Spam email sent from my hotmail account

Started by bridgej, Apr 05, 2010, 12:18:26

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgej

Hi

This morning at about 6.30, everyone in my contact list was sent a spam email about an iphone or something.

I am very careful about what I open in email attachments, which websites I visit. How has this happened.

My Norton antivirus is up to date and after a full system scan states everything is secure.

The other thing is all my contacts have disappeared my my contact folder, although I have found them deep in the bowels of Windows, but I am having difficulty restoring them.

Any ideas on how I can sort my PC out?

Thanks

Rik

Download Super AntiSpyware and run it from safe mode. You've undoubtedly picked up a trojan somewhere.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

DorsetBoy

Hmm, sounds more like they hacked your Hotmail account.  You will need to change your Hotmail/Live password and make it extra long. If you have problems with settings /contacts etc. get in touch with Hotmail/Live support.

bridgej

talos

DB is correct, the same thing happened to my account last week.  HM are aware, and I think there is a blog on the subject somewhere.  I just changed my log in details, password Etc and they stopped :thumb:

DorsetBoy

My neighbour has had it happen, he spent days chasing trojans etc. said it was all cleared up ( his PC is always full of garbage as he uses all the cracked software sites).......... 3 days later it all kicked off again. He reformatted his machine,I had said ask Hotmail/Live first,I am sure you have had your account hacked,but no he reformats.

What happens the first day he has his machine back on line  ::) ::)  200 + emails go out from his account.

People need to learn to use a REAL password .

Rik

You mean your name isn't good enough?  :o
Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Rik on Apr 05, 2010, 14:33:36
You mean your name isn't good enough?  :o

You jest but yes,I have seen that and even PASSword  ::) ::)

Rik

Not to mention opensesame and letmein...
Rik
--------------------

faircot

Quote from: Rik on Apr 05, 2010, 14:54:21
Not to mention opensesame and letmein...
I provide PC support to home users and small businesses around here and I can guarantee that if there's a cat or dog in the house, that's the password!

Rik

;D

That's an argument for buying a pedigree animal and using that name for the password and another for everyday use.
Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: faircot on Apr 05, 2010, 18:41:23
I provide PC support to home users and small businesses around here and I can guarantee that if there's a cat or dog in the house, that's the password!

;D ;D Guilty  :blush:  done that in the past, but after having a server hacked with a real but obviously not long enough password I make things difficult now.