Disconnect when phone rings

Started by Spiny, Feb 03, 2010, 18:35:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiny

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

After about 6 rings on my phone line, my ADSL gets disconected & resyncs. I've tried all the obvious stuff to diagnose it including the following:

• Disconnecting ALL phones
  • Swapping the microfilter on the modem (while phones disconnected, I have 3 filters)
  • Removal of BT i-Plate
  • Connecting my DSL router directly to the test socket

The router is on the master socket.

I'm out of ideas now :(

Glenn

If it still does it in the test socket, it's either the router, or something on the line for BT to look at. You will need to contact support to raise a ticket to get them to take a look.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

PuncH

Just one more to add to the list...

• Call support!

You've done everything I would have done, except perhaps trying another cable from the phone socket to your router if that's possible?

Rik

If it happens with no phone connected, it sounds like one of BT's exotic fault, such as a high resistance joint (though they usually work the other way). You've done everything I would suggest, short of trying another router if you can. I'd suggest you contact support if you can't so that they can test your line.
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Well, we seem to be pretty much in agreement. :)
Rik
--------------------

Spiny

Thanks all - I'll give them a buzz.

sobranie

Try changing channels on the router which can be the cause.
If that doesn't work .... are you using DECT 'phone(s)?  If so try googling 'dect phone makes internet drop' (another known cause).

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Lance

I used to have this behaviour from a faulty router.  :P
Lance
_____

Simon

Just a thought, but if it's always after six rings, could it be some sort of answering service kicking in, which could be causing it?
Simon.
--

Lance

Six rings is probably just the time it takes for the router to decide it can't find the signal and to resync.
Lance
_____

Spiny

Hmmm, support didn't want to know until I've tried anoter router  :( Looks like I'm into buying new kit just to diagose a BT problem.

A friend of mine in Whistable had a similar problem, apparently there's an acknowledged disconnect-on-ring problem across the UK with exchange kit. He needlessly bought a new router too, but in the end it was apparently to do with some dslam kit they'd "upgraded" at the exchange. They shifted him back over to older kit to cure the problem.

Oh, also, I looked at my stats. My downstream margin seems low too 3-4db:

DSL Modulation Mode:         G.dmt
DSL Path Mode:            Interleaved
Downstream Rate:         7072 kbps
Upstream Rate:            832 kbps
Downstream Margin:         3 db
Upstream Margin:            12 db
Downstream Line Attenuation:   38 db
Upstream Line Attenuation:      10.5 db
Downstream Transmit Power:      12 db
Upstream Transmit Power:      5 db

Simon

Quote from: Spiny on Feb 05, 2010, 21:07:35
Hmmm, support didn't want to know until I've tried anoter router  :( Looks like I'm into buying new kit just to diagose a BT problem.

Can IDNet not lend you one?
Simon.
--

wecpcs

Quote from: Spiny on Feb 05, 2010, 21:07:35
Hmmm, support didn't want to know until I've tried anoter router  :( Looks like I'm into buying new kit just to diagose a BT problem.

A friend of mine in Whistable had a similar problem, apparently there's an acknowledged disconnect-on-ring problem across the UK with exchange kit. He needlessly bought a new router too, but in the end it was apparently to do with some dslam kit they'd "upgraded" at the exchange. They shifted him back over to older kit to cure the problem.

Oh, also, I looked at my stats. My downstream margin seems low too 3-4db:

DSL Modulation Mode:         G.dmt
DSL Path Mode:            Interleaved
Downstream Rate:         7072 kbps
Upstream Rate:            832 kbps
Downstream Margin:         3 db
Upstream Margin:            12 db
Downstream Line Attenuation:   38 db
Upstream Line Attenuation:      10.5 db
Downstream Transmit Power:      12 db
Upstream Transmit Power:      5 db

I can loan you a Netgear DG834Gv4 router as it appears you live in Kent as you have a friend in Whitstable and I live Leysdown on the Isle of Sheppey, so you could collect it if you want to, to save buying a new router unnecessarily.

Colin

Simon

Good of you to offer, Colin.  :thumb:
Simon.
--

Spiny

Quote from: wecpcs on Feb 06, 2010, 13:34:05
I can loan you a Netgear DG834Gv4 router as it appears you live in Kent as you have a friend in Whitstable

Thanks for the kind offer Colin, but I've managed to find a neighbour who has just upgraded their adsl router & loaned me their old one. That one exhibited the same problem. I'm almost a bit disappointed really, as it would have been within my own power to fix if I just had a duff router.

IDNet got me to request a copper line test from BT which also checked out OK, so they're contacting BT at their end to see what the problem is.

A bit of googling suggests it may be something called a High Resistance fault?

I'm a way aways from Ken - Wiltshire, but I've been to see my friend in Whitstable a couple of times - a very nice area of the country :)

nowster

Disconnection on ringing is usually a sign of a discontinuity on the line.

In our case, I know there are some dodgy joints about 1km down the line that BT will not fix. It's not worth reporting it to Support, as I know that they'll be charged for a "No Fault Found" visit. Most of the time the line is OK (syncing between 3.5Mbps and 4.5Mbps on ADSL MAX, with 56.5dB attenuation) but there is occasional line noise, temporarily cured by taking the phone off the hook for a minute or so. Occasionally, an incoming call will cause sync to be lost.

Support will have tools to test the line. If they can show something wrong with the line (eg. "Earth A"), according to the tools, that's something that BT should fix without charge.

Lance

A No Fault Found visit is charged to the end customer, not support. :)
Lance
_____

nowster

Quote from: Lance on Feb 09, 2010, 13:20:23
A No Fault Found visit is charged to the end customer, not support. :)
What I meant was: IDNet will be charged, and they'll have to pass the charge on to the customer. BT Wholesale (Openreach) won't charge the customer directly.

Simon

No, I believe BT charge you directly.
Simon.
--

Rik

Nowster is right,  if the callout is for ADSL, the charge is on the ISP who then passes it to the customer. If it's on the voice, then the voice provider passes it on.
Rik
--------------------