has done in there! ;D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.