100m broadband by 2017 - wonder if it's an idea or a promise?

Started by Inkblot, Jan 31, 2010, 11:47:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

colonelsun

Rik

Rik
--------------------

kinmel

Quote from: colonelsun on Feb 01, 2010, 17:49:12
So...nobody voting Conservative then? :whistle:

Well there are certainly fewer and fewer reasons for Tories to vote "Dave"
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

colonelsun

I'm abstaining....again. I'm hoping a low turnout will make the election null and void....surely there is a theoretical number at which voters dip below that make an election illegal.

kinmel

Quote from: colonelsun on Feb 01, 2010, 22:11:52
I'm abstaining....again. I'm hoping a low turnout will make the election null and void....surely there is a theoretical number at which voters dip below that make an election illegal.

Nope, first past the post wins even if it is your own !
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

dudwell

Maybe we'll need neither copper nor fibre soon?

From Reuters UK:-

Vodafone Group Plc's Vodafone Portugal Prepares 43 Megabits per Second Mobile Internet Offer-Telecompaper Europe
Monday, 1 Feb 2010

Telecompaper Europe reported that Vodafone Group plc's Vodafone Portugal will launch in 2010 a new High Speed Packet Access Dual Carrier mobile broadband technology that will allow speeds of up to 43.2 megabits per second. The new wireless technology will double the current download speeds and improve the customer experience for mobile internet access. The higher speed will allow customers to download an MP3 file of five megabytes in less than a second, a video clip of 35 megabytes in less than six seconds and a movie of 800 megabytes in about two minutes. The operator is currently testing the technology and in tests shown to journalists found average download speeds of around 37.8 megabits per second.

Too good to be true? And why Portugal?

Rik

Easier to get the coverage there, less planning restrictions? :dunno:
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

dujas

Well the UK's 2.6GHz band or 4G auction was meant to take place in 2008. But a legal challenge from T-Mobile and O2, and more recently, the implications of the Digital Britain report, have meant that the auction probably won't take place until 2011 at the earliest.

I also don't know if a 4G connection could match the latency of ADSL/VDSL.

colonelsun