Some advice please for potential new customer

Started by w7it, Apr 24, 2010, 08:55:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Simon.
--

w7it

Thanks guys for your comments and welcomes much appreciated

I have one other question , how are the weekends viewed with regard to off peak on peak ??
Whats life without a Gadget !!

Rik

Same as weekdays, so off-peak remains midnight - 9am. :)
Rik
--------------------

w7it

Rik

IDNet have a large business customer base, so the off-peak hours reflect that.
Rik
--------------------

w7it

hmm , i am just checking my stats on my current ISP but unfortunately the details only go back 2 months , they changed supplier recently and the old stats are gone

but not having weekends as off peak could well be a sticking point for us

more thinking to do

adamr8965

Try adsl24 then, they have off peak all weekend, and are similar to idnet, no port blocking or throttling

w7it

Quote from: adamr8965 on Apr 24, 2010, 17:15:59
Try adsl24 then, they have off peak all weekend, and are similar to idnet, no port blocking or throttling

That would mean staying with what was my favorite ISP until the Murphx change, ADSL24 have for me been excellent but alas we use who we use simply to get on the net ... presently we are struggling here big time

pdu

You could go all out and get the business premium package which is uncapped, I'll let you know how it is as soon as i'm migrated to it from pipex, it's not cheap, but, it's a pretty reasonable price considering it also includes BT's 20 hour fix deal.

quandam

I am probably way out of my depth here but with Sky announcing some attractive new offers and the PROMISE :dunno: of zero throttling and unlimited downloading is that something you should be looking at? Many appear to be very happy with the Sky LLU package and the new deals really do attract if you are able to avail yourself of them :dunno:

Apologies if I am way off beam here but it does seem to me that Sky, on the LLU package are virtually unbeatable :dunno:

w7it

the business package is more than we want to pay pdu
and i am very very very sceptical about Sky and there promises quandam
oh i dont no , i need to do some thinking and maybe wait a month or 2 more so that i can collect more info from my present connection and our useage

quandam

Agreed, Sky's promises must be linked to actual use. However, if they do turn out to be bona fide then they are a very serious contender in the field.

Time for reflection I would think :dunno:

Gary

Quote from: quandam on Apr 24, 2010, 18:18:33
Agreed, Sky's promises must be linked to actual use. However, if they do turn out to be bona fide then they are a very serious contender in the field.

Time for reflection I would think :dunno:
Sky.....bona fide.....good value......long contract......hmmmm! There are better alternatives, Be is one of them.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

w7it

LLU seems to be a way forward but if you ever need to move back to a BT line it will cost around £120 for the hasstle and much internet downtime during the process

TBH i blame BT for there continued price hold on copper and for not releasing dark fiber, they could do so much more for suppliers and ISP`s alike , unfortunately us plebs have to shuflle around doing our best to find a reliable ISP that provides a service that fits our needs which is wrong, in Germany this would not be tolerated, i think i am right in saying they have no restrictions on useage

however that does not help my current situation

actually here is a question to you guys using IDnet, do you have the ability in your account control panels to watch your bandwidth useage ?? 

Rik

You do, and you can also sign up to a daily RSS feed. In addition, IDNetwill email you in advance if you look like going over in any month. If that does happen, there's no slowdown or restriction, just the £1/GB charge.
Rik
--------------------

quandam

Quote from: Gary on Apr 24, 2010, 18:26:41
Sky.....bona fide.....good value......long contract......hmmmm! There are better alternatives, Be is one of them.

Time for reflection is the correct advice here. Long contracts are most definitely not a problem if the deal is the correct one. There may well be other alternatives but they don't have to be better.

Reflection is the way to go here ;) Don't dismiss something because they do not appeal to you i.e Google etc. There are a lot of great internet opportunities available if you dispense with the 'health and safety' frame of mind that hold many many people back from enjoying the internet to the full.

As we all know 'Elf & Safety' can spoil our everyday lives considerably and basically common sense should be applied, this also applies to our use of the internet. If Sky do the business then let's go for it. :thumb:

w7it

i just had a look at PC Pals  :) " i Liiiike "  :thumb:

Rik

Rik
--------------------

w7it

we sure do Rik and because of Pc pals i now want deperately FTTH  :evil: ( Fiber to the home )

Rik

Well, FTTH isn't likely, but FTTC may be on the cards for you.
Rik
--------------------

MisterW

QuoteIf Sky do the business then let's go for it
In my, albeit second hand, experience then Sky's ok when it works, but when something goes wrong and you need customer support , forget it!!   

w7it

well we almost joined up , but found an issue with the payment setup, selected direct debit did not add any info but the wife changed her mind wanted to set it up as credit card payment, so i went back selected credi card hit the order button and the system says duplicate order and it wont proceed ?? so i guess we will have to wait until the tomorow when they open to resolve the issue ...hey ho we nearly joined lol

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

It is safer to pay via DD rather than a credit card, with DD you are in control of the payment, using the card, the company taking the payment is in control.
Glenn
--------------------