ip profile, noise margin and net like the 90's

Started by OllB, Feb 02, 2010, 20:27:42

Previous topic - Next topic

OllB

At the weekend i lost sync a couple of times and then the sync came as 180/768 :eek4: its normally just sitting at about 1824 sync. After doing all the usual stuff to troubleshoot the line and having bt do a line test there was nothing wrong on my side with hardware etc and as usual bt claim nothing wrong with their side.

Sat night-sunday morning the sync increased to 1824/832 (i know it is pretty low but unfortunately as i live about as far from the exchange as is possible) and has been stable since, i have spoken to support who have told me to ring back tomorrow if i still see no increase in speed so that they can give bt a nudge. Just wondering if it is normal to not even have a slight increase in ip profile after 3 days of stable sync rate specially as my sync has increased by a large amount.

Also wondering about the noise margin, Upstream is 7db and downstream is 10db. should i really be getting such a difference between up/down noise ratio ?

I just want to be able to get faster downloads than 16kbps was pretty happy with 200-250kbps before this hiccup. the damn ads on most pages make browsing hell, specially the ones that change image alot  :rant2: :rant2: :rant2:

Glenn

The profile should start to recover within 3 - 5 days I believe.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

:welc: :karma:

The upstream and downstream noise margins are independent of each other,the downstream margin being controlled by the dslam (assuming adslmax from your upstream sync)at your local exchange, the default is 6, so yours is either a quiet 9 or a noisy 12. you won't seen any major change in downstream sync until your margin is lowered either automatically or via a nudge from BT.

Sounds like you need an ad blocker as well ;D
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

:welc: :karma:

How many phone extensions do you have in the house, what's connected to the line?
Rik
--------------------

OllB

Router is always plugged directly into master socket with only 1 phone and router connected via filter. Have been in contact with support again today and they are looking into the problem  :thumb:

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: OllB on Feb 03, 2010, 11:16:17
Router is always plugged directly into master socket with only 1 phone and router connected via filter. Have been in contact with support again today and they are looking into the problem  :thumb:

Are there any hard-wired extensions though?
Rik
--------------------

OllB

Quote from: Rik on Feb 03, 2010, 11:33:07
Are there any hard-wired extensions though?

There does seem to one extension that i believe is not currently attached to the line, when the bt engineer came out to activate the line about 6 months ago he tested it and said it was dead and no longer attached to the line.

From the master socket i can follow a single wire to the little box at my front door that then has a single brown wire going out and up to the bt equipment on the wall outside. So i'm guessing that the line has no other extensions or any thing else attached.

Rik

Are there any wires on the back of the faceplate?
Rik
--------------------

OllB

no wires attached to the faceplate

I think trying to fix my line quality is a lost cause and can only hope that it becomes stable
once again, my tenancy is up 1 month and i might just move as close to the exchange as i can. I live in the Durham dales so as you might imagine the lines are pretty bad here anyway. :mad:

Currently i live at least about 7-8km away from the exchange which results in me having 63db attenuation so i will never see anything above 2meg anyway

Rik

That's true, but you have the compensation of the scenery... :)
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Where are you in the Dales, I have friends who used to live in Stanhope?
Glenn
--------------------

OllB

I live in stanhope and like Rik said i can put up with the slow net as it's such a nice place and has wonderfull scenery. Like today the surrounding hills are white with a sprinkle of fresh snow and a rather large Heron is standing on the river bank near my house  :thumb: After 9 years of living in Lincolnshire I'm really loving the surroundings here.

My net is back to normal now too :great: