What causes a CHAP time-out?

Started by Jimbo, Apr 06, 2010, 19:10:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

OK, another head scratcher.  Now that I have been unbanded, back to the original issue of this thread....

I have been on the Internet earlier and had no issues.  However, just before (about 5-10 minutes ago) I could not access any web pages again.  Router is showing as Connected and line is UP and zero errors.

I performed another ping of www.idnet.net and yet again, I am getting random packet loss.  Screenshot again below:-

This is with another Router.  What I have mentioned to support is that, whilst I have been in this banded profile, I've had no problems.  Yet the day or so after being put back onto my normal ADSL2+ service, I see this issue occuring again.  What could this be?  It seems fine again now.

???

So that's two Routers tested, same setup connecting to Master Socket with Filtered Faceplate and shielded ADSL cable and no new equipment in the home.  :'(

Steve

I am not sure,I know certain parts of BT 21CN network is congested at times, the symptoms being increased latency and packet loss i.e L-WAT BRAS is showing increased latency between 12-1700. I can't understand your error count of zero unless the router firmware is not reporting them as every line has errors to a lesser or greater degree.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Given banding cured the problem, Jimbo, I do wonder if your line is not able to cope at the higher speed. Collect a series of pings at different times and let support have them.
Rik
--------------------

Jimbo

Looks like I've been put back into a banded profile by BT.  :(  I think I might ask Support to put me back on ADSL Max and see if that helps.  What do people think?  Worth a shot?

Thanks again!

Rik

Worth a shot, Jimbo. You retain the upstream speed and bandwidth allowances, but hopefully your line will become more stable again.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Chaps...there was me thinking it was this  ::) http://www.thechap.net/
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Gary

Damned, if you do damned if you don't