This may be great news for some, it is for me!!

Started by hells bells, Mar 04, 2010, 21:39:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

Once an exchange is listed does anyone know how the work would be carried out?  EG would the new cabinets be arranged such that nobody on an exchange would be more than (say) one mile from the cabinet?  Alternatively would OR install a couple of cabinets in the area simply to say they are making progress and the rest of the area can whistle?

Sis exchange is on the list and from memory she is about 300 yards from the cabinet - around a couple of miles from the exchange.  If they do upgrade this cabinet, she should easily be able to get full speed on ADSL2+

Meanwhile out in the sticks I shall have to be happy with my 2Mb (on a good day) connection.....

Rik

I suspect, but don't know, that new cabinets would be co-located with existing ones as the cable ducting, both in and out, will already exist.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Mar 07, 2010, 11:19:46
I suspect, but don't know, that new cabinets would be co-located with existing ones as the cable ducting, both in and out, will already exist.

I agree Rik, but what I was wondering is whether all cabinets serving a particular exchange would be upgraded or merely a select few.  IE sufficient for the OReach PR droids to claim they are working miracles but leaving a fair section of the population with nothing much.

Rik

If they put fibre into an area, they may choose a subdivision of the exchange, Tac, depending on whether they can get planning permission, have backhaul capacity etc.
Rik
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: Rik on Mar 07, 2010, 17:08:33
If they put fibre into an area, they may choose a subdivision of the exchange, Tac, depending on whether they can get planning permission, have backhaul capacity etc.

In other words even if an exchange is on the list it doesn't mean the upgrades will benefit everyone in the area.

An awful lot of people are going to feel they've been had......  :(

Rik

They will, I'm afraid. In most cases, and exchange will mean an exchange, but in some instances, planning permission or technical issues may leave holes.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Thsi is old news http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/30/bt_fibre_again/ but one point that caught my attention is
QuoteOverall the upgrades will be about 75 per cent fibre-to-the-cabinet, offering up to 40Mbit/s downstream, and 25 per cent fibre-to-the-premises, offering up to 100Mbit/s downstream at first. BT hasn't disclosed which exchanges will get which technology.

Looking around my estate, I can't find any cabinets.
Glenn
--------------------

Technical Ben

I'd be happy to dig the 100 foot to the local exchange if IDNet/BT want to trial any hardware...  ;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

I'd have to go a few kilometres, so I'll let them. :)
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------