It's goodbye to IDNet, but not IDNetters

Started by PuncH, Feb 12, 2010, 23:30:23

Previous topic - Next topic

PuncH

I'm over the other side...Nacton Road near Murrayside School.

We know there is a world of difference between Suffolk and Norfolk folk  :D

Lance

Not to mention us Essex folks in Colchester :)
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

PuncH

Now Essex is a different matter altogether!  ;)

Rik

London!!!  :o Anyway, I don't make Norfolk jokes, only ones about girls from Norfolk High.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: bobleslie on Feb 15, 2010, 17:11:00
I'm retired, and it suits me fine. 

I also like the increased allowances coming in April on 21CN. ;)
I could never justify the price for peaktime usage, I'm way over 10GB, it would just be to expensive, and my evening usage is minute, AAISP is great if you use very little daytime, (I Think) but I do, and that always will rule it out, but its good to see another nice provider doing well.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

cavillas

Quote from: Lance on Feb 24, 2010, 22:43:17
Not to mention us Essex folks in Colchester :)

NEVER mention us Essex folks at all...we are the silent powerful types who run the World in silence. :evil: ;D
------
Alf :)

Gary

Quote from: cavillas on Feb 25, 2010, 09:09:47
NEVER mention us Essex folks at all...we are the silent powerful types who run the World in silence. :evil: ;D
The cult of Colchester vs the Illuminati, I think the latter wins just by its heritage  ;) unless you are all aliens from another planet, and are operating Thetans in which case you ripped off the Scientology movement, even then its all a bit Norfolk like to me  :hide2:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

bobleslie

Quote from: Gary on Feb 25, 2010, 08:36:22
I could never justify the price for peaktime usage, I'm way over 10GB, it would just be to expensive, and my evening usage is minute, AAISP is great if you use very little daytime, (I Think) but I do, and that always will rule it out, but its good to see another nice provider doing well.

No, you certainly couldn't with a M-F 9-6 usage of 10GB. I must admit, I was concerned when I moved.

However, the reality for me is that my wife and I actually use just less than 2GB M-F 9-6 and the rest off-peak. We seem to be achieving an underusage of 2 Units each month (It rolls over) which gives us a total of 4 units each month to play with at a monthly cost of £17.95.

From April 2010, on 21CN, if I worked, I could spend my 4 units on 400GB of evening/weekend downloading or 8GB of Daytime downloading; or a combination of the two.

IOW for the more average usage person the daytime restrictions may be less of a problem than they think even if they don't go to work.
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

Pix

Quote from: bobleslie on Feb 25, 2010, 12:52:47
IOW for the more average usage person the daytime restrictions may be less of a problem than they think even if they don't go to work.

In my very brief spell with AAISP, the usage bands seemed to be self defeating. The huge gap between daytime and evening cost meant that everything slowed right down after 6pm with everyone going on at the same time. As for the even cheaper band between 2 and 6am, the one time I tried to use it my speed never got over 1Mbps (and rarely that high) on a line that should be getting about 7.

I also found I didn't want to turn my PC on before 6 - I'd only need Acrobat Pro to download an update and I'd have used 3 times my daily allowance before I'd actually done anything. Now we have the increased limits, I much prefer IDNet's system. I don't have a problem with AAISP's in principle, but the 100 fold difference between peak and off-peak seems excessive.

bobleslie

When were you with AAISP, Pix, and how long did you stay?
=Bob=.
Sky/Easylink LLU. Thankfully! ;-)

Pix

It was a month or two back and I only stayed for around a week. To be fair to AAISP, I didn't exactly give them much chance to sort the problems out and I'm sure my experience wasn't typical. They wanted to send out an engineer to look at the line but I was very skeptical as to whether it would get me anywhere. The fact that the speed dropped so clearly at peak times didn't make me think it was a line problem + my line was fine for 3 years with IDNet before and has worked perfectly from the moment I migrated back.

I'd have given them more of a chance but I only went with them as a test to see if I wanted to buy FTTC off them and with the speeds I was getting on ADSL I made that decision pretty quickly. Since I moved back, IDNet offered me the chance to pilot FTTC for them and I even got a free installation thrown in so I definitely made the right decision. Just got it installed this morning so I'm giving it a test run at the moment.

Steve

Quote from: Pix on Feb 26, 2010, 11:55:29
Since I moved back, IDNet offered me the chance to pilot FTTC for them and I even got a free installation thrown in so I definitely made the right decision. Just got it installed this morning so I'm giving it a test run at the moment.

Go away. ;D
Steve
------------

Rik

You're just trying to make us jealous, aren't you. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Pix

If I was trying to make you jealous I'd have posted the speed :evil::-

Actually, that speed isn't even possible so I think its broken speedtest.net. On the downside, the upload is far less than I was expecting.

Rik

It would be interesting to see a BT test. :)
Rik
--------------------

Pix

I'm just getting:-

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

if I try the BT checker. Not sure if I need a service id?

Rik

It may be the line isn't fully registered in its new incarnation yet.
Rik
--------------------

Pix

I'll try it in a few days then and see if it springs into life. Its a lot quicker than I'm used to anyway.

Getting FTTC installed has been something of a pain between cancelled BT Openreach appointments and confusion this morning over who should be providing the modem & router. Simon at IDNet seemed to think I should be able to connect directly to the modem but the Openreach engineer disagreed as it wouldn't provide an IP address. I'm still far from clear about it but I've been able to stick my username and password into my old router and use the WAN port on it to connect to the provided modem. As far as I can tell, I'd have been without broadband for a bit if I hadn't had a router that could do that.

Rik

It'll be a bit of a learning curve for everyone, I suspect.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Quote from: Pix on Feb 26, 2010, 12:57:11
Getting FTTC installed has been something of a pain

I think it'll be worth it in the longer term!
Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Pix

Quote from: Lance on Feb 26, 2010, 13:13:49
I think it'll be worth it in the longer term!

True enough and I can hardly complain since I've not actually paid anything yet. I hope it goes a bit smoother for everyone else though as there have been problems at every stage of the process, I can see why IDNet would want to run a pilot now. The worst one was the day I spent waiting around for the installation only to find out afterwards that there was a glitch in the BT ordering system and the order had been cancelled without anyone being told.

The low upload speed is apparently because I'm on the base product btw and it's waiting to be upgraded.

Pix

Quote from: Rik on Feb 26, 2010, 12:26:34
It would be interesting to see a BT test. :)

Tried it again and it worked this time.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 32617 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-35270 Kbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is -35270 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1603 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2000 Kbps

Rik

Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Rik on Feb 28, 2010, 15:27:00
I can but salivate. :)

Which will only make a mess on the keyboard and possibly short out your router.