100m broadband by 2017 - wonder if it's an idea or a promise?

Started by Inkblot, Jan 31, 2010, 11:47:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblot

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8489870.stm

Apologies if this has been posted before.

QuoteMr Osborne told the BBC's Andrew Marr Show: "In the 19th Century we built the railways, in the 20th Century we built the motorways, in the 21st Century let's build the super-fast broadband network that will create hundreds of thousands of jobs for Britain."

Hundreds of thousands of jobs? Sounds a bit optimistic!

Glenn

Unless there is serious investment, then it will be a pipe dream, I think.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

talos

No mistaking the fact it's election time again :mad:  lock up your babies :eyebrow:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

talos

Technical Ben

We already have this. Hence it's already achieved.
One home in some random place gets 100mb connection.  :tongue:
Hence why no numbers or figures are promised. A bit like BT "up to 8mb!". ;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

chrisga

I'll eat my hat (and I'll have to go out an buy one first) if  I  even have 21CN at  my exchange by 2017, let alone 100m.

Going forward, a decent broadband infrastructure is  pre requisite for a  healthy economy.   You can't  therefore criticise  the actual words being uttered.  However,  sticking in  some fibre optic cabling is  not some kind of  "cure all" - You need  dynamic companies and a decent business ethic  as well.

You just get the feeling that the "spin Dr's" have told them to "whitter on"  about  " 'puters 'n' stuff"  to show they have  their "fingers on the pulse" of modern technology.  ::)

Rik

I'd agree with every word, Chris, it's soundbite politics - and to think we have another 3-4 months of it to come.  >:(
Rik
--------------------

colonelsun

2017?

The politicians still don't get it. By 2017 the slowest speeds in the world will be Osbourne's target, Korea is already talking of speeds in gigabytes ( the wrong spelling i'm betting).

And using the BBC licence fee as a cash cow to provide broadband for rural areas means the dilution of the licence fee, which was originally for radio and tv for all. Once you break the historic basis for having the licence fee... then government will dip into it for anything and everything rather than use government funding. The BBC licence fee is for tv and radio and not as a quick fix for the UK broadband industry and to make the government look good in international surveys.

I do like the idea of depriving BT of using the old copper lines as a cash cow though.

Rik

I suppose you could argue that the BBC are one of the primary sources of mainstream BB use, through the iPlayer?
Rik
--------------------

dujas

I think building a new fibre network is pure fantasy. The only way the numbers work is if by "majority", George Osborne means 51%+ of UK households having access to BT's FTTC/FTTH (BT will cover 40% by 2012 according to their schedule, at a cost of £1.5 Billion).

3.5% of the BBC's licence fee would be around £122 Million, but I assume it wouldn't be start to be taken until the digital TV switch-over completes in 2012, giving them only five years to make it happen before their deadline. So that's a £610 Million subsidy to BT to take their FTTC coverage beyond 50%.

That's already less than the £175 Million that what would be collected yearly via Labour's Telephone line tax (which the Conservatives would scrap if they formed the next Government).

It is estimated that it would cost BT in the region of £5-7 Billion to provide FTTC/FTTH to 95%+ of UK households.

kinmel

As you say the figures are pure fantasy, but at least they are starting to talk about reining in the TV ownership Tax.

Who knows one day the BBC may actually be pushed back to being about public service radio and tv.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

colonelsun

And as a High Court decision noted in the dying days of Tony Blair's reign, a pre election pledge or promise has no foundation in law. The law sees the pre election and post election dates as 2 distinctly different moments in time.

