Wireless router

Started by NeilC, Feb 21, 2010, 18:38:15

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilC

Hi folks,

I tried to introduce a wireless Linksys router to my father-in-law's setup this afternoon (he has IDnet as ISP, Netgear router). It didn't work, so after faffing about for a bit we went back to basics of removing the wireless router, plugging phoneline/ADSL into his Netgear router (via the splitter), and then the networking cable from the router to the back of his PC.

However, this no longer works either. It's the most direct connection that we can make to the internet, but it's almost as if my Linksys corrupted his connection to the ISP.

The Netgear router displays a connection to the internet (the green light is on), his PC says it's connected to the LAN ok, we've tried unplugging, replugging, turning off and on again. But still nothing.

Tearing my hair out now. Every connection seems to be fine and yet no web pages load on any machine, no matter how connected to the network.

Any ideas?

Rik

Are you getting an IP address in the connection page of the Netgear, Neil? I'm wondering whether you might have a stale session - how long did the changeover take you?

Welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

NeilC

Hi Rik,

Thanks for the rapid reply.

Are you talking about the control panel for the Netgear (i.e. 192.168.0.1 etc...)?

I've actually turned everything off for half an hour (currently using my mobile phone as a modem to do this) and am just about to return to it. Do you think this is likely to have reset any stale session?

Steve

:welc: :karma: Neil. Could be as Rik suggested,leave disconnected for 30 mins or try a false password for the IDNet username.
Steve
------------

Rik

Yes, the connection status page within the web interface of the router, Neil. If there's no IP address, check the log and see if CHAP authentication is failing (which would suggest a wrong username or password). Half an hour should be adequate to reset any stale session.
Rik
--------------------

NeilC

Thanks both. I couldn't see where to check the IP (I'm kind of at the limit of my technical knowledge) but the log does suggest CHAP authentication is failing. LCP is "allowed to come up" though, for whatever that's worth.

However, the username and password is correct...

:-/

Rik

Put in a call to support, no connection counts as an emergency. 0800 701 2000. We can keep guessing at what might be happening, but they will be able to see the line and know. Expect a response within a couple of hours.

If you're absolutely sure the username/password is correct, then it sounds like a BT issue.
Rik
--------------------

NeilC

That's my instinct, Rik. Especially as everything else seems to be right.

But it seems like a hell of a coincidence for the connection to drop the minute I start messing around with it....

?

Thanks for all your help!

Simon

Sorry I can't be of any more help, Neil, but  :welc: :karma:
Simon.
--

NeilC

Thanks Rik!

Through blind perseverance (re-entering all the details into the account settings again) it seems to work, so at least my wired access to the internet is working again. Had a good look through some other forums and it appears that the wireless router doesn't like the Netgear router unless you can make it act as a modem only.

Currently researching...

:-)

Steve

You should be able to use the Linksys router in bridge mode attached to the Netgear , the Linksys needs to be set to NAT, DHCP and firewall off and give it a static IP outside the range of the Netgear DHCP server. If you use the Netgear in modem only mode you need to ensure you've got a PPPOE to PPPOA bridge setting in the Netgear (WAN to LAN) to connect via adsl to IDNet.
Steve
------------

NeilC

This is no longer strictly an ISP related query, but maybe you can help me anyway.

I've managed to get everything up and running in a basic fashion (just using Netgear modem/router) and, after looking around the dark recesses of the web, have discovered that if I switch my Netgear DG834 to Modem Only mode (through this apparently secret page of the router's control panel: http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm) I should in theory be able to use my Linksys WRT54GL as the wireless router.

Having done this, however, I've no idea what to do next.

Take a lead straight from one of the "outs" on the Netgear into the "Internet" port on the Linksys?

Do I need to do any control panel tweaking in either bit of hardware?

NeilC

Quote from: Steve on Feb 21, 2010, 21:04:29
You should be able to use the Linksys router in bridge mode attached to the Netgear , the Linksys needs to be set to NAT, DHCP and firewall off and give it a static IP outside the range of the Netgear DHCP server. If you use the Netgear in modem only mode you need to ensure you've got a PPPOE to PPPOA bridge setting in the Linksys to connect via adsl to IDNet.

I'm going to pick that apart syllable by syllable and hope that I understand it through a process of trial and error!

Thanks Steve...

:-)

Steve

In addition to my last post I couldn't reliably get a Netgear in modem only mode to work with an additional router and connected to IDNET ,however I did it manage with a Draytek Vigor 120 modem and a router.

You need to get the Linksys to connect via pppoe with the Netgear in modem only mode,but as I said ,good luck.
Steve
------------

Steve

In essence the Linksys in bridge mode will act as a wireless point for the Netgear plus provide additional ethernet ports. The Netgear acts as the router,modem, DHCP server and NAT firewall. The static IP address for the Linksys is to take it outside the range of the Netgear DHCP server and thus avoid any conflicts. I've had it working with a WAG54GS,just plug a cable between the PC and the Linksys and adjust the settings then remove from the PC and plug it into a Netgear port
Steve
------------

Lance

Maybe I'm missing something, but could you not just use the Linksys in place of the Netgear? I.e as a straight replacement.  ???
Lance
_____

Steve

You could! ;D

but you can't as the Linksys WRT54GL doesn't have a modem
Steve
------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------