Mains networking again.

Started by dudwell, Nov 14, 2010, 12:02:55

Previous topic - Next topic

dudwell

In my occasional role of IT consultant (!) on behalf of my daughter I'm suggesting a pair of home plugs as an improvement to her (slightly less than perfect) wireless network in a thick-walled Edwardian house.

At present she's on ADSL2 but fibre has appeared in her street and she might take up the option. Would fibre broadband influence the choice of home plugs?

Rik

I'm not aware of any home plugs which reach fibre speeds as yet. An ethernet cable might be your best route.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

Steve has tried 1Gbs plugs I believe, but had poor results with them, I currently use 200mbs plugs with no problems.
Glenn
--------------------

dudwell

Thanks Rik and Glenn. An ethernet cable could be a bit tricky and/or unsightly. With YouTube and iPlayer as the most demanding applications, no internet gaming, the 200mbps plugs seem worth trying.  If they don't work no doubt they can go back.

Steve

I can't recommend the 1Gb home plug although I did receive a warranty replacement but not had chance to re evaluate especially since wireless N is working so well at the moment
Steve
------------

mrapoc

What speed will the fibre be?

I should say 200mbps home plugs would be fine

Altho I do get occasional lag spikes on mine while game, possibly down to poor electrical wiring or electrical interference 

dudwell

Quote from: mrapoc on Nov 14, 2010, 14:34:08
What speed will the fibre be?

I should say 200mbps home plugs would be fine

Altho I do get occasional lag spikes on mine while game, possibly down to poor electrical wiring or electrical interference 

I believe the fibre speed isn't known yet, neither is it certain that she will go for it. As she doesn't do gaming I'm thinking 200mbps homeplugs are a reasonably safe bet. Thanks everyone. What an excellent place to come to for advice!

Gary

I gave up on home plugs, I get better speeds with wireless N over the 5Ghz spectrum. Allowing for error correction and other control traffic, and you're looking at a best-case scenario of 120Mbps. In the real word, the typical throughput lies somewhere between 50Mbps and 70Mbps. I got better speeds over 802.N
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

esh

I get 30-35 Mbps on an 85 Mbps set of plugs. They're about borderline for VDSL in other words, and easily do ADSL2.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011