Slow speeds - problem with my line?

Started by Mr_Fishbulb, May 16, 2006, 19:19:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Fishbulb

Hi All,

I posted this on the adslguide forum but was hoping someone over here might be able to help.

Basically for the last 24 hours (well, more now) I've only been able to download at around 16kB/sec (between 15 and 17). This is for http, ftp, etc. I haven't made any changes to the settings on my machine.

I've rebooted my machine a few times (got a PCI modem) but to no avail. Says it's synced and connected at 4Mb on MAX but I'm still only getting around 16kB.

I've taken a screengrab of my usage over about ~10 mins:

It looks like something is capping it becuase there is a ceiling of around 17k.

Tried the BT Speedtester and got 129 kilo bits per second :(

Exchange showing as green.

Anyone got any ideas?

Edit - Just tried a system restore to a time I know it was working fine - didn't fix it either.

B52

Mine were similar about 10 days ago.  CS (Miriam) asked me to do 3 or 4 BTw speedtests over a 4 hour period. The results are logged and she can request BT to investigate the fault if they are consistently low.

http://speedtester.bt.com/cgi-bin/home.page.pl

BT investigated but said there was no fault, but as she was telling me this a BT engineer was at my house explaining there was a local line fault. He connected up a new line and also remade the connections at the box on the outside of the house.

Not had a problen since but it is synching about 4200 instead of 5200 when first Maxed.   SNR has gone up 10 though and get faily constant d/l speed around 3 to 3.3Mb.

You will need the BTw speedtest results or BT wont be interested.  So save yourself some time, get them done (time and result) and post them in an email to CS.
Ask them to investigate.

Mr_Fishbulb

Cheers.

Did they give you that "If we send an engineer out and it's not our fault, it's gonna cost ya" stuff?

Simon_idnet

Hi Carl

That's not a charge that IDnet make, it is from BT - if you demand a BT engineer visit and it turns out not to be a BT issue then BT will levy a charge that we would then have to pass on.

Regards
Simon

Mr_Fishbulb

Quote from: simon on May 16, 2006, 23:53:30
Hi Carl

That's not a charge that IDnet make, it is from BT - if you demand a BT engineer visit and it turns out not to be a BT issue then BT will levey a charge that we would then have to pass on.

Regards
Simon

Sorry - I mean't BT. Had them saying it before when I had a crackling line.

My upload seems to be fine - just tried uploading to my webserver and was getting 48kB/sec  ???

I'll give you guys a call tomorrow. Cheers for the reply Simon.

Edit - just tried another BT Speed Test and it's still 127 kbit. I'm thinking the problem is to do with my line/equipment rather than IDNet.

Scott

Quote from: Mr_Fishbulb on May 17, 2006, 00:01:56
Edit - just tried another BT Speed Test and it's still 127 kbit. I'm thinking the problem is to do with my line/equipment rather than IDNet.
That's a good position to start from Mr_FB  ;)
Have you got access to any replacement kit to try and narrow down the issue (or at least confirm it's not your modem/router ? Always helps...)
Member of the IDNet Mafia
How to Spot and Deal with Trolls

Mr_Fishbulb

Tried it this morning and it all seems to have sorted itself out on its own  :) - very strange.

Didn't restart the modem, just checked this morning and speeds are back up again.

I'm guessing there could have been a problem at my exchange as it's not the modem and I'm sure it's wasn't IDNet as no one else had any problems.

Xbandito

Your modem has had a chance to cool down....   ;) ;D

You could have had what I had.....Miriam said something about some internet site still conected to me......(she used a more technical discription)  :-[