Poor Connection speeds since migrating to ADSL2+

Started by ShadowHunter, Mar 24, 2010, 11:51:22

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowHunter

Hi.

I used to get a constant 6.8 Meg connection on ADSL1 but since migrating to ADSL2+ before Christmas I am now only synching at 6654 Kbps and am only getting 5.3 meg speeds on various speed tests sites (with no background apps connecting to the internet)...

I have a CRYSTAL clear phone line and am 835 metres from my exchange but my noise margin is 23.8 and has been around this mark since before Christmas.

I have tried plugging into the test socket, a different wireless router, a wired router, professional ADSL2+ filters, I've tried connecting from my netbook, my dads laptop and even my HTC hero but all give me the same poor download speeds.

I have reported it to IDNET many times and they sent a BT engineer out the week before Christmas and they dug up the road but it made no difference.

IDNET now say my line cannot support any higher than 5.3 megs but I was getting a constant 6.8 Megs with IDNET on ADSL1 and did get a 12.5 meg connection on ADSL2+ for a few weeks, so I know higher, stable speeds are possible.

Please can anyone give any further advise on this as I don't want to leave IDNET but will have to look elsewhere if this can't be resolved soon as I feel I have put up with it long enough..

Rik

Hi and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

If BT have worked on the cable, it suggests an acknowledged fault, so moving ISPs will take the fault with you. I suspect BT have tried to improve things and failed, so have decreed that that speed is all your line can support. What downstream noise margin does the router report?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

:welc:  Many people can only dream of speeds like yours, but someone will be along soon to offer some advice.  :)
Simon.
--

Simon

Simon.
--

Niall

I don't think it's IDnet. Some people see less stable lines with ADSL2+ as it's more sensitive to noise (apparently, I read that on a forum, so it may not be true!).

My sisters connection is ADSL2+ on the same exchange as me and they have a constantly dropping phone line and the DSL drops randomly too. When I see a problem, like a slight drop in speed and my router re-syncs, my sister who lives less than half a mile away (but only about 400 yards further from the exchange than me) has an almost complete loss of internet. In the last week or so it's been terrible for them, with either the phone not working at all, or the internet connection being totally lost. On Saturday they had no internet all day.

IDnet are looking into that for them, and an engineer is coming out to test their line. I'm not sure what the problem is for them as 30 yards from them, our friends have a crystal clear line and only see the issues that I do.

Personally I just think ADSL2+ is far less stable than the up to 8mb service, unless you've got an extremely good line with an exchange that has no problems.

{edit} Blimey, 3 people posted while I was typing :D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Quote from: ShadowHunter on Mar 24, 2010, 11:51:22
I have a CRYSTAL clear phone line and am 835 metres from my exchange but my noise margin is 23.8 and has been around this mark since before Christmas.

Further thought. The maximum target noise margin BT sets is 15db, so your higher figure suggests noise pickup.
Rik
--------------------

Niall

What causes noise on a line Rik? I was talking to my sisters other half the other day about this, and I can only remember back in the 56k days when you could request BT to "turn up the volume" on a line to increase your speed. I have no idea if something at the BT end is altered that can cause issues on the line for your ADSL, but it's the only thing I can think of :D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Electrical equipment in the main, Niall, inside or outside the premises.
Rik
--------------------

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Niall

Hmm. My sisters router (the old rock solid Zyxel one I used previous to my Netgear) sits next to the PC, and there are a couple of speakers in the room, but it's nothing more than I have in mine so I doubt it's that causing it.

Personally I think they're having line issues as the phone is dropping out too. I've given them the new filters that I had spare and that made absolutely no difference. That leaves the internal wiring which I believe they will be replacing after the engineer has been, just to make certain everything is as good as it can be.

That being said, their profile was 5800ish before the problems started, where as mine is 11000, dropping to 10000ish when something odd happens in this area, which oddly increases my upstream speed. I suppose that's a limit of the line itself. Still, as it's only about 400 yards further from the exchange, basically same distance in a straight line, then an additional right turn! I really can't see why they would have such a different speed to me in more or less the same distance on the same exchange if it isn't a line fault.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Quote from: ShadowHunter on Mar 24, 2010, 11:51:22
IDNET now say my line cannot support any higher than 5.3 megs but I was getting a constant 6.8 Megs with IDNET on ADSL1 and did get a 12.5 meg connection on ADSL2+ for a few weeks, so I know higher, stable speeds are possible.

