Sky offers good value broadband.

Started by adamr8965, Apr 23, 2010, 18:14:45

Previous topic - Next topic

adamr8965

Sky are changing theres packages across the board, good for people on a budget or not bothered by throttling

Sky bundles broadband in offer and increases broadband speeds

Sky are offering 6 months free up-to 20Meg 'unlimited' broadband in a new promotion open to new and existing Sky customers who take the deal before 31st May. Sky Unlimited usually costs £15 on top of a Sky TV package, or £10 more when taken with the Sky Talk package. Customers have to move their BT line rental to Sky to take advantage of the offer (£11 a month) and either the Sky Talk Freedom (free) or Sky Talk Unlimited calls package (£5 a month). This offer is only available to new Sky customers or existing Sky customers who do not currently have Sky broadband.

Techradar are also reporting that Sky's broadband products are set to change from the 1st of June. All broadband products will be changed to offer up-to 20Meg broadband speeds (dependent on distance from the telephone exchange), even on the ubundled 'Sky Base' which offers free broadband to Sky TV customers, albeit with a low 2GB monthly usage limit. The Sky Unlimited service will also reduce in cost to just £7.50 a month from June 1st to those who take Sky TV and Sky Talk, a reduction of £2.50 a month. It's not clear if people who sign up to offers such as those above will also benefit from this reduced price.

"Sky is transforming the broadband marketplace again, by providing Britain's best value up to 20Mb truly unlimited broadband service and the UK's only free, up to 20Mb service.

With these new products, our customers have a very simple choice to make based on how much they use the internet, with peace of mind that they are getting a high quality, reliable service.

Unlike some other ISPs, Sky promises not to slow down the speed customers enjoy on its network at peak."
    Delia Bushell, (Director of Broadband & Talk) Sky

Rik

How on earth did that get past the swear filter? ;D
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

adamr8965

Rik

Rik
--------------------

DorsetBoy

It's fine if you want to be stuck forever on their contract.

quandam

Quote from: adamr8965 on Apr 23, 2010, 18:14:45

Unlike some other ISPs, Sky promises not to slow down the speed customers enjoy on its network at peak."
Delia Bushell, (Director of Broadband & Talk) Sky

Do you know if this 'promise' includes their 8Mb Connect package?

DorsetBoy

Quote from: quandam on Apr 23, 2010, 18:28:06
Do you know if this 'promise' includes their 8Mb Connect package?

Doubt it as that is a BT product, there 24MB package is LLU.

quandam

adamr8965

i know a couple of people on there llu packages and they say its great so suppose a few unlike people, i was one of them.

quandam

Quote from: DorsetBoy on Apr 23, 2010, 18:24:11
It's fine if you want to be stuck forever on their contract.

Looking at the deal and if (a big if in my case) I were able to access their LLU package their contract would not be a great problem for me. I would say, if you are able to get the SKY LLU service at your exchange then the deal they offer has to be given some very, very serious consideration. ;)

adamr8965

It is cracking value for people on a budget or low income.

Rik

It is, and as long as it works, it's fine.
Rik
--------------------

adamr8965

I think there llu is better than the connect package. Must be look at the amount of people on their books.

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Rik on Apr 23, 2010, 18:54:48
It is, and as long as it works, it's fine.

It is said to be a good service with 24/7 phone support, the speeds on LLU are apparently excellent at all times. (Easynet are the ISP )

Rik

I just don't fancy leaving IDNet. :)
Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

quandam

Quote from: DorsetBoy on Apr 23, 2010, 18:57:44
It is said to be a good service with 24/7 phone support, the speeds on LLU are apparently excellent at all times. (Easynet are the ISP )

If it came to my exchange (probably 2 years+ off) I would more than likely make the move, but, the facts are that it isn't, so that is why I am currently with IDNet :thumb:

kinmel

My son moved onto Sky LLU  2 years ago, he lives within sight of the exchange and gets 22Meg, he has never detected any throttling.

He has had no need to contact their support desk and doesn't use their mail either, so no comment on those aspects.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Den

A customer (and friend) lives a few hundred metres closer to the exchange than I do and he is with Sky at the moment. He has had problems with the internal phone system for his business so we rewired it all this week. On asking him about his broadband he said it was very slow. I checked it and found that while I get 6.3mb he is getting 0.1mb  :eek4:  We are leaving it for a few days and then will check again and unless we can get it faster then he will have his line checked and then move to Idnet.
Mr Music Man.

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Den on Apr 23, 2010, 20:37:39
A customer (and friend) lives a few hundred metres closer to the exchange than I do and he is with Sky at the moment. He has had problems with the internal phone system for his business so we rewired it all this week. On asking him about his broadband he said it was very slow. I checked it and found that while I get 6.3mb he is getting 0.1mb  :eek4:  We are leaving it for a few days and then will check again and unless we can get it faster then he will have his line checked and then move to Idnet.

Have you checked to see what package he is on? The free Sky adsl is a 2mb service. Assuming his line is shorter it will more likely be a line/wiring issue,unless of course the router is being switched on and off too frequently. People I know in town are only 60 metres from the exchange and couldn't get the 8mb at all, the synch was all over the place,their PC and router were being switched on and off dozens of times a day as kids/parents came and went, get them to leave the router on 24/7 and problem solved.

Baz

Quote from: adamr8965 on Apr 23, 2010, 18:14:45
    "Sky is transforming the broadband marketplace again, by providing Britain's best value up to 20Mb truly unlimited broadband service and the UK's only free, up to 20Mb service.

really??   what does that mean then  :)   :dunno:

DorsetBoy

Quote from: Baz on Apr 24, 2010, 08:07:00

really??   what does that mean then  :)   :dunno:

Supposedly unlimited/uncapped broadband. ( Note that the Connect 8mb is subject to limilts and traffic shaping AND usage moitoring during peak times) There must be no form of business/commercial use of any kind though,so don't read work emails  ;D.

The T's+C's are here http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/broadband/  reading down it amuses me that they give all that detail and yet their AUP is not given, if you want to know their AUP terms you have to email them ............ what are they hiding  :dunno:

adamr8965

Rik

So they're trying to hide the Murdochs. ;D
Rik
--------------------

adamr8965

;D There are rik, i might give it a try if i had sky at the exchange.
My gran has base on 2mb and says it's fine for saga holidays and ordering from scottish gourmet.