After migration

Started by psp83, Mar 06, 2007, 12:56:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Hi Paul

Sorry to hear of your situation. I don't think you will get very far with BT, but it might be worth pushing via your existing provider. Until migration takes place, they are the only ones who can apply pressure for you. IDNet are powerless as you are not their customer yet. :(

The other thing to try is an email to BT's CEO, ben.verwaayen@bt.com. He does have a hands-on style and might just rattle some cages for you.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

Talking to tiscali is like banging you head againts a wall. it hurts and doesn't get you anywhere :P

I've tried phoning them and they hung up on me and i wasn't being abusive or angry 2 them.

How long does BT CEO take to respond? as if its not today then theres no point in contacting him as migration is due to be completed tomorrow.

Rik

It would be worth contacting Ben, imo, to ensure that no-one messes up the migration. He's usually very fast to respond. You may also get some compensation...
Rik
--------------------

psp83

I'm back here to let some steam off again!!!

BT really are a joke.

They told IDnet i would be connected by 8am today.
8am came and went, so i phoned idnet and they contacted BT. BT said they cant give an eta now and might not have an connection till next week.

So my connection has been down since wednesday :(.

Contacted BT CEO, telling him i need my connection for work use and every day i'm loosing money because i haven't got an connection and that i will be invoicing BT for the lose of money.

But a good thing about this is, I now know IDnet support is great :) its a pitty they don't have more control over BT :(

Rik

I'm really sorry to hear you're still having problems. It's a pity Ofcom doesn't have more control over BT.  >:( Hopefully, your email might stir things a little.

The worrying thing is, at the rate BT are moving, you'll have become a Guru here before you actually get connected to IDNet.  :timeout:
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Finally, after a very long and painfull migration, thanks to BT.

I am now an idnet(ter) :)

My first speed test.

Rik

Welcome aboard, we're glad you finally made it. :) Have a karma to celebrate!
Rik
--------------------

psp83

back at ya :P

Will be able to give my connection a full test when i get home from work later..

Hopefully i will get better speeds than i did with tiscali. So far, it looks like i will :)

Rik

Thanks. :)

You know, I can feel you have a bad headache developing from here. I think you should go home early, say about 1:15? ;) :out:
Rik
--------------------

psp83

I would if i could, but i have a deadline to finish, and thats due tomorrow. And theres loads to do still..

I went home early last week suffering a bad migraine :( thats what i get for working with computers all the time  >:(

Lance

Welcome to IDNet, at last! Glad you finally made it over!
Lance
_____

psp83

Rik

Quote from: psp83 on Mar 19, 2007, 13:16:34
I went home early last week suffering a bad migraine :( thats what i get for working with computers all the time  >:(

I think monitor quality and ambient lighting have much to do with how stressful the work is. My own machines leave me quite relaxed after 10-16 hours/day, but some of the machines I have worked on have caused me significant eyestrain and headaches after just a few hours - it used to be much worse with CRTs, of course, especially those with a 60Hz refresh rate.

Oh well, only a few hours to nirvana! :)
Rik
--------------------

psp83

i'm not finishing work till 8pm tonight, then probly will have to do some more when i get home from the office if i can be bothered and not play battlefield 2 :D

At home and at the office i use 19" Flat screens. Brightness and contrast matches the the darkness off the wall behind the monitor so there no difference between the two causing problems with the eyes. Plus the desks areas are well lighted,

On the other hand, i do suffer from migraines. the doctor told me to find a different job if it continues, but theres no way i'm giving up on being a webdesigner and the good money :P

Lance

I'm guessing that the screens are against a wall, perhaps it may be the case that your eyes don't get a chance to focus on anything in the distance for a long enough period. If all you have is a wall in front of you, every now and then turn and try to focus on something in the distance for 10 seconds or so.
Lance
_____

Rik

Sound advice, Lance, or should that be visual advice? :)

I have a window to my left, so I just let my eyes wander off to infinity every 30-40 minutes. It helps to deliberately blink every few minutes too.
Rik
--------------------

psp83

everywhere i look in the office theres a computer or someone hitting one lol :p

The monitor is about a foot away from the wall but there are other things i do tend to read or look at, at the side off my desk. I also get up and walk around for abit every 30mins. But i end up walking to one off the other coders and giving them help, so i tend to be looking at a monitor for atleast 8+hrs a day..

Guess i should just walk out the office now and again during the day.

Also if anyone can give advice on some good screen wipes as i've ran out and the last ones was rubbish, left the screen all horrible.

Rik

Best thing I know is something called Solution 30, from opticians, coupled with a Calotherm micro-fibre cloth. Both are intended for specs, but do a brilliant job on monitors.
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Well i must say. so far so good. Speed hasn't dropped below 5meg tonight :)

RobMc

I agree with Rik. A good microfibre cloth is best for cleaning screens. I got one with my lcd tv and it gets used for all the lcd monitors I have. Occasionally I have to resort to using standard screen wipes first especially when I've been shouting at some of my code that doesn't work  :o

One thing that surprised me recently is the difference between my desktop tft monitors and my new laptop screen. The laptop has one of these CrystalBrite screens (a shiny one) and it's so crisp, clear and easy to read that I wish I had one on my desktop.

Rob.

Rik

Quote from: psp83 on Mar 19, 2007, 22:26:52
Well i must say. so far so good. Speed hasn't dropped below 5meg tonight :)

I'm reet chuffed for thee! :)
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: RobMc on Mar 19, 2007, 22:48:06
One thing that surprised me recently is the difference between my desktop tft monitors and my new laptop screen. The laptop has one of these CrystalBrite screens (a shiny one) and it's so crisp, clear and easy to read that I wish I had one on my desktop.

Rob.

Yeh i know what you mean, my laptop has a CrystalBrite screen. But it can be to brite sometimes so i normally put the bightness right down.