I've had a chat with support about your problem. DLM has banded your profile, and you're getting the top end of that banding. Banding is introduced as a stabilisation tool when the error count is high. IDNet are requesting that the banding be removed, which should give you an improvement within a few hours. However, if the speed than drops again, DLM is still unhappy with the error count.

In the meantime it will pay you to check for any noise pickup within the house. What else is connected to the phone line, how many socket do you have and how is the router connected, flat or round cable?
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: Niall on Mar 24, 2010, 12:13:31
That being said, their profile was 5800ish before the problems started, where as mine is 11000, dropping to 10000ish when something odd happens in this area, which oddly increases my upstream speed. I suppose that's a limit of the line itself. Still, as it's only about 400 yards further from the exchange, basically same distance in a straight line, then an additional right turn! I really can't see why they would have such a different speed to me in more or less the same distance on the same exchange if it isn't a line fault.

High error count due to noise pickup is the most likely cause, Niall. What are the respective d/s attenuation figures?
Rik
--------------------

Niall

Super Rik to the rescue (with a bit of help from support :P)  :thumb:

I've just got off the phone to my sisters other half and BT have replaced something outside the house, stating it was short circuiting. It also looks like the internal wiring is a bit knackered and old, causing problems with noise. Hopefully it'll be sorted soon :)
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

If the line is dropping out, there's a real chance BT will fix it.  :)
Rik
--------------------

Niall

I think they have from what I was just told. When he gets over his cold, he shall be buying lots of new cabling for the house. I think, from what I've heard/seen that it should resolve the issue. There's nothing else it really could be.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Not really, unless there some heavy electrical plant along the route of the line.
Rik
--------------------

Niall

There's nothing like that near the town centre. All major things like that are nearer the industrial estate about 4 miles away, thankfully!
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Steve

Hi ShadowHunter
:welc: :karma:

I think you got some advice earlier on if you can find it ;D

PS Did someone forget something? :whistle:
Steve
------------

ShadowHunter

Blimey Rik !!
;D

Couldn't believe it when I logged on tonight..

Synching at 16247 and just did a speed test and got this result:-

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1269551905&v=9574778

(And if I haven't linked to that correctly, it's a download speed of 13643 Kbps !!!)

;D ;D ;D

Now that's what I call an improvement!!

Just got to pray now that it keeps at that level as I've already seen errors on my Router's stats...

Line Mode   ADSL2+       Line State   Show Time   
Line Power State   L0       Line Up Time   00:23:32:11   
Line Coding   Trellis On       Line Up Count   1   

Statistics   Downstream   Upstream   
Line Rate   16247 Kbps   834 Kbps   
Noise Margin   6.1 dB   10.5 dB   
Line Attenuation   30.0 dB   13.9 dB   
Output Power   20.1 dBm   12.4 dBm   
MSGC (number in overhead channel data)   70   24   
B (number of bytes in Mux Frame)   142   34   
M (number of Mux Frames in FEC Frame)   1   2   
T (Mux Frames over sync bytes)   3   4   
R (number of check bytes in FEC Frame)   12   16   
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Frame length)   0.2810   2.6667   
L (number of bits in PMD Frame)   4413   258   
D (interleaver depth)   96   8   
Delay   6 msec   5 msec   
Super Frames   5133698    5133696    
Super Frame Errors   89    3    
RS Words   1170483208    174545664    
RS Correctable Errors   930350    103    
RS Uncorrectable Errors   1870    0    
HEC Errors   81    0    
OCD Errors   1    0    
LCD Errors   0    0    
ES Errors   0    0

Do these stats indicate any possible causes for the problems I have been experiencing? and do you think my speeds will gradually slow down again if these errors continue?

Thanks again!!

;)

Rik

That error count looks OK for the up time on the router. Hopefully, problem solved.  :fingers:
Rik
--------------------

ShadowHunter

Hi Rik !

After the amazing results you had before do you think you could work some of your magic again?

