Im thinking about moving to IDnet - does ir worth it?

Started by WOWgamer, Mar 23, 2007, 13:45:24

Previous topic - Next topic

WOWgamer

As in subject :)

Im using broadband for playing World of Warcraft and Ventrilo.

Im with Tiscali now and they are cr*p :(

I had a problem with Ventriloall the time - so finally i bought the ventrilo server for my guild located in london. And guess what?? Even having the original hosting in london i can't connect to it after 4:30 PM every evening and all weekend. This is my worst nightmare - i have to pay for server which Im unable to use. Tiscali explaining that is IPStream problem and they can do nothing about it so they will release me...

The world of warcraft is not better - in the evening lattency in wow is about 300-400ms - its nightmare..

Im living outside norwich, hopefully i will get the MAC code next week.

But my question is - doe's it worth swapping to IDnet?

I saw few posts regarding ping problems and speed issues...

Rik

I'm afraid I'm a total non-gamer, so can't give you anything from personal experience. What I would suggest is that you give IDNet a call, and put your position to them (0800 0267 237 or email contactus@idnet.net). In my experience, they will give you an honest assessment of the situation. If Tiscali are right, any ISP using IPStream products will have the same problem, which makes me wonder about what they say.

Hopefully, some gamers will be passing soon.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

CreamyGoodness

There were ping and speed issues earlier this year, but the new central installed this month has fixed the problem.  Hopefully there's now enough spare capacity that we won't see such problems again for a long time.

I play Quake4 and use Ventrilo, and have no problems at all now.  I ping about 30ms to the Jolt servers with Vent running, although I have to confess I don't know where either the Jolt servers or our Vent server is located.

Creamy.

mrapoc

I havent had any ping problems for aaaages, and it should be erradicated thanks to the new pipe installed by idnet. On css (very bad game for lag) i get a consistent latency of 18ms usually, some servers are even 5ms latency! Worst i get on a day to day basis is about 30ms latency. Teamspeak works perfectly for me (about the same as ventrilo).

Gaming on battlefield 2142 (absolutely terrible for lag) usually gives me a ping of 30 and USA servers (yes i accidently tried it!) gives me a ping of 200-300 so WOW shouldnt be too bad compared to that! Just make sure you paly on European/UK servers and it should be really good  ;)