IDNet Reliability. What can I expect?

Started by Mopy, Feb 21, 2010, 15:38:07

Previous topic - Next topic

DorsetBoy

Quote from: scosystems on Mar 07, 2010, 18:47:03
So it's a bit like a hotmail account, first come first served? In other words if my full name is already in use full.name@idnet.com I'm out of luck?

Yup, but all ISP's I have been with do the same.  You can have as many accounts as you want though, I usually have 2 or 3 for use in different places. ;)

Rik

'Fraid so, I hope you didn't want rik or santa. ;)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

scosystems

Quote from: DorsetBoy on Mar 07, 2010, 18:50:53
Yup, but all ISP's I have been with do the same.  You can have as many accounts as you want though, I usually have 2 or 3 for use in different places. ;)

Ah I see, it's just that other ISP's I been with, you have a username which would make sure that you could have your own name.
Is there any way of checking before signing up, as not having my full name in my email would be rather anoying....... :-\

Rik

I doubt that forename.surname@idnet.com would be taken, but you could ask support.
Rik
--------------------

scosystems

Knowing my luck............. :(, or worse than that mine will be available but the missues wouldn't! :'(

Rik

It's possible, a call to support would confirm, but, of course, it could still be taken after you sign but before your account was active (usually a day or so after you start the migration process).
Rik
--------------------

Inkblot

Quote from: scosystems on Mar 07, 2010, 19:04:57
Knowing my luck............. :(, or worse than that mine will be available but the missues wouldn't! :'(

You always have the option of purchasing a domain name which gives you total freedom in email addresses. Not sure how they compare to others but I use www.freeparking.co.uk who will sell you a .co.uk domain name for less than £10 for 2 years which comes with unlimited pop3 email addresses so you could be husband@domain.co.uk and wife@domain.co.uk. Another advantage is that it's not tied to your ISP, should you ever change ISP (Obviously not likely to happen if you join IDNet :)) your email stays the same.

Oh, and you can of course set up multiple emails to avoid spam or at least know who is passing your details on - I have emails for things like Sky, CarInsurance, Amazon, PayPal and so on, each of them forwards to my 'real' email :)

scosystems

Quote from: Inkblot on Mar 07, 2010, 19:16:42
You always have the option of purchasing a domain name which gives you total freedom in email addresses. Not sure how they compare to others but I use www.freeparking.co.uk who will sell you a .co.uk domain name for less than £10 for 2 years which comes with unlimited pop3 email addresses so you could be husband@domain.co.uk and wife@domain.co.uk. Another advantage is that it's not tied to your ISP, should you ever change ISP (Obviously not likely to happen if you join IDNet :)) your email stays the same.

Oh, and you can of course set up multiple emails to avoid spam or at least know who is passing your details on - I have emails for things like Sky, CarInsurance, Amazon, PayPal and so on, each of them forwards to my 'real' email :)

Thats something I should be looking into - thanks for that  :thumb:

scosystems

Is is also possible to move up or down in packages free of charge? not sure if home plus or home pro would be best at the moment. :-\

quandam

Quote from: scosystems on Mar 07, 2010, 18:41:41
I think your right!

Sco

It is left to me to bring things a little down to earth. There is, as you can see, some frivolity around  here to enjoy but should you need some sensible, useful, meaningful and very friendly advice and guidance then these facets are also provided free of charge.

Enjoy the frivolity but always remember that there is a slightly more serious side to the forum should you require it. Oh! Welcome to IDNetters ;)

scosystems

Quote from: quandam on Mar 07, 2010, 21:02:16
Sco

It is left to me to bring things a little down to earth. There is, as you can see, some frivolity around  here to enjoy but should you need some sensible, useful, meaningful and very friendly advice and guidance then these facets are also provided free of charge.

Enjoy the frivolity but always remember that there is a slightly more serious side to the forum should you require it. Oh! Welcome to IDNetters ;)

Not sure if I seem to have upset anyone with my question  :-\ if so then sorry  :(

quandam

Quote from: scosystems on Mar 07, 2010, 21:12:11
Not sure if I seem to have upset anyone with my question  :-\ if so then sorry  :(

Upset anyone? I very much doubt it ;D Things are very relaxed here and they don't know the meaning of the word 'upset'. Relax and enjoy the ride ;)

scosystems

Just checking! dont want to upset people before I have even joined LOL.

Steve

They are fairly flexible about the packages no extra fee is charged except for the supermax and superpro packages which have BT traffic priority and work is required at the exchange.I would suggest start on the cheaper and keep an eye on the usage and upgrade if and when required this can be done at anytime.
Steve
------------

Baz

upset any one???? not me.......just dont mention EBUYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :mad: :mad:

and dont listen to any one who says DO mention them  ;D

scosystems

Well thanks for all the advice and tips, now to go and decide to join  :) or not  :'(.....

D-Dan

The decision is already made - whether you know it or not. So let me be the first to say, once the decision is made:

:welc: as a fully paid up member :)

Steve

Ermm - somoene did notify him of the subliminal "Sign up" messages throughout this thread, didn't they. I'd hate for us to have to go through ANOTHER court case for not warning them?

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Rik

;D

We don't get upset Sco, we just want to make sure we don't upset you.
Rik
--------------------