After enjoying my high sync rate and getting 14 or 15000+ Kbps since my last post I returned from a 2 week holiday (during which my router was powered off) only to find that my sync rate had dropped to around 8000 Kbps.. it has since climbed to 11670 but my noise margin has risen from its stable 6.1 dB (since my last post) to it's current 13.4 dB.. and after giving it a few more weeks, my sync rate doesn't seem to want to climb any higher..

It's been stable for the last 6 months so I'm assuming that having my router off for the 2 weeks was seen at the exchange as a loss of sync and it upped my noise margin to compensate but I KNOW that it can support these higher speeds as it has been doing a great job of it!!

I appreciate this sounds a little greedy when others are struggling to get even a fraction of this but we all want the best speed that we can achieve and I am sure with a little of your magic my speeds can return to their former glory, which will hopefully stop the buffering i'm getting on BBC iplayer and the like.

Many thanks in advance

Neil.

Rik

Hi Neil, powering the router off would not have this effect - in fact I always advise people to power down routers while they're away.

Can you run a BT speedtest for me and post that and your router's stats (sync speed, noise margin and attenuation).
Rik
--------------------

ShadowHunter

Hi Rik..

BT test results are as follows:-

Download speed achieved during the test was - 8992 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :11668 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 828 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 9000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 14.4:19.43:66.17 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

Router stats:-

Line Power State   L0       Line Up Time   00:04:45:26   

Line Rate   11670 Kbps   828 Kbps   
   Noise Margin   13.4 dB   7.8 dB   
   Line Attenuation   30.5 dB   14.3 dB   
   Output Power   20.9 dBm   12.4 dBm   
   MSGC (number in overhead channel data)   61   24   
   B (number of bytes in Mux Frame)   174   34   
   T (Mux Frames over sync bytes)   2   2   
   R (number of check bytes in FEC Frame)   14   16   
   S (ratio of FEC over PMD Frame length)   0.4785   2.6667   
   L (number of bits in PMD Frame)   3160   258   
   D (interleaver depth)   64   8   
   Delay   7 msec   5 msec   
   Super Frames   1068381    1068379    
   Super Frame Errors   3    319    
   RS Words   143163160    36324886    
   RS Correctable Errors   202278    7066    
   RS Uncorrectable Errors   70    0    
   HEC Errors   3    0    
   OCD Errors   0    0    
   LCD Errors   0    0    
   ES Errors   0    0    

So my download speed is around 4500 Kbps slower than what I have been enjoying since my last post..

Thanks again!

Neil

Rik

Your profile is 1M slow for your sync speed, otherwise throughput looks OK. Noise margin has risen, which suggests line instability.

Can you repeat the BT speed test tomorrow (after tonight's engineering work) and I'll then have a word with support. Meantime, if you can move to the test socket, disconnect everything else from the line and check the router stats again, that would be helpful.
Rik
--------------------

ShadowHunter

Rik

NP. :)

Until we get tonight out of the way, we're not sure whether we're chasing shadows, it's major work BT are doing. It may have no effect on your speed, but it makes sense to look again once they're finished.
Rik
--------------------

ShadowHunter

Hi Rik..

Stats tonight (plugged in via BT test socket with nothing else on line) are as follows:-

Line Power State   L0       Line Up Time   00:00:00:23   

Line Rate   11007 Kbps   828 Kbps   
   Noise Margin   14.7 dB   8.7 dB   
   Line Attenuation   30.0 dB   14.3 dB   
   Output Power   20.7 dBm   12.4 dBm   
   MSGC (number in overhead channel data)   64   24   
   B (number of bytes in Mux Frame)   158   34   
   R (number of check bytes in FEC Frame)   12   16   
   S (ratio of FEC over PMD Frame length)   0.4608   2.6667   
   L (number of bits in PMD Frame)   2969   258   
   D (interleaver depth)   64   8   
   Delay   7 msec   5 msec   
   Super Frames   1429    1427    
   Super Frame Errors   0    2447    
   RS Words   200198    48518    
   RS Correctable Errors   0    7977    
   RS Uncorrectable Errors   0    0    
   HEC Errors   0    0    
   OCD Errors   0    0    
   LCD Errors   0    0    
   ES Errors   0    0

Speed test is:-

Download speedachieved during the test was - 10026 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :11004 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 828 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 9000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 16.46:25.48:58.06 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

Download speeds seem slightly higher even though Sync rate has gone down and noise margin has gone up??

