Dead in the water?

Started by Rik, Feb 23, 2010, 11:40:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

The BBC is suggesting the 50p 'broadband tax' is not going to happen:

QuoteNow a report by a committee of MPs has effectively rubbished the whole policy, arguing that the government should keep out of next-generation broadband and worry far more about the detail of its plans for a universal service.

The report comes from the Business, Innovation and Skills Committee made up of MPs from across the parties - three Conservatives, six from Labour and two Liberal Democrats.

Along with some rather bland stuff - "We welcome Ofcom's intention to produce a second report on duct access" - it comes up with some pretty damning conclusions.

On the Universal Service Commitment, the MPs say this has "a budget of £200 million, without a clear definition of what it means". And they're unhappy about the body set up to work out how to get 2Mbps to everyone by 2012, the Network Design and Procurement Group.

They say this "will define its own targets, delivery mechanisms and terms of reference. This is not acceptable".

But it's that telephone tax - 50p per month for every landline to raise billions for fast broadband - which gets a real pounding:

"We believe that a 50 pence levy placed on fixed telecommunication lines is an ill-directed charge. It will place a disproportionate cost on a majority who will not, or are unable to, reap the benefits of that charge."

The MPs believe the charge is unfair, and if the government wants to fund fast broadband, it should be done out of general taxation.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Gary

Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

It will appear somewhere else instead.  ::)
Simon.
--

Rik

Of course, new name, new package.
Rik
--------------------