Interesting chart

Started by Noreen, Apr 07, 2010, 11:00:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

That seems wrong to me, Noreen. AFAIK, FTTC depends entirely on distance from the cabinet, not the exchange.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

That was my take on it too. Reading the article, to me it seems that BT will not have the capacity to provide the service at the full speed.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Nothing new there then. :(
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

That was my understanding and I'm a bit alarmed especially as I'm practically living in BT fibre cabinet.

I'm informed, although I have some doubts, that the reason I'm being told I can and can't connect to it all at the same time is due to a planning objection. If that really is the case they are quite welcome to relocate the horrible ugly box in my garden, I'll not object  ;D
zap
--------------------

Glenn

And you would get rent from it too  ;D
Glenn
--------------------

zappaDPJ

It's win win all around then  ;D
zap
--------------------

Rik

I've got the perfect spot for mine... ;D
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

Quote from: Rik on Apr 07, 2010, 11:48:09
That seems wrong to me, Noreen. AFAIK, FTTC depends entirely on distance from the cabinet, not the exchange.
If FTTC stands for Fibre To The Curb, Rik, then surely the distance from the exchange to the curb is relevant, isn't it, Rik?
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/21cn_acronyms.php

Glenn

It will be a fibre optic cable from the exchange to the curb/cabinet, so short distances (a few miles) shouldn't be a problem, the only losses will be from the cabinet over the copper/aluminium cables.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

It shouldn't be, Noreen, as there's no speed loss of fibre, regardless of distance. The speed loss starts at the cabinet. In my case, I'm 3.5km from the exchange and 213m from the cabinet.
Rik
--------------------

Noreen

OK, I didn't know that. :thumb:

Rik

Which makes the ISPReview chart very puzzling. Surely they know the difference? FTTC is essentially bringing your connection to BT's fibre network much closer to you than now. Coupled with different cabling and modulation we should be seeing speeds of 30M or more.
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

It even says
QuoteThe reality here is that a 100Mbps capable network is nice to have, especially for future proofing, but its real benefit to ordinary consumers will come from an ability to deliver minimum broadband speeds with greater reliability. For example, BT's Fibre-to-the-Cabinet ( FTTC  ) technology is capable of delivering speeds at up to 40Mbps but its minimum is in the respectably strong 12-15Mbps range.
But the graph is contradicting it.
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Weird, isn't it, Glenn. Perhaps they gave the 'artist' the wrong data?
Rik
--------------------

dujas

It looks to me like they taken the graph from another source and then added FTTC above the VDSL2 label. It's correct in that it shows what downstream transmission speeds would be against increasing line length (although VDSL2 can theoretically reach speeds of 100 Mbps at up to 500m), but obviously fails to account for BT's deployment of fibre from the exchange to the cabinet.

Rik

That would certainly make sense.
Rik
--------------------

esh

BT 22CN gives you 10,000Mbit if you live within 1m of the cabinet, otherwise it's the usual 1.5Mbit, except at peak.

;)
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Even if it's an extra 10CM? Hmmm, I might move my desk, for the extra 9,993Mbits it seems worth it!  :eek4:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.