Still nowhere near the 14000+ speeds I have been getting for the last 6 months since you got suport to tweak it last.

Regards

Neil.

Steve

I dont think we see Rik again until tomorrow, but it looks like noise pick up from somewhere. If you can leave it in the test socket and see if it's stable with no resyncs you've a chance of increasing your sync. Unfortunately adsl2+ is much sensitive to noise than adslmax so it's not easy to solve.
Steve
------------

esh

This is very interesting. I get a fairly static 6.6Mbit on ADSL1 (the theoretical max being 7.1Mbit I believe) so I always assumed the wiring and everything was good here... interesting to know that going up to ADSL2 can cause so many issues. I really will think twice (three times?) before my exchange is upgraded....next year.

Following with interest; keep us updated.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

gingerjedi

I can only dream of the speeds you're getting, look what I've had since 2:00 PM (see sig). >:(

On the plus side it's the first time its managed to stay connected for more than 20 minutes.

Niall

I'm still baffled as to what happened to my line about a month ago when I had a LOT of noise on my line, and a lot of problems, then it went away by itself and now I get nearly 2mb more download, and my upload is over 1100 now ???
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

klipp

Gingerjedi a few months ago my upload was also higher than my download.  Turned out my netgear was dying.

Rik

Quote from: esh on Sep 09, 2010, 20:51:53
This is very interesting. I get a fairly static 6.6Mbit on ADSL1 (the theoretical max being 7.1Mbit I believe) so I always assumed the wiring and everything was good here... interesting to know that going up to ADSL2 can cause so many issues. I really will think twice (three times?) before my exchange is upgraded....next year.

Following with interest; keep us updated.

Most people do gain, Esh, I went from 2-2.5 to 3.5-4, and haven't had many stability problems, the more so since I took part in the trial where ISPs could override DLM (to be rolled out soon).
Rik
--------------------

Rik

Quote from: ShadowHunter on Sep 09, 2010, 19:51:03
Still nowhere near the 14000+ speeds I have been getting for the last 6 months since you got suport to tweak it last.

Hi Neil

As far as I can gather, your line has never been stable at 14M, and the BT checker shows its rate as being 9M now.
Rik
--------------------

klipp

Quotewhere ISPs could override DLM (to be rolled out soon)

OMG really?  That would be amazing.  I think the current system is terrible where users feel paranoid about restarting their routers for fear of BT punishing them with SNR increases.  Any news on when this new system will be introduce and how it would work?  Will we be allowed to select our own SNR? :)

Rik

No idea on date as yet. ISPs will decide the SNR, based on what they see. In my case, we tried 3db but it was unstable, so settled on 6db. I was able to go to fast path, which DLM had always switched to interleaved previously.
Rik
--------------------

esh

That does sound rather neat. It gets my seal of approval! I'm sure you're waiting on BT of course, so we'll get this feature when we have FTTH.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Rik
--------------------

jezuk1

I've had some interesting experiences with ADSL2+ and the speed it runs at. When I first had it installed I remember the sync speed came in around 14Mbps. Over a few months the speed dropped down to 6Mbps (I don't really know how quickly this happened unfortunately as I wasn't watching or logging it) however one day I was downloading a file and noticed the slow speeds, logged into the router to discover this fact.

I spent alot of time checking phone lines, noise levels, etc without really revealing any problems (again Simon @ Idnet was extremely helpful). In the end we reset the banding (variable speed adaption mechanism) on the line and I watched again what happened however this time around, instead of turning my router off at night I left it on permanently. At first, again it synced at 14ish Mbps but this time it has stayed there for a few months now, perfectly happy and never dropping a sync. Sometimes the exchange tries to up the speed to 15-16Mbps but after a day or two it decides "no" and it goes back down to 14. Every now and again it drops to 13Mbps but after a few weeks of uptime, again the exchange makes a reset and it's back to 14 which seems to be the magic number.

So why did the speed drop down to 6Mbps? Well truth is that I probably will never know, certainly after resetting the banding I've had much better speeds. Nothing has changed in my premisis since the start (wiring, etc). My personal suspicion is that turning my router off at night wasn't helping - perhaps the equipment in the exchange considered my line to be unstable, and increased the noise margin accordingly (who knows!). I think the variable speed adaption is all very nice in general, but not so much so when it decides to run a line at 6Mbps when it's proven to be capable of 14Mbps.

