IDNet Reliability. What can I expect?

Started by Mopy, Feb 21, 2010, 15:38:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopy

Afternoon :)

I just registered today after seeing very positive reviews of IDNet broadband, and I'm looking at migrating tomorrow.

A quick background: I'm with Zen at the moment, and while they haven't let me down, their 25GB usage doesn't seem to be going anywhere, which is a problem as my usage is double that. My main concern is reliability and peak rate speeds.

With Zen, I've had no more than three or so 30 minute downtimes over several years. Can I expect the same from IDNet?
In addition, I lose no more than about 10% of my speeds at peak rate than off peak. Is it the same story here?

Finally, are there any small print limitations other than allowance that I should know about? Any restrictions on web browsing, for example blocked sites, speed caps at certain times or after using an amount of allowance within a short space of time?

Thanks.
Mop

- Edit: Thanks Rik. Sorry about that :)

Rik

There's no speed loss at peak times unless you have a local BT congestion problem, the IDNet network is deliberately under-subscribed to ensure that. The only downtime I've had has also equated to less than 30 minutes over 3+ years. I think you'll be quite happy here. :) Welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

I second what Rik has said, I've been with Idnet since June 2006 and have had no problems with them at all in that time, and  :welc: :karma:
Ray
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

cavillas

Quote from: Mopy on Feb 21, 2010, 15:38:07
Afternoon :)

Finally, are there any small print limitations other than allowance that I should know about? Any restrictions on web browsing, for example blocked sites, speed caps at certain times or after using an amount of allowance within a short space of time?

No restrictions on web browsing, no blocked sites, no speed caps imposed at any time.or because of useage.  You get the full speed and full access to the web and if you go over the paid for allowance then you get charged at £1.00 per Gb again with no imposed restrictions, caps etc....ever.

Enjoy your time here, you'll get to like the forum as well.
------
Alf :)

adamr8965

hey mopy i've been with idnet since jan 2010, best move i ever made. Never loses any speed get a speedy 6.85mbps day and night.

They have also just given very generous increase in download load allowances from the 1st of feb.

quandam

Mopy

Welcome, as Rik says no problems with IDNet whatsoever, but you may have a problem if your exchange is heavily used thereby causing congestion.

PuncH

You won't get any problems with IDNet.

It's BT you need to look out for. I had approx 24 hours of downtime in three weeks over Christmas, due to one of the main 21CN Bras' breaking. Not IDNet's fault and BT did fix it eventually.

The same fault affected several thousand people in the east of England and a lot of ISP's.

Simon

Simon.
--

Mopy

Excellent. Thank you for the information and the warm welcome. Seems like a nice happy place here ;)

And so, the deed is done. Now to wait for the MAC code to arrive and I'm in :)

All the best,
Mo

Rik

They have five working days to issue it after which you can complain to Ofcom.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Just to add to what everyone else has said, you wont go wrong with Idnet, great service and wonderful customer service, and no thrills and spills to make it sound more spicy, it just works well.  :karma: you wont regret your decision  :thumb:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Fox

Mopy.......named after the fish? I used to game with someone of that name. If its the same guy hello again, if it isn't hello for the first time and I don't think you will regret your decision to join IDNet ( especially now the new (large) download allowances are in place).
True power doesn't lie with the people who cast the votes, it lies with the people who count them

Mopy

Hi Foxy! Small world ;) Good to see you're still about. We'll have to catch up on msn sometime soon. I see you there a lot, just I'm hiding/working.

The MAC code has arrived from Zen, as speedy as ever. All filled in and sorted now, although I didn't receive a confirmation e-mail of my registration which was a bit odd.

Still, looking forward to not being at zero allowance on the 20th of the month any more.

Rik

You'll get an email with an activation date, plus your login details. Once you have this, you can create email accounts, set up web space, blog and photo album.
Rik
--------------------

tobykim

I'm interested in knowing what happens when it goes to off peak with the new allowance. I'm on 20cn and was previously with plusnet and although there were ups and downs I could usually get a good speed off peak, anyway I decided in my wisdom to migrate to adsl24 under the murphx package and think I've made a huge mistake. I don't download a lot (my usual usage is about 30gb for the month) but do like to use downloads off peak as my desktop is upstairs. Last night off peak I was lucky if I could get speeds of 2mbps and this is on an 8128 connection which usually receives speeds of about 6.8mbps. I think I've jumped from the frying pan into the fire and that there are too many big hitters on adsl24, I should have realised and suspect it will get worse when enta customers come over, does the same thing happen with idnet.

I did have a choice of 2 to migrate to idnet was one guess I made the wrong choice

Rik

I get full speed from my line 24/7. IDNet's network is deliberately under-subscribed so there should never be any congestion, except in the BT link, which they have no control over. As IDNet has a large proportion of business users, the balance of network loading is quite even throughout the day.

Welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:
Rik
--------------------

Ray

:welc: :karma: my experience is the same, and I'd agree with Rik's comments.
Ray
--------------------

Steve

:welc: :karma: I see a degree of local BT exchange congestion in the evening and the rest of the time its full throttle.
Steve
------------

tobykim

Excellent, just what I need, I was with Zen for quite a while and was thinking of going back but the offering idnet have seems much better value Thanks fir the info look forward to seeing you all soon, I got my mac in anticipation

Steve

Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

tobykim

Well the deed is done thanks for all your help  :karma2:  :thnks:

Rik

We look forward to seeing you amongst us. :)
Rik
--------------------