Router & Switch for small business

Started by psp83, Nov 11, 2010, 16:11:42

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Anyone got suggestions for a router and switch (12 port) for a small business?

There's quite alot of data going through the network.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

I'd concur as quite a lot of networking pros seem to recommend them.

esh

HP ProCurve for switches do a fine job. After much battling with routers I packed in the towel and did it myself with a PC installed with pfSense. Obviously if you are deadly serious about it and want a service contract and the likes the safe  bet are Cisco who do a small business range (probably best to avoid the LinkSys branded ones though). I am guessing high end Cisco units and competing brands are probably a bit overkill for what you are after. Other folks might have better routing suggestions.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

pctech

I gather Netgear do some switches but never seen them used in a network I've used though.

At work we have ProCurve switches and a couple of big Cisco 6509 routers.

psp83

Thanks.

So I'm looking at this switch : http://www.ebuyer.com/product/223049, anyone used this one before?

Also I need to look for a new router that supports VPN, any ideas?

Our current router in the office is a Cisco 800 series and to be honest, is not very good.
Our network has random drop outs, servers on the network disappear for a short period of time, there's random slow downs (a bottle neck somewhere).

I've been given the job to rebuild the network to fix the problems.

MisterW

QuoteAlso I need to look for a new router that supports VPN, any ideas?
I'm using a pair of Draytek 2820's for a VPN between our office and remote site. Had them for about 4 months now and seem to be fine. They have dual WAN ports, WAN1 is ADSL and WAN2 can be either Ethernet or use a USB 3g modem. One of mine is directly connected to an ADSL line at the remote site and the one here is connected via Ethernet, using one of our spare Public IP's, to our existing network. They run an IPSec LAN-LAN VPN, pretty easy to setup and seem to work fine.

HTH