Broadband connection with no outside line

Started by Lona, May 01, 2010, 15:49:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Lona

My son has moved into a rented flat with no telephone line.

I know he could get a dongle but that can be pricey and some ask for a year's contract.

Does anybody know a cheap way to have short term BB without an outside line.?

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Rik

There isn't one, Lona, except a PAYG dongle, which tends to be £10-15 per GB.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/mobilebroadband/pay-as-you-go has some prices, he would need to find out what the 3G service is like in his area, before buying anything.
Glenn
--------------------

quandam

Quote from: Rik on May 01, 2010, 15:52:58
There isn't one, Lona, except a PAYG dongle, which tends to be £10-15 per GB.

Quite right Rik. With Vodafone the GB you purchase does not run out unless you don't use it for 9 months whereas the others 02/CWH/ 3 etc run out after 30 days. Although the Vodafone cost is high per GB it does last until you have used it up.

Steve

BTW there is newish software for the Three Dongle and new firmware for the ZTE M627 .It now works on the Mac 10.6 and is much quicker to initialise and connect than it was before.

http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/About_my_mobile/Downloads?content_mode=Downloads_show&content_aid=1220453996371
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Lona

Thanks guys.  I think Vodaphone might be is best one. :)

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

quandam

Lona

I think that is the way to go for your son under the circumstances. Not cheap but Vodafone give the most flexible deal. Do some checks as to how much your son will pay for the dongle itself, money can be saved if you do some delving.

Lona

Can't find the part on vodaphone that allows you to carry over unused gb from previous month??

Steve

Neither can I Lona,all I can find is a minimum one month contract with no carry over
Steve
------------

Technical Ben

Laptop + £2 coffee at McDonalds = free internet. Or the local Library.
I use to use the options of going back to my parents!  :whistle:
But a dongle is also a good option if he watches his download limit.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Lona

The whole point of my son and his partner moving to their own flat was to have them out from under our feet. ;D

Rik

;D

The carry over is only on the PAYG dongle, Lona.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: Lona on May 03, 2010, 10:09:07
The whole point of my son and his partner moving to their own flat was to have them out from under our feet. ;D

You had them as human foot stools?!
But on a serious note, it's nice they have their own place. I'm sure they will find an option that suits.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

quandam

quandam

Rik & Lona

Just had a look at the Vodafone site and it appears that things have changed drastically in the last 9 months to a year when I first purchased my PAYG dongle. My deal that is still up and running was £15.00 for ONE GB that lasted forever provided you logged in once in 9 months. The current deal looks as though, in line with other companies, Vodafone now give you 3 GB for £15.00 but that only lasts 30 days! :(

My original 1 Gb was still in use last Thursday after almost a year, so for me it has been a pretty good deal. If I were you Lona I would just check if my deal is still available, it may be ?:fingers:

Apologies if I led you astray it was unintentional I can assure you. :blush:

Gary

Quote from: quandam on May 03, 2010, 13:28:26
Rik & Lona

Just had a look at the Vodafone site and it appears that things have changed drastically in the last 9 months to a year when I first purchased my PAYG dongle. My deal that is still up and running was £15.00 for ONE GB that lasted forever provided you logged in once in 9 months. The current deal looks as though, in line with other companies, Vodafone now give you 3 GB for £15.00 but that only lasts 30 days! :(

My original 1 Gb was still in use last Thursday after almost a year, so for me it has been a pretty good deal. If I were you Lona I would just check if my deal is still available, it may be ?:fingers:

Apologies if I led you astray it was unintentional I can assure you. :blush:
1 GB is not a huge amount in this day and age though if you use the net regularly, just think of updates alone Q.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Glenn

I get 3Gb each month with my phone contract
Glenn
--------------------

quandam

Quote from: Gary on May 03, 2010, 16:11:56
1 GB is not a huge amount in this day and age though if you use the net regularly, just think of updates alone Q.

Gary

I know, for me it works very well because I use it on my laptop that I 'update' via the home router before spending the odd weekend away or at the airport/hotel before leaving UK or overnight stops upon my return simply to do the basics, email and basic surfing. I agree if you want this set up for 'everyday' type usage then probably not a viable proposition. Depends on your requirements I suppose? :dunno:

Gary

Quote from: quandam on May 03, 2010, 17:15:43
Gary

I know, for me it works very well because I use it on my laptop that I 'update' via the home router before spending the odd weekend away or at the airport/hotel before leaving UK or overnight stops upon my return simply to do the basics, email and basic surfing. I agree if you want this set up for 'everyday' type usage then probably not a viable proposition. Depends on your requirements I suppose? :dunno:
Very true, Q oh that rhymes  ;D I was just wondering what kind of usage they were going to be wanting, as Lona mentioned its her son, I don't know his age, but if younger he may be wanting to be on line more than the 1GB, then it gets pricey, as you said depends on usage, for me as a main machine 1GB would be no where near enough, I think mobile data prices really need to come down.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't