The way forward for many ?

Started by kinmel, Apr 14, 2010, 07:45:22

Previous topic - Next topic

kinmel

Rutland Telecom has brought 40Meg Broadband to the rural village of Lyddington.

The ISP borrowed £37,000 from residents and instead of putting LLU in the BT exchange, they have paid for the LLU equipment to be installed in a cabinet in the village with a fibre cable back to the BT exchange.

It is claimed that the scheme breaks even with 50 subscribers, Lyddington has more than that and investors will have their money back within 3 years.

Part of the story is covered by BBC News
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

DorsetBoy

Interesting idea.......... I wonder how long it will be before BT suddenly adopt this and start installing in rural areas. They wont want to give up their trapped customers that easily.

Rik

I wonder how long before BT adopt this and start demanding a sizeable investment from customers who want higher speeds.  :eyebrow:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

If effectively the customer pays for all the installation, can they then charge BT for the use of their infrastructure?
Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Quote"Otherwise there is the risk of a local monopoly developing, which is never good for consumers," said BT Group Strategy Director Olivia Garfield.

I did think this was quite ironic coming from BT.
Glenn
--------------------

kinmel

If Idnet have clusters of customers in a particular area, it may be a way for them to grow their business
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Rik

Quote from: Glenn on Apr 14, 2010, 09:13:59
I did think this was quite ironic coming from BT.

Though not surprising.
Rik
--------------------