ADSL2+ disappointment...

Started by peterbeaumont, Mar 04, 2010, 19:59:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance

Certainly makes it an easy choice once BT have enabled the exchange!
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Niall

Strange that they seem to think security is less important if you have the cheaper package.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

You're forgetting this is BT, Niall. ;)
Rik
--------------------

joe

Are the benefits of BTInfinity fibre optics going to be available to all or only BT customers. I see that my area is scheduled for Sep-10 (if that can be believed).

Steve

My thinking is LLU should be able to pick it up at the exchange,otherwise with a widespread FTTC roll out they would be non competitive on ADSL2+ only.TalkTalk have been involved in FTTC trials

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/news/talktalk-joins-fttc-trials-794.html
Steve
------------

Hatari

Whether other than BT customers can get infinity will depend on whether the other ISPs contract to buy it from BT at your exchange :)
Hatari :)

Steve

We have to my knowledge one forum member involved with FTTC trial with IDNet
Steve
------------

john365

I get  Line Attenuation   Down =58.5 dB    up=29.0 dB and a  bit rate of 4683   Kbps down and    995   Kbps up, according to BT I should be getting 6meg.
cest la vie!

Although is does sometimes shoot up to  about 5 meg, well that was before migration yesterday, I am guessing Ill have to wait for the 10 days for the line rate to stabilise on the adsl2+ service as I was on a max product before.

Tonight its all seems very sluggish.

I have tried testing this before with a different router and on the test socket, is doesn't seem to make a difference. I think im stuck with it, as Cable has never reached this street its highly unlikely we will get fibre any-time soon :( Join the slow broadband club.

Tacitus

Quote from: john365 on Mar 06, 2010, 19:58:19
I get  Line Attenuation   Down =58.5 dB    up=29.0 dB and a  bit rate of 4683   Kbps down and    995   Kbps up, according to BT I should be getting 6meg.

You should be so lucky.  I have an attn of 55dB and I'm struggling to get a reliable 2Meg connection.

john365

Back in the bad old days I would be lucky to to get 300 baud from my Epson modem.. hang on, isnt this part of the thread a sketch by the Monty Python team ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Hatari

Quote from: john365 on Mar 07, 2010, 06:38:27
Back in the bad old days I would be lucky to to get 300 baud from my Epson modem.. hang on, isnt this part of the thread a sketch by the Monty Python team ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Lovely they were the days lol

peterbeaumont

One final post...before I give up and be grateful for what I have.

I just did a BT speedtest...

Download speed 5793

DSL connection rate 5578

IP Profile for your line is 4000

Is this unusual? Or a peculiarity of ADSL2+?

On ADSL Max, I never saw an actual speed higher than the line profile.

Hatari

I would guess those figures are from the BT tester.

What is the actual connection rate on the router?

peterbeaumont

Yes,those figures are from the BT Speedtester - isn't that what I originally said???

And my router is operating at the figure shown there too.

Steve

The only time I've seen a download speed greater than router sync speed is with concomitant use of AV software, Kaspersky Internet Security Suite being a classical culprit. It does say in the FAQs "Please close all other applications/ browsers that are running on your PC."
Steve
------------

Hatari

Quote from: peterbeaumont on Mar 07, 2010, 08:53:57
Yes,those figures are from the BT Speedtester - isn't that what I originally said???

And my router is operating at the figure shown there too.

Thank you Peter  ::) Always need to be sure before jumping onto the keyboard.

I would normally expect the speed to be between 80 and 85% of sync.

Agree with Steve this could be cause by AV software, although that is normally a much greater difference.

Try  booting the PC (assuming windows OS) in Safe mode with Networking and redoing the speed test.