Internet is completely dead.

Started by netgem21, May 12, 2010, 20:17:18

Previous topic - Next topic

netgem21

Apologies for this rough post - I'm typing it out on a phone! Internet (home max) is completely down. Here are the current router stats.

Downstream sync 8128
upstream sync 448

downstream line attenuation 20db
upstream line attenuation 6.5db

downstream noise margin 2147483644db (this is not a typo!!)
upstream noise margin 25db

please help if you can!

Lance

Stupid question, but have you rebooted the router?

The noise margin figure is the router's way of showing a negative number, meaning there is a lot of noise on the line. A reboot will get the router to sync at a lower but more sustainable speed (or the noise will clear and it'll be fine again).

If you have already rebooted, it sounds likely to be a PPP failure. Assuming you haven't played about with the username and passwords, it could be a stale session. In this instance, unplug the router for at least 30 mins.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

DarkStar

Connected to the Stowmarket exchange here and no problems at all. Pings, speed as normal.
Ian

netgem21

Quote from: Lance on May 12, 2010, 20:29:07
Stupid question, but have you rebooted the router?

The noise margin figure is the router's way of showing a negative number, meaning there is a lot of noise on the line. A reboot will get the router to sync at a lower but more sustainable speed (or the noise will clear and it'll be fine again).

If you have already rebooted, it sounds likely to be a PPP failure. Assuming you haven't played about with the username and passwords, it could be a stale session. In this instance, unplug the router for at least 30 mins.

Thanks, yeah I've been rebooting for the past 3 hours or so to no avail. I think it was a CHAP/LCP issue. This stuff seems to happen all the time on my connection recently - used to be faultless. However, everything seems to be back to normal now - guess it just took its time!!

Thanks for your quick reply!  ;D

Lance

Glad it's working again. If one reboot doesn't clear it, often its best to give it the half hour and slice some fruit on your iPhone  ;)
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.