Ubuntu 10.04

Started by D-Dan, Apr 25, 2010, 21:37:08

Previous topic - Next topic

esh

Likely your xscreensaver settings? You may want to configure that (I don't use Ubuntu but mine does the same because I configured it that way).
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

kinmel

Quote from: vitriol on Aug 10, 2010, 19:38:57
Hope someone can help me with something.

If I leave my computer alone for approx 5 minutes, the screen will fade to black.  A keypress brings up the log in screen again.  How can I disable this?

Oh Lucid Lynx 10.04

Autologin
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

vitriol

Yup it was the screensaver settings.........god I feel like a dork !!!

Thanks gus.

Technical Ben

Wow, Ununtu has a GUI? Might try it out. :D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

gyruss

Sorry i know this threads a few months necro'd, but i've recently installed Ubuntu 10.04, and after a little bit of wrenching around on it, got the Mp3 and DVD side of it working nicely.  In every other way it worked from the get-go.

Did discover a problem on it last night though that i couldn't rectify so will try again tonight... i'm getting BT Wholesale isp type default pages (the type you see when bt mess with IDNET's configs), and despite trying the default DNS and OPENDNS settings in the network settings, couldn't get firefox on it to bring up an URL's.

Any of you Ubuntu users seen this behaviour? and moreover? got any hints/fixes that may help?  I'll have another crack at it later, but for now its breathed alot of magic and SPEED (oh how i loves the speed of it!) into my single core laptop.  The gui is VERY nice and if anyone out there thinks they'll be lost on it, think again, even my other 'arf was using it too.
Jase

atsw

Can't say I've much of an idea about the web-page problem, although I would suspect a problem with the default wifi drivers.  If you know what card you have in the laptop, grab a set of Windows drivers (Xp will be fine) and install the Windows Driver NDIS wrapper (available from Ubuntu Software Centre).  In my experience wifi connections are a lot more reliable with this configuration.

I've a couple of additional suggestions on the other points you raised.  Firstly, it's well worth downloading an installing the VLC media player (available from the Ubuntu Software Centre).  This is a very powerful media player and you don't need to mess about with any plugins.  It will even play DVD *.ISO files directly (you don't even need to mount the ISO).  I'd also suggest installing Google Chrome, if you think Firefox is quick, just wait till you try the Chrome browser!

Oh, and finally, Ubuntu v10.10 came out earlier this month.  It's a good step forward from v10.04.  You can do an upgrade, although I'd recommend a clean install if you can (I hope it goes without saying, but I will anyway, backup all important files first before upgrading!!!).

Cheers

Andrew