Ubuntu 10.04

Started by D-Dan, Apr 25, 2010, 21:37:08

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dan

After some problems with an earlier RC, I installed the latest on PC2 today and, after a lot of messing around trying to fix the screen resolution (hint - you need to create an xorg.conf file if you hit problems) I have to say it's looking quite nice.

Previous versions of Ubuntu have always caused problems getting streaming video to play properly, but this time it worked out of the box. The OS ATI drivers seems to be pretty well matured, now, too. I'm off to test emerald to set it up how I like it :)

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

kinmel

I thought it was to be released on 29th and it is still only an R.C. at the moment
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

D-Dan

It is still RC - but repositories are frozen - so only final bug fixes left.

Steve
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

mrapoc

I'm looking forward to the actual release - thursday isnt it?

Going to be installing it for my uncle, using him as a a guinea pig.

Side note - can someone recommend an easy to use app to make and burn a photo slideshow you can add music too etc.?

vitriol

Looking forward to trying out Lucid Lynx.

Sorry Sam, still finding my way around the Linux apps myself.

kinmel

Waiting to see how the netbook remix performs
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

MisterW

I've been running both the Netbook Remix ( now called Universal Netbook Edition - UNE ) and the Desktop edition, both in Virtual Machines, prior to upgrading my 8.04 desktop and my 9.04 UNR Netbook. Both are looking good so far. The netbook was a clean install of 10.04 Beta keeping an existing /home partition ( since upgrade from 9.04 directly is not possible ) whereas the Desktop was an upgrade. Initially tried the desktop upgrade from 8.04 using the alternate install iso , disaster!!, booted only to console prompt. Tried again over the weekend upgrading from the network and flawless!! :)

Steve

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

D-Dan

If you like your eye candy - EMerald is broken in 10.04 - but otherwise - no problems :)

Steve
Have I lost my way?

psp83

I've just downloaded and installed 10.04 64bit.

Installed as a VM using VMware player (already have ubuntu mint and ubuntu 9.04) but it doesn't pick up my keyboard but my mouse works.

Keybaord is a desktop set from microsoft : wireless laser keyboard/mouse 7000 (worked straight away with the other ubuntu installs)

mrapoc

Trying it on my laptop

its great - leaps and bounds over the rest in the way it works and runs nicely :)

apps are easy to get and the built in social networking is awesome

Rik

I'm not a Linux user, hell, I barely get out of Firefox these days, but those of you who are might find the Linux board on PC Pals useful:

http://www.pc-pals.com/smf/linux-mac-open-source-software/

Sam lives, eats, breathes and sleeps the thing. :)
Rik
--------------------

psp83

I would give 10.04 ago but I can only get as far as the login screen, then the keyboard doesnt work :(

Steve

Touchscreen >:D

Edit; Its a bug see http://www.geek.com/articles/news/ubuntu-10-04-lts-lucid-lynx-now-available-to-download-20100430/

and temporary work round http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/keyboard-issues-with-ubuntu-lucid-10-04-and-vmware-workstation-7-0/

I found the :0-greeter.log file in /var/log/gdm had errors complaining about not find symbols for "U.S. English" keyboard layout in us keyboard file. A little grepping later finds "U.S. English" is set in /etc/default/console-setup.
<from original file>
XKBMODEL="SKIP"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT="U.S. English"
XKBOPTIONS=""

<changed to this, matching other linux installs>
XKBMODEL="pc105″
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

Reboot and keyboard now works at login.

Steve
------------

psp83

QuoteTo login to the console, left click on the red "Shutdown" icon, then select "Console Login" from the drop down menu:

You don't get that option when clicking on the shutdown icon on Ubuntu 10.04  :(

Any other way to get into the console from the login screen?

Steve

I think your a bit stuck without a wired keyboard unless you know of away of editing /etc/default/console-setup. Can you mount this 10.04 virtual disk as a secondary drive on another Linux virtual machine and then use nano to edit the file as suggested.

Edit : Just to confirm using virtual box, I created a new machine, with the 10.04 virtual disk added as a secondary drive, then loaded the 10.04 iso as a live CD and I was able to see the secondary drive and gedit opened up /etc/default/console-setup.
Steve
------------

vitriol

Installation of Lucid was not as straightforward for me as Karmic.  It went like this

Download iso and wubi from ubuntu.com.  Stick them both in a folder and run wubi.  Select parameters for installation and wahey ......of it goes.  Tells me to reboot.  Reboot computer and select ubuntu at the operating system select screen and then..............nothing.  Nada.  Nowt.  Completely blank screen.  Seemingly the computer is not doing anything.