I can't recall who took their local MP to court to get him to honour his pre election pledges that resulted in the above decision, but as far as i'm concerned Osbourne's pledges are just as worthless as Cameron's or Brown's.

dujas

Sounds like he''ll threaten BT to motivate them as well:

Quote"If there are some parts of the country where the market can't get to; because I think the best way to deliver this is by breaking up the British Telecom monopoly at the moment which holds back companies like Carphone Warehouse or Virgin. If we find the market can't do that, then use the BBC licence fee, the digital switchover money in the licence fee, to get broadband out to the rest of the country, but let's see first of all if we can have the market delivering that super-fast broadband."
Source

At least the two main parties recognise the need for some form of public investment in our Broadband infrastructure, however both seem to have no idea of what they are talking about ;)

john

QuoteI think the best way to deliver this is by breaking up the British Telecom monopoly at the moment which holds back companies like Carphone Warehouse

I don't think they need to break up BT to do this, Carphone Warehouse has shown itself to be perfectly capable of holding itself back  ;D

D-Dan

Without trying to be political about this, the same party that wants to put x% of license fee money into superfast BB is the same party that wants to dismantle the BBC.

Now I may have this wrong, but if you kill the cow, where is the cash coming from?

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

john

Quote from: D-Dan on Jan 31, 2010, 23:42:07
Now I may have this wrong, but if you kill the cow, where is the cash coming from?

The same place that it always ultimately comes from Steve, the taxpayer.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

For once I agree with an Osborne suggestion, break the Openreach monopoly.
Rik
--------------------

kinmel

The BBC should be told they will lose 25% of the TV owner tax from 2014 and the money be used to install fibre to the home, preferably through sewers where possible.

The Government should split the country into zones and then invite private contractors to bid for whichever zones they wish for. The winning bid should be to the contractor offering the lowest pre-user cost, fixed for 10 years.

Those zones without bids, or excessively high bids should be subsidised from the TV Owner tax to make bidding attractive, different zones will need different subsidies.

The 4 years until 2014 can be used to allocate the zones and allow the industry to prepare to start on day 1.  Installations not completed in an agreed time frame will lose 10% subsidy each year late.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Quote from: kinmel on Feb 01, 2010, 16:46:30
The BBC should be told they will lose 25% of the TV owner tax from 2014 and the money be used to install fibre to the home, preferably through sewers where possible.

If they did that, they they would be up to their necks in s***
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

colonelsun

Rik

Rik
--------------------

kinmel

Quote from: colonelsun on Feb 01, 2010, 17:49:12
So...nobody voting Conservative then? :whistle:

Well there are certainly fewer and fewer reasons for Tories to vote "Dave"
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

colonelsun

I'm abstaining....again. I'm hoping a low turnout will make the election null and void....surely there is a theoretical number at which voters dip below that make an election illegal.

kinmel

Quote from: colonelsun on Feb 01, 2010, 22:11:52
I'm abstaining....again. I'm hoping a low turnout will make the election null and void....surely there is a theoretical number at which voters dip below that make an election illegal.

Nope, first past the post wins even if it is your own !
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

dudwell

Maybe we'll need neither copper nor fibre soon?

From Reuters UK:-

Vodafone Group Plc's Vodafone Portugal Prepares 43 Megabits per Second Mobile Internet Offer-Telecompaper Europe
Monday, 1 Feb 2010

Telecompaper Europe reported that Vodafone Group plc's Vodafone Portugal will launch in 2010 a new High Speed Packet Access Dual Carrier mobile broadband technology that will allow speeds of up to 43.2 megabits per second. The new wireless technology will double the current download speeds and improve the customer experience for mobile internet access. The higher speed will allow customers to download an MP3 file of five megabytes in less than a second, a video clip of 35 megabytes in less than six seconds and a movie of 800 megabytes in about two minutes. The operator is currently testing the technology and in tests shown to journalists found average download speeds of around 37.8 megabits per second.

Too good to be true? And why Portugal?

Rik

Easier to get the coverage there, less planning restrictions? :dunno:
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

dujas

Well the UK's 2.6GHz band or 4G auction was meant to take place in 2008. But a legal challenge from T-Mobile and O2, and more recently, the implications of the Digital Britain report, have meant that the auction probably won't take place until 2011 at the earliest.

I also don't know if a 4G connection could match the latency of ADSL/VDSL.

colonelsun