Jez

Rik

Thanks for that, Jez. I think you're right. BT likes 24/7 routers even though, in theory, shutting them off at night should have no impact.
Rik
--------------------

ShadowHunter

Hi.

I'm in agreement with Jezuk1... although switching off my router every night (or rather my dad switching off my router every night to 'save on the electricity', despite my protests) didn't seem to have a negative affect on my sync rate until recently when it was off for those 2 weeks whilst I was abroad..

I think I may've been over stretching my positivity to say I was getting a stable 14M connection Rik but it's definately been averaging 12+M speeds since my first round of posts and the fact is, it's now 8983 Kbps.. so the fact remains that i've definitely lost a big chunk of speed from somewhere..

Do you think BT have reset my banding to how it was before the speed improvements?

And why should my sync rate have fallen from it's stable 16247 with a noise margin of 6.1 dB to it's current 11500 with a noise margin of over 14 dB?

My line is still crystal clear with nothing else attached, I'm plugged into the test socket and have again tried different laptops, pcs, wired routers and filters... the only thing that changed was that my router got turned off for more than it's usual overnight sleep so that must have something to do with it surely?

Do you think my speeds will climb back up if I can persuade my dad to leave my router on for a few days?

Or if I can persuade Rik to get my banding reset again?

;)

As with Jezuk1.. I'm sure that's the only thing that will push my speeds back up again..

Thanks again

Neil.

Steve

I'm not aware of a band around that sync rate I think it's just related to the raised noise margin. What I do know is that the exchange will not drop your margin if you keep turning it off every night. It needs a few days of stability with no resyncs.
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

ShadowHunter

Cool..

So my sync rate has now dropped to 7127 Kbps, my noise margin has risen to 21.3 dB and my download speed is now 3801 Kbps with an IP profile of 350 Kbps.. (that's what BT tester reports!) and all because my dad turns my router off every night??

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3801 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7124 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 828 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.56:24.01:66.43 (SBE:NBE:PBE)

?

So are you saying that my speeds will just get slower and slower ? (unless I can glue the routers plug socket into the wall?)

:'(

Rik

No, but it's not helping. I'd bet there's another, more major, noise problem going on.

What else is connected to the phone line, and is the router on an extension, or plugged straight into the master socket. (Apologies if you've already said, I've been in here 12 hours today, and I couldn't spot in while scanning the thread.)
Rik
--------------------

cavillas

I sometimes think that all the turning off and on of routers can lead to solder joints breaking down or other smaller components breaking down or degrading.  This sort of thing can lead to the sorts of results some people are seeing.  It could be a case of quality control in the long term useage not being up to scratch.
------
Alf :)

Simon

Interesting thought, Alf.  I wonder, though, if the same argument could be applied to leaving components on 24/7, given the heat some of them generate?  Trouble is, these days, nothing is built to last.
Simon.
--

esh

Devices of this kind tend to reach their thermal equilibrium quite rapidly; that is to say, leaving them on an hour would result in the same temperature as 24 hours assuming the environment does to change significantly. Inside a lot of networking equipment these days isn't very much at all -- a very sparse PCB with a couple chips soldered on and maybe a few caps and resistors tied to the physical ports. If the temperatures get very high then Alf is correct, if the substrate on the chips is not of sufficient quality then the constant heating/cooling puts strain on the solder points which can eventually break. Usually this would have to reach 80+ degrees in the immediate environment, which is why such an issue isn't too uncommon with graphics chips. Many of these vendors actually create extra solder points to cope with some breaking. Circuit connections within the PCB are another potential factor but less likely. Capacitors do tend to go from time to time, diodes especially, which can then muck up logic chips and the like, but as I said it's more likely everything just runs on an embedded processor rather than have lots of chips on a board now.

ShadowHunter

Sorry..

I've not been on my pc for a bit..

The router is connected to the mains via a 4 way surge protector, although nothing else is plugged into the 4 way extension.

My router is plugged into the only BT socket we have in the house via an 'ADSL Nation XF-1e professional ADSL2+' filter, it has one phone connected to it too but the line is still CRYSTAL clear!