Went to bed.

Got up today and boot into Vista.  Do a bit of googling and searching of the Ubuntu forums.  Found a few things to try.  Burn ISO to a disk.  Reboot and boot from CD.  Press F6 and select the nomodeset switch.  Select try Ubuntu without making changes to system.  Everything working ok.

Boot back into Windows and run wubi again.  Reboot and select Ubuntu.  Press Escape for additional options.  Edit the boot loader and replace "quiet splash" with "nomodeset"

Wooo installation working now.  Reboot and blank screen.  Reboot again and do the above, working ok again.  Then I looked for a way to manually and permanently edit the grub loader. 

open the grub.cfg file with

sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Make the changes mentioned above.  Reboot and everything working, just have lots of text on screen during boot !

It's this kind of thing that puts people off trying it imo.  Surely the installer should use a set of boot commands that are completely fail safe.  If the same happens with 10.10 then I wont be using ubuntu again. 

vitriol

Quote from: Rik on May 01, 2010, 10:21:44
I'm not a Linux user, hell, I barely get out of Firefox these days, but those of you who are might find the Linux board on PC Pals useful:

http://www.pc-pals.com/smf/linux-mac-open-source-software/

Sam lives, eats, breathes and sleeps the thing. :)

Why don't you try the Live CD Rik?  All you have to do is download it, burn the iso to a CD.  Reboot your computer and boot from the CD.  Select "Try ubuntu without making changes to your computer"  It runs the whole o/s from the CD.  Pretty cool.

Steve

Steve
------------

vitriol

That seems like a slightly different problem to mine.  I was always able to reboot into Vista.

I downloaded the iso again today, having read about that but I still had the problems untill I used the nomodeset switch.

D-Dan

Quote from: vitriol on May 01, 2010, 18:06:44
Then I looked for a way to manually and permanently edit the grub loader.  

open the grub.cfg file with

sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Make the changes mentioned above.  Reboot and everything working, just have lots of text on screen during boot !

For future reference, with grub 2 you shouldn't edit grub.cfg directly. Instead,
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
sudo update-grub

Steve
Have I lost my way?

psp83

Go it working.

Did what you said, Attached as a virtual disk in Mint and then sudo nano /media/disk/etc/default/console-setup and changed the settings, Now I can type :)

D-Dan

If anyone is dual booting Ubuntu 10.04 with Windows (not a VM) there's a bug been introduced into grub that prevents DEFAULT=saved working.

There's a workaround posted (that failed to work for me), but what did work was uninstalling grub2 and installing grub.

Here's how:

sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.old
sudo cp -R /etc/grub.d /etc/grub.d.old
sudo cp -R /boot/grub /boot/grub.old

(the above backs up grub2 - now to remove it. Note - don't reboot until you finish - otherwise you'll be left with a non-booting system)

sudo apt-get purge grub2 grub-pc

And finally - install the old grub:

sudo apt-get install grub
sudo update-grub
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

nb. sda is where you want grub installed - usually your linux drive - but modify as necessary.

In my case, this lost my windows 7 bootloader, so:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

And add the following to your menu:

title     windows 7
   savedefault
         rootnoverify (hd1,0)
         chainloader +1

where (hd1,0) = your windows drive and partition. You may also want to add "savedefault" to your Ubuntu entry.

Now working a treat here.

Steve

Edit - I forgot - in menu.lst - change the entry at the top to default=saved

S
Have I lost my way?

Ted

Thought I'd try this yesterday on a dual boot machine that I have XP on. Eventually got it installed, it kept doing strange things, I thought it was the CD but it worked in the end. It was all looking good until it arbitrarily decided to shut the monitor down in the middle of doing something, at least that's what it looked like. The monitor hadn't actually powered down but no amount of key strokes or mouse usage would bring it back up. That's a new one on me, I assume its some sort of graphics problem, happened four or five times now all you can do is a hard reset to bring it back.
What with all the other problems people are having, on here and elsewhere, can't say I'm overly impressed.  :eyebrow:
Ted
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

D-Dan

Can't say I had that problem, though I usually disable screensaver and auto power down (after it actually does it a few times so that I get fed up of it). In the first few times before I disabled it always woke up again, though.

Edit:

I have to say I do agree that despite the improvements, 10.04 does seem uncharacteristically buggy.

Steve
Have I lost my way?