ADSL2+ disappointment...

Started by peterbeaumont, Mar 04, 2010, 19:59:01

Previous topic - Next topic

peterbeaumont

My local exchange was recently converted to ADSL2+, so I upgraded.

11 days in and (apart from the increase in upstream speed), I basically have the same performance as before.

Router stats...

Rate: 5040 kbs 875 kbs
Max Rate: 5040 kbs 876 kbs 
Noise Margin: 5.9 dB 7.9 dB 
Attenuation: 45.5 dB 24.9 dB 
Output Power: 19.7 dBm  12.4 dBm

Ok, so maybe I didn't expect wonders, but if 5040:8000 = 5040:24000 makes sense, then maybe that musty, yellowing mathematics degree in the bureau drawer was a practical joke?

BT myths rule, ok?

Glenn

Peter, what does a BT speedtest show on your line?
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

peterbeaumont

Download Speed
4044 Kbps

0 Kbps 7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 4044 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5040 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 874 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 15.65:21.96:62.39 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes

Glenn

To me it looks like the profile is stuck, maybe a stale session. Try powering off the router for around 30 minutes, that may clear a stale session. Have you spoke with support about the connection?
Glenn
--------------------

peterbeaumont

Yes, I have been in touch with Support, they said that the rate I achieved at the end of the 10-day training period was probably the best I could expect from the line.

I'll unplug the router for a while and start again later.

peterbeaumont

I powered down the router and this is what it now shows:

Down                             Up
Rate:       5154 kbs          875 kbs
Max Rate: 5154 kbs          876 kbs 
Noise Margin: 6.2 dB         6.5 dB 
Attenuation: 45.6 dB       24.8 dB 
Output Power: 19.9 dBm  12.5 dBm

I'll have another look tomorrow.

Hatari

I would have thought with a 45.5dB attenuation on ADSL2+ 6MB would be good and for that the line would have to be interference free. Do remember that ADSL2+ uses up to 2.2MHz to transmit the BB signal rather than 1.1MHz of G.dmt or ADSL. It is therefore more susceptible to interference.

If you have extensions or a Skybox, if you have not already, try removing the ring wires. See broadbandadvice.org.uk ring wire article
Hatari :)

Steve

Its up to spec though for the sync rate, the IP profile of 4000K is correct,I believe adsl2+ has been known to run with a margin of 3db but as Hatari said you would need to be noise free. Just wonder whether a BT2700 HGV would perform better.
Steve
------------

peterbeaumont

Without wishing to sound ungrateful to the last 2 posters, I'm not interested in the technicalities (and my router is a 2-Wire, the internal socket/filter/wiring/sky boxes/rf devices/waffle-maker etc. etc. are all ok.

My only point was - and I return to my original comment...

If 5040:8000 = 5040:24000

Then just what is the point of it all??? Do I now have to wait another 10 years until FTTC hits my street?

DorsetBoy

Quote from: peterbeaumont on Mar 05, 2010, 08:03:47
Without wishing to sound ungrateful to the last 2 posters, I'm not interested in the technicalities (and my router is a 2-Wire, the internal socket/filter/wiring/sky boxes/rf devices/waffle-maker etc. etc. are all ok.

My only point was - and I return to my original comment...

If 5040:8000 = 5040:24000

Then just what is the point of it all??? Do I now have to wait another 10 years until FTTC hits my street?

Yup, the only thing is to wait for fibre/cable/LLu.

I moved 5 years ago and my ex neighbour was surprised at the 5540 he got when Max was introduced as the exchange was not exactly close by. ADSL2 came along and the upgrade resulted in a huge (not) leap to 6200.

The attenuation of the line is what governs the throughput you can achieve .Closer to the exchange and you would see a much different story.

Hatari

:) Peter, I can understand the frustration. As you know the further you are away from the exchange the slow the broadband speeds. ADSL2+ is capable of giving greater speeds and longer reach.  Theoretically with an attenuation of 45.5dB it makes a difference of about 0.5 to 1M, which assumes everything else is perfect.

So simply you are unlikely to see any major speed improvements at your distance from the exchange.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: peterbeaumont on Mar 05, 2010, 08:03:47

I understand how you feel, my connection took a dive when I switched to WBC once BRAS kicked in and that was on a much lower attenuation that yours. On the positive side I believe you do get a more generous usage allowance so it's not all gloom.
zap
--------------------

Rik

I, otoh, gained 1Mb on a 57db line. The whole thing rides on the quality of the line, Peter, as much as the attenuation/length. Try running Routerstats for a 24 period and see what is happening to the noise margin.
Rik
--------------------

peterbeaumont

Ok thanks for all your comments...still makes me wonder about whether our country will ever have a truly high-speed internet infrastructure for people living more than 3 doors down from their local exchange.

One other question though - if a particular service provider has an LLU presence at an exchange, does that offer a potentially better or faster service? Or are the constraints exactly the same as those via the BT system?

Rik

The last mile is the same whatever provider you go to. The only benefit of a move to LLU is to do away with the annoying BT profiles, which can offer some speed improvements, as can the tweaking of the line that Be, for example, offer. I've just been involved in a trial of this, shortly to be launched by BT, and IDNet got an extra 1Mb out of my line.
Rik
--------------------

Hatari

As Rik says, it is that last link the line from the exchange to the home that is the cause of all the slowness. Now if we actually get Fibre to the cabinets everywhere then there is a chance that we could catchup with other countries :)

Rik

Only they'll have moved further on  by then. :(
Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Hatari

But then the cost of fibre to the home will be relatively cheap  ;D and it could be a choice thing

Rik

The choice atm is to pay significantly more, of course.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Is there a price plan for FTTC connections?
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Not that I'm aware of, Glenn, but BT were charging about £40pm iirc.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Rik

That's way cheaper than I thought, Lance.  :thumb:
Rik
--------------------