Googles latest idea

Started by Steve, Feb 01, 2010, 18:30:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Google plans a change to how DNS requests are made,this will involve part of your own IP address being sent along with the request,

http://googlecode.blogspot.com/2010/01/proposal-to-extend-dns-protocol.html
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

I'm really not sure I like that idea. :(
Rik
--------------------

Steve

Wouldn't make any difference to a UK user are IP addresses distributed geographically I suspect not.
Steve
------------

Rik

They are, Steve, though I can never quite work out the block allocations.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Never knew the sites relied on your DNS server for your location. I now know how to watch US webcast series ahead of the UK release! :D  (No, it does not work. And I wanted to see the new series of Heros. :( )
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Steve

Not sure its quite like that Ben, someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.Each domain must have an authoritative name server which may be located anywhere and the requests via Idnet go through their local DNS cache.
Steve
------------

Niall

Well that couldn't be any clearer if they screamed "we don't trust any of you, you're all thieves and we want to watch what all of you are doing all of the time".

I can't see any way they have of justifying this at all. If they do switch to this method, I'm never using Google again.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Steve

The idea was Google's in conjunction with others but the information will be via the (your domains) authoritative name server and the reply will depend on the clients IP address. So it won't matter whether you use Google or not.
Steve
------------

Niall

I was just looking at this a minute ago, and have just realised how far across the web Google and their little schemes have gone. No longer are they the friendly company they once were, it would seem. It's all about the money now it would seem :(

You can bet your house on the fact the government will want a piece of this action to monitor what people look at/download on the web.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Simon

I have long thought Google was getting too big, and was turning more 'big brother' by the day.  It's one of the reasons I haven't bought an Android phone!
Simon.
--

Rik

We need a new Google, without the ambition to know what we ate for breakfast and what our inner leg measurement is. :(
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I'm sure it won't be long before Google contains our medical records and DNA.
Simon.
--

Rik

If they haven't already got their mitts on them. ;(
Rik
--------------------