Be

Started by Danni, Apr 08, 2010, 15:57:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Danni

Hello all :)

I want faster broadband. Since I live in an area where BT refuse to even give a date for their ADSL2 product, I'm now considering LLU. According to Sam Knows, my options are AOL, O2/Be, Orange, Sky and TalkTalk. Of those lot, Be is the most appealing.

Does anyone know if Be are any good? What their support is like? Do they get congested? I know they used to have a good reputation, but are there any more recent horror stories?

I wish I could stay on IDNet, but as it is the lack of upload and download speed is starting to affect us. We want to start high quality streaming and it's just not possible with an upload speed lower than 1mbps.

IDNet Customer (ex-partner's name): 6th January 2006 - 23rd March 2007
IDNet broadband Customer (my name): 11th June 2008 - 21st April 2010

Now with Be for internets, IDNet for phone.

DorsetBoy

Check out where their support centres are  ;)

Rik

Hi Danni

Those people who have gone to Be, that I know of, have all been very pleased with the results. Be don't use profiling of the BT type either, so your line will run at the sync speed, not some arbitrary lower figure, plus you have direct control of the line parameters, effectively bypassing the BT-style of line management.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Danni

That's good news, Rik. It certainly seems to have good reviews from gamers (which both John and I are) and the higher upload speeds are incredibly appealing. I just wish BT sucked less :P

zappaDPJ

I came to IDNet after being with Be for 3 months. My download speeds were very good at approximately 14MB although they did dip noticeable at peak times. My latency(ping) was abysmal, often in the hundreds and their overseas support center was dire. My latency problems were directly attributable to a lack of capacity within the Be network.

I know quite a number of Be users, most are very happy but some are not and have high latency and congestion at peak times just like I did.
zap
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: Danni on Apr 08, 2010, 16:22:31I just wish BT sucked less :P

Dont we all. never gunna happen thou  :(

dujas

O2 are launching a home phone and broadband bundle, however it's been delayed until late May.

Danni

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Apr 08, 2010, 16:23:56
I came to IDNet after being with Be for 3 months. My download speeds were very good at approximately 14MB although they did dip noticeable at peak times. My latency(ping) was abysmal, often in the hundreds and their overseas support center was dire. My latency problems were directly attributable to a lack of capacity within the Be network.

I know quite a number of Be users, most are very happy but some are not and have high latency and congestion at peak times just like I did.

Thanks Zappa. I want to try the 3 month contract first to see what it's like, so if we have problems we can come back. I was considering getting a second landline for Be, but I can't justify the extra cost really.

Thanks dujas. I don't want to move my phone from IDNet- quite happy there. Also, that package is nowhere near what we need (we want the Pro package for the higher upload speeds). I've not looked at O2's packages but I'm weary of them- had bad experiences with their mobile stuff.

Glenn

Do you have an O2 mobile Danni? Also go via Quidco and you will get cashback if you move
Glenn
--------------------

dujas

O2 Pro Broadband uses Annex M for up to 2.5Mbps upload, telephone support is UK based, 30 day money back guarantee but one year contact. Can knock another £5 off the monthly fee if already have an O2 mobile phone (PAYG or contract). Not sure if you can set a 3db SNR margin as with Be.

Danni

I don't have an O2 mobile (nor will I get one), and a 1 year contract is too long at the moment.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Danni on Apr 08, 2010, 16:33:05
Thanks Zappa. I want to try the 3 month contract first to see what it's like, so if we have problems we can come back. I was considering getting a second landline for Be, but I can't justify the extra cost really.

If the 3 month contract still has no disconnect penalties (that's what I was on) then at least you don't have too much to lose if there are problems  :)
zap
--------------------

Technical Ben

Also check out the forums for them. Remember to take the good or bad reviews all with a pinch of salt.(oh no, it's turned to food already!)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

And it wasn't me. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Wags

I migrated from IDNET to Be unlimited about 6 months ago due to all the latency problems at the time. The speed doubled to 10meg and my ping is pretty much constantly around 13-15ms. It is great for gaming. O2 uses the same network but is interleaved only, so pings are higher. For gamers, BE is preferable as on the £17.88 a month+ accounts you can switch to fastpath / gaming mode. :thumb:

My own experience with support has been very positive. The 24hr ticketing system from the member console is very effective and whilst based in Bulgaria, I have always received a reply very quickly and have sorted any issues. E.g. I was switched to gaming mode within an hour of making the request via a ticket.

Danni

Thanks Wags. Our activation date is on Wednesday, and have the Be box and everything now.

I will of course tell you all how it goes :)