Connection Issues

Started by Entity, Apr 30, 2010, 16:03:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Entity

Hello, For the last month or 2 I've been having Disconnection issues with my internet. Up until yesterday it was bearable, Now I get disconnected literally every 5 minutes.

Here are some of the things what happens:
-Random Disconnects
-Disconnects if the phone rings
-Disconnects if I try to stream video etc.
-Happens at all hours of the day, Peak & Off-Peak

Some of the things I've tried:
-Changing Micro Filters
-Plugging it into different Phone Sockets (Including Master Socket without the Faceplate fitted)
-Using the router without any phones plugged in
-Restarting the router. Powering Off/On
-Connecting Wired & Wireless

Other things to note:
-The phone has bad line quality, Distorted/Fuzzy
-Things worked flawlessly for the first few weeks of IDNet subscription & Flawlessly on previous ISP's
-My router is a Netgear DG834Gv5 which was brand new at the time I subscribed to IDNet

I've tried al sorts to fix this myself I probably forgot to mention some of them, Any ideas what the problem is?
Also who do I contact about it? BT, IDNet or Sky? (My phone is through Sky)

Thanks.

Also current stats:
ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed   8128 kbps   448 kbps
Line Attenuation   22.0 db   13.0 db
Noise Margin   8.5 db   23 db

Rik

Hi

First things first, if the voice line is fuzzy, report that to your voice provider, making no mention of ADSL.

You have maximum sync speed with some headroom to spare on your noise margin, so line noise would seem to be the most likely cause of the issue. You seem to have an NTE5 master socket, the type where part of the faceplate is removable? If so, take the faceplate off and connect the router directly to the test socket, using a high quality filter, eg the ADSL Nations xf-1e, connect nothing else to it. If the line become stable, then it's either your internal wiring or a device connected to it. Just possibly, I suppose, it might be your router dying, so if you have or can borrow a spare, that would be worth a try.

How many extension sockets do you have, is the ring wire disconnected from them all, what other devices are connected to the line and are they all filtered?

A loss of sync is always an issue between your equipment at that at the exchange, including the wiring between, so you need to eliminate as much as possible before getting IDNet involved. If they have to send a BT engineer out to you, you risk a £170 fee.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Entity

Thanks for the Reply Rik, I have tried removing the faceplate & using the exact model Filter you mentioned.
I'm not entirely sure how the extension phone sockets(there are 2 of them) are connected. However ONLY the master socket is in use. Things connected are just one telephone and the router.

When I tried removing the faceplate to test there was no difference in connection quality.

I thought the router may be the issue too, however that wouldn't explain why the phone line is fuzzy without the router been connected at all. I tried the phone with nothing else connected with & without a micro filter (I tried multiple filters too) and even still the call quality was awful.

I have a hunch that it isn't my equipment which is the cause of the problem.

Also thanks for the heads up on the £170 fee. :)

Rik

The fact there's nothing connected to the sockets doesn't stop them being a source of the noise if they have the ring wire connected. Open one up and see what wire are connected. You only need wires to terminals 2 & 5, usually the blue/white, white/blue pair. Anything on terminal 3 should be removed at all sockets.

That said, start by trying to get the voice fault sorted - and before you do that, try a different phone if you can.
Rik
--------------------

Entity

Quote from: Rik on Apr 30, 2010, 16:23:50
The fact there's nothing connected to the sockets doesn't stop them being a source of the noise if they have the ring wire connected. Open one up and see what wire are connected. You only need wires to terminals 2 & 5, usually the blue/white, white/blue pair. Anything on terminal 3 should be removed at all sockets.

That said, start by trying to get the voice fault sorted - and before you do that, try a different phone if you can.

Thanks again for the reply, I'l have a look see what's connected & give BT a ring.
Even if the extension sockets aren't in use you mentioned they can still be the source of noise, Which I understand. But if they were previously fine & not been used other than for testing purposes, Could they randomly start giving off the noise on the line? Just curious. :)

Thanks again for the info. :)

Rik

I've just had IDNet test your line, they can see the disconnects but no fault is immediately showing, so eliminate the voice line, then talk to them if the problem persists.

Things can go 'out of spec' on domestic wiring for no apparent reason, I had it happen to me, in my case the line stopped completely for no apparent reason. The internal joints had to be remade. Luckily, BT only used to charge £60 back then.

Don't phone BT, though, is Sky provides the voice line, they have to fix it. :)
Rik
--------------------

Entity

Just an update. I phoned sky & they are convinced its something on the line, Had to ring my mobile because the quality was so bad. An engineer should be out, fingers crossed its a problem outside of my premises.  :fingers:

Rik

Good news, thanks for letting us know.  :fingers:
Rik
--------------------