phones and network speed

Started by coreservers, Apr 13, 2010, 21:13:31

Previous topic - Next topic

coreservers

I think I've finally sussed out part of my speed issue. Other than the regular slow downs which have been very much less since going back to adsl.
My wife is currently on the downstairs cordless phone
and speedtest.net reads

If I wait until she's off (good god surely she must stop soon  :whistle: )

It'll take half an hour or so but it will go back to 5mb. Sooo what are the best cordless phones to use.

If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that 'says something' about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality

Glenn

You will get a lot of Panasonic recommendations
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

coreservers

and 10 minutes after she's off hte phone
If you truly believe you need to pick a mobile phone that 'says something' about your personality, don't bother. You don't have a personality. A mental illness, maybe - but not a personality

Technical Ben

Sounds like there is trouble with the bell wire or the filter. Sorry if you've already tried these. But they are cheaper than a new phone. So check out your extensions and filters first! :D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

And try re-siting the base base station. Otherwise, Panasonic.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

davej99

Quote from: coreservers on Apr 13, 2010, 21:13:31
I think I've finally sussed out part of my speed issue. Other than the regular slow downs which have been very much less since going back to adsl.
My wife is currently on the downstairs cordless phone
and speedtest.net reads

If I wait until she's off (good god surely she must stop soon  :whistle: )

It'll take half an hour or so but it will go back to 5mb. Sooo what are the best cordless phones to use.

I would repeat the test with an unpowered corded phone to verify a cordless phone problem. An off hook phone draws a DC current and this could be generating line joint noise and this will present at the modem.

Just to add in edit that cordless phones can operate in the same bands as WiFi (2.4/5 GHz) as well as the old 900MHz band. All are well above adsl2+ frequencies, but I have read reports of phones interfering with WiFi connections, though I assume Coreservers' problems are manifested when testing with wired connections and this possibility has been eliminated.