I did notice though that Trellis is now set to 'Off' on my line when it was set to 'ON' before if that makes a difference!?

My sync rate is still 7127 Kbps and my noise margin is 20.8db.

I'm putting my dad forward for a job at IDNET as he's suddenly turned from a technophobe to a broadband expert having just told me that "It's a load of rubbish" that him turning my router off every night is not helping with the speed!

>:(

Thanks again!

Rik

You might want to try it without a surge protector. Poorly designed suppressors can cause low voltage problems for routers.
Rik
--------------------

ShadowHunter

Hi..

Well, I've had my router plugged into the mains (avoiding the surge protector) for a couple of days now, I did just restart it as I was reading about initial target SNR's displaying after a reboot but anyway.. my stats are as follows:-

Line Power State   L0       Line Up Time   00:00:06:46   
   Line Coding   Trellis Off       Line Up Count   1   

Line Rate   7127 Kbps   944 Kbps   
   Noise Margin   21.4 dB   5.0 dB   
   Line Attenuation   30.0 dB   14.2 dB   
   Output Power   20.4 dBm   12.4 dBm   
   MSGC (number in overhead channel data)   59   34   
   B (number of bytes in Mux Frame)   110   29   
   M (number of Mux Frames in FEC Frame)   1   4   
   R (number of check bytes in FEC Frame)   16   6   
   S (ratio of FEC over PMD Frame length)   0.4961   4.0000   
   L (number of bits in PMD Frame)   2048   252   
   D (interleaver depth)   64   2   
   Delay   7 msec   2 msec   
   Super Frames   25194    25192    
   Super Frame Errors   0    8831    
   RS Words   3275238    428264    
   RS Correctable Errors   0    39138    
   RS Uncorrectable Errors   0    0    
   HEC Errors   0    0    
   OCD Errors   0    0    
   LCD Errors   0    0    
   ES Errors   0    0

I believe my noise margin is still high at 21.4 dB, in fact I thought the highest was 15dB ??

Also, Trellis is still off and I'm sure it used to be on.. it certainly was when I was gettting my high speeds! and other forums have indicated to other users that this is some kind of error correction which would help with noisy lines like (apparently) mine.. even though my line has never had any audible noise on it when listening through the phones handset..

Is there any way to get this Trellis turned back on?

:fingers:

Thanks

Glenn

Call support, they maybe able to request it.
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Following on from what Glenn said, these settings are negotiated between the router and the MSAN at the exchange. Unfortunately as far as I am aware 'user tweaks' by programs such as DMT tools do not work on BT's line management of adsl2+.
Steve
------------

SSK

Quote from: ShadowHunter on Sep 29, 2010, 00:07:50

I believe my noise margin is still high at 21.4 dB, in fact I thought the highest was 15dB ??

When I first got ADSL2+ SNR was 6dB then within 24 hours it shot up to 27dB - so it can be greater than 15!   :(

It did very slowly over a few days come down on its own to 15dB with no sign of coming down further. Then support asked BT to restart the training period and it has been stable on 9dB for over a week now.

Maybe you can ask support to have BT restart the training period on your line?

Sean

Steve

We see higher margins greater than 15 with adsl2+ when a banded profile has been imposed.
Steve
------------

ShadowHunter

Ah right..

So i'm back to being banded again..

Sounds familiar!

I'm going around in circles!

I just don't understand how my sync speeds have dropped from 16247 to 11670 (where it was stable for 6 months or so since my initial posts) then dropped to 11007 and now to 7127.. ??

Slower than my ADSL1 speeds and the reason for my initial post !!

As i've said from the start, my phone line is Crystal clear (and I mean CRYSTAL clear!)

No noise, no hiss, no crackles.. NOTHING !!

What's going on ??

Glenn

Have you tried a different router, i didn't see mention of one through the thread? If you haven't, see if you can borrow one from a friend.
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

In addition to what Glenn said. I can suggest is plug the router into the test socket, leave it on permanently. Use Routerstats or Routerstats lite (if you adsl router supports it) to monitor your connection downstream margin. Collect some connection stats from the router and also collect a few BT speedtests. When this is in hand get onto support and see if they can suggest a reason.

ADSL2+ because of the higher frequencies used on the downstream side is more susceptible to the effects of noise as the signal is more easily disrupted
Steve
------------