down today

Started by Baz, May 10, 2010, 14:31:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Baz

Brian support has been in touch and ive got my line on test in the test socket as its running at 2Mbps in the test socket.If this fails they say it could be hardware problems.So if it is,as I dont have a spare router,what would you suggest if I need to dig deep and buy a new one  :mad: :mad:    :D

I have a Netgear DG834PN at the moment so something with the same spec or better

Gary

Quote from: Baz on Jun 04, 2010, 14:14:52
Brian support has been in touch and ive got my line on test in the test socket as its running at 2Mbps in the test socket.If this fails they say it could be hardware problems.So if it is,as I dont have a spare router,what would you suggest if I need to dig deep and buy a new one  :mad: :mad:    :D

I have a Netgear DG834PN at the moment so something with the same spec or better
I had one of those routers I ditched it as it played up though, have you tried getting latest firmware if you have not already and then doing a factory reset and entering your details? If you need WiFi and you are on a long line get an HGV2700 if not a straightforward Netgear DG834G v4 should do fine.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Baz

got latest firmware yeah.do need wireless.what is classed as a long line and which site is it that can show you,I cant remember now.

its ok ive found it...Samknows is the site and I am approximately 1.22km from the exchange,straight line distance.

Rik

Attenuation tells you how long your line is, Baz. Much over 50 is long.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

ah ok..well at the moment mine is 39  :dunno:

Adam

Quote from: Baz on Jun 04, 2010, 21:06:58
ah ok..well at the moment mine is 39  :dunno:

39db attn indicates a line length of approx ~2.9km.
Adam

Baz

thanks so is that classed as long or not as in what Gary was saying about router types

Adam

I wouldn't say that is a long line, it is more middle of the range. It is close to the high end of ADSL speed wise, but ADSL2+ won't benefit a 39db/2.9km line much. Most decent routers should be fine on such a line.
Adam

Baz

how long should/does it take for your profile to improve.Mine is on 2000 has been for nearly two days now.support asked me to leave connected to test socket and see if it gets better.sync is 8260 which is still lower than I had before this trouble

Rik

It should take less than five days, Baz. The fact you're on 2M worries me slightly, though, as that is the classic 'stuck profile' speed.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

really? what can I do then Rik.wait and see if it improves or not.Why didnt support pick up on that.they 'did tests on my line' somehow and did see the low speed but never said what you did.

Rik

They're in BT's window of correction, so it would be hard to get BT to do anything until after the weekend, Baz.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

got back in touch with support yesterday and got a reply today saying BT have reset the profile and to keep a check on it over next 24 hours.

forgot to ask though can I go back to the faceplate instead of test socket which I am in now.

Will email them and check now. Thanks

Rik

Give it 24 hours first, Baz.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

thanks Rik.it hasnt changed as of yet

Baz

still hasnt changed.....somethings not right here >:(

Download speed achieved during the test was - 1681 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8321 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 16.12:27.66:56.22 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

profile was supposed to have been re set by BT yesterday.been like this now since last thursday

Rik

Have another word with support, Baz, or I can on your behalf.
Rik
--------------------

Baz

last I heard from them today was this Rik

Hi Baz,

Please remain connected directly to the test socket, it is believe that the internal wiring is the culprit picking up the interference, moving the router will simply re-introduce the problem.

Please leave the hardware on and do not reboot unless necessary.

Kind regards

James
IDNet

after me asking yesterday,as I did here too, about plugging back into the faceplate.Me asking that was after they had told me the  profile had been re set.

Not disputing what they say but my internal wiring has always been ok,Ive gone through all this ages ago with help from yourself and others on here,no extensions,no ring wire,router is 1meter from socket...  :dunno: surely its BT side

Rik

Not necessarily, Baz. My wiring was fine one night and not working at all the next morning, something has simple gone out of tolerance. The reson for using the test socket is that that's where the BT demarcation point is, if the problem stops there, it's something wrong on your side, which would cost you if BT came out. We've seen a case today of a faceplate being faulty (band connection).
Rik
--------------------

psp83

In my case, BT don't do much when they do come to test for faults anyways,

They plug in there blue frog modem connected to their laptop.. "it works fine here" disconnects laptop, jumps up the pole.. looks busy for a few mins, comes back in, fits a new faceplate then charges me £169... Everything works fine for a few days then it starts to happen all over again.

I have a few words I would like to call them but I think the forum filter would crash!

Rik

It might, though I've switched on the extra cooling. ;D

It's the big problem, Paul, and why IDNet ask people to use the test socket. If things work there when the engineer arrives, a bill usually follows close behind. :(
Rik
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: Rik on Jun 08, 2010, 16:41:51
It might, though I've switched on the extra cooling. ;D

It's the big problem, Paul, and why IDNet ask people to use the test socket. If things work there when the engineer arrives, a bill usually follows close behind. :(

The only trouble with mine was that I had the older phone socket with no test socket when I had my problem  :(

Now I have one with a test socket, but for £169 I thought it would be gold plated!  :dunno:

Rik

Mine only cost me £60 in similar circumstances. You should have developed the fault a couple of years earlier. :)
Rik
--------------------

Baz

so how long before this profile adjusts itself