router question

Started by Baz, Jan 29, 2010, 14:52:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

netgear DG834PN.........why does the wireless light flicker on this when nothing is turned on to use the wireless side of things?

This has just started to happen this last week that I can remember.How can you tell if anyone is hijacking your signal

Steve

There's probably an obvious answer but it still needs to transmit to show its available.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Make a note of your packet count before shutting down, Baz, then check again the next morning. It's probably nothing more than keep awake packets.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

theres TxPkts and RxPkts and for WAN,LAN,WLAN.  will any one of those do?

Baz

Quote from: Steve on Jan 29, 2010, 14:55:15
There's probably an obvious answer but it still needs to transmit to show its available.

ive just never noticed it before Steve thats all.Its like an activity flicker,will stop then start again as if been used  :dunno:

Glenn

Does it not give a list of connected devices?
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

The Rx packets are of most interest to you, Baz, they would see the biggest increase if someone else was using your connection. Compare all three..
Rik
--------------------

Baz

it does yes and it shows nothing unusual which is worse. I also have it set up with a 'Set Up Access List'   with all the systems/laptops in the 'Trusted Wireless Stations' section and all seems ok in there  also have an Address Reservation for the PS3 and printer

Baz

Rik

Another thing you could do, Baz, is change the password. If that stops the activity for a while, then you may have been hacked.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

yes good plan.hadnt thought of that

Baz

well I dont know what it was really but its stopped now.went through all the laptops and none were on,turned off the printer and the flashing stopped.took the printer out of the wireless trusted stations page on router and then had to go through the wizard again to set it up.Didnt see it at first as of course I have the 'Turn Access Control On' ticked so had to put it back in that list.

@ Rik  the only packet count that was changing is on the LAN but Rx and Tx were changing, only by about 7/8 each  re check

Seems to have cured the problem though.Thanks for the help  :thumb:

Rik

Sounds like the router was talking to the printer then, Baz.
Rik
--------------------