IDNet really as good as the reviews?

Started by pctech, Apr 15, 2010, 19:08:39

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Hi All

I'm considering joining IDNet as a change in my circumstances mean I need to save a bit of cash.

I am currently with Zen whom I can't fault apart from them being a little pricey.

Are most people here happy with IDNet?

adamr8965

hi pc welcome here, you will be more than happy with the service from idnet, they are faultless.

Rik

Hi and welcome to the forum. :welc: :karma:

We are a bit biased here, but many of us have been with IDNet for 3-4 years, and wouldn't dream of moving. It's an ethical company, which always tell us the truth about any major issues, eg a capacity problem last summer when BT failed to deliver promised bandwidth on time. Like all ISPs, they will have occasional problems, but even when a mail server failed, they had a service up and running again within a few hours and recovered all the data from the failed server over the next few days.

For the same money, my bandwidth allowance has gone from 2GB when I joined, to 60B now, and with the recent 21CN price cuts, IDNet took the decision to share the cost savings between those on WBC and those who couldn't get it because BT haven't upgraded their exchanges. It means that those of us on WBC are 'subsidising' those who are not to some extent, but we are happy to have the more equitable arrangement.

IDNet gave free bandwidth over the Xmas - New Year period last year, and for those with their phone lines with the company, they charged cheap rate for calls when BT were charging full price.

Support is excellent in my experience, and I talk to them most days on behalf of members. Out of hours, in an emergency, forum staff can and will contact the MDs, it's that personal a service.

HTH
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

zappaDPJ

Hi and welcome to the forums  :welc: :karma:

Like any ISP there may be the odd issue from time to time but the friendly staff at IDNet will always sort things out in a timely fashion. So to answer your question, yes I am extremely happy with IDNet and I think you'll find it's the same for 99.9% of their customers :)
zap
--------------------

pctech

Thanks for the reassurances all.

Just waiting for my MAC (BT converted the exchange to 21CN last night so I think they are waiting for that to clear)

Will sign up as soon as.I get that.

I'll make sure I pop in here from time to time although quite busy at the min as I'm studying for the Cisco CCNA.

Rik

So that would make you the Cisco Kid? ;D
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Yes

The routers are on me! (can someone move them please as I can't breathe)  ;D

Rik

Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Rik on Apr 15, 2010, 19:53:46
;D

You'll fit right in around here. ;)

He'll have to now,didn't you tell him no one leaves.........  local host is now in an endless loop back here there's no escape  :evil:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

adamr8965

i'll have 50 routers flog them at the car boot on sunday. :thumb:

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

adamr8965

either people in brid cant tell the difference  :dunno:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

One other query, can I pay the ADSL charge by Direct Debit or do I need to place my debit card on file?

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

D-Dan

Don't listen to all the fanboys here - listen to the voice of reason, instead (mine).

If you live anywhere near me, STAY AWAY, I don't want my bandwidth congested.

Seriously, Rolling monthly contract with IDNet 3 years now, and any problems have been cleared up after a quick call to support. I regularly test over at DSLZone and regularly finish in the top 3 (even when I test at peak time).

I'm pretty sure I pay by DD, but since that and my debit card are linked to the same account I can't be 100% sure.

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

pctech

Don't worry I'm in good not so old Milton Keynes

Steve

Steve
------------

Simon

Quote from: pctech on Apr 15, 2010, 21:16:24
Don't worry I'm in good not so old Milton Keynes

So is Rik!  ;D

:welc: :karma:  You won't regret the move.  :)
Simon.
--

Ray

Ray
--------------------

esh

75% of your ADSL experience is dependent upon BT but the last 25% IDNet provide seems to be pretty much faultless. I have the joys of frequently spending time in rented accommodation without control over the net connection so I regularly experience non-IDNet lines as means of a comparison. There was a 6 hour outage just last week and the DNS cops out fairly regularly (so I proxy via my IDNet one). A lot of sites take two goes to open. It can't access mail servers at peak times. There are a few european addresses it unfathomably can't route to at specific times of the day. The list goes on. This is precisely what being on IDNet avoids.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

pctech

esh

With the recent hikes in their off-peak download caps, it's good value if you like reliability. I rarely managed the 60GB a month on this package and now I have something like 240GB. I have no idea what to do with 240 down.

Hope the transfer goes well anyway.... Predictably my previous ISP still carried on charging me for 3 months after. Watch the bills!
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011