IPv6

Started by Bill, May 11, 2010, 16:19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

tbb news item:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/4244.html

Scroll down to Here are some of the interesting responses to our question "Do you support IPv6?" at the end...
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

DorsetBoy

That does not surprise me at all , many of the first contacts at ISP's are as well informed as PC World staff  ::) ::)

Rik

Let's see, Orange, Talk Talk, BT...  :evil:
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Didn't Orange do a runner?
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

RogerP

Hi

When do you think IDNet will start using the above, more to the point will my trusty BT 2700 cope with it.

RogerP

Rik

They are and, afaik, it will.
Rik
--------------------

Gary

Seems capable and will work ate two different things, Rik. Be good iif the 2700 has full support though, iof anyones using IPV6 on IDnet try this http://ipv6.google.com/

RogerP

Hi

tried that link and comes up server not found ??

Do I need to turn anything " on " so to speak ??

Not using Mac laptop got probs with it so using PC Win 7 Pro with firefox

RogerP

Steve

Roger as far as I understand it unless you have an IPv6 'connection' to the ISP you won't be able to read it. I don't think anyone has on IDNet yet.

What's up with the Mac?
Steve
------------

RogerP

Hi steve

Been going on for about a month cannot sync iPhone to iTunes also cannot open iTunes.

Quicktime Player will not load at all neither will Quicktime Player 7

iPhoto will start but as soon as I click on a photo to either work on or open it just shuts down

Have had it in an Apple store to be put right lasted 4 days back to square 1 been onto tech support and advanced tech support in Ireland.

Have reloaded iTunes 5 times at their request still no good, and have reloaded OS syetem 4 times at their request total to date 4 hours on phone still no joy.

sent an email today to Ireland telling them I want a sustainable repair or a new m/c I will not pay £2000 for something that is not working as it should, also suggested the only thing left is an total erase and re-install, but suspect it is a hardware failure lurking somewhere.

anyway they should be contacting me tomorrow as I am not prepared to do the above because if anything goes wrong they will blame me

Rogerp

Gary

Quote from: RogerP on May 11, 2010, 21:51:42
Hi steve

Been going on for about a month cannot sync iPhone to iTunes also cannot open iTunes.

Quicktime Player will not load at all neither will Quicktime Player 7

iPhoto will start but as soon as I click on a photo to either work on or open it just shuts down

Have had it in an Apple store to be put right lasted 4 days back to square 1 been onto tech support and advanced tech support in Ireland.

Have reloaded iTunes 5 times at their request still no good, and have reloaded OS syetem 4 times at their request total to date 4 hours on phone still no joy.

sent an email today to Ireland telling them I want a sustainable repair or a new m/c I will not pay £2000 for something that is not working as it should, also suggested the only thing left is an total erase and re-install, but suspect it is a hardware failure lurking somewhere.

anyway they should be contacting me tomorrow as I am not prepared to do the above because if anything goes wrong they will blame me

Rogerp
I have done erase and installs just to see how it went, should be no problem, it may however be ram playing up, that can cause some odd issues. Have you reset the pram and smc?

Steve

As Gary says erase and install is a straight forward procedure but I think I'd it leave to Apple since they're on the case so to speak.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on May 12, 2010, 07:21:54
As Gary says erase and install is a straight forward procedure but I think I'd it leave to Apple since they're on the case so to speak.
Very true, have you done the hardware test?

RogerP

Hi Guys

I just feel if I leave it to Apple then if there are any hardware probs then they can be sorted out at the same time, it's not the doing that is the problem it's the basically I want the m/c back as I bought it working 100%.

It's mainly a case of frustration not that Apple have done nothing they have on their part tried but I feel now is the time for them to refurb it so to speak.

Anyway thanks for your comments I will raise these  when I hopefully speak to their technical people today.

Regards

RogerP

pctech

Isn't IPb6 use for ADSL endpoints Adrian Kennard's particular pet subject.

I know IPb6 addressing is giving me nightmares (touched up it a bit in the course I am doing)

Reckon there's plenty of life in IPv4 yet.

Steve

I think we've only got about 18 months before we exhaust the supply of IPv4 addresses
Steve
------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Unless you are running a network you don't have to worry too much about it, thats why you pay an ISP.

Tacitus

Quote from: Steve on May 12, 2010, 07:21:54

One thing I would point out is that apparently Apple get very sniffy about 3rd party RAM.  I've always used Kingston in all the Macs I've owned with no problem (so far), but if the machine has to go back, Apple will quite probably blame it on that.

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on May 12, 2010, 15:08:20
One thing I would point out is that apparently Apple get very sniffy about 3rd party RAM.  I've always used Kingston in all the Macs I've owned with no problem (so far), but if the machine has to go back, Apple will quite probably blame it on that.

If you added your own ram, remove it before it goes back  ;)

RogerP

Hi guys

Update on previous post.

Well they have had me do various things out to no avail, as I am going to the Midlands next week I have agreed to take it into Touchwood Centre in Solihull.

If this does not sort it out then I have been assured that I will have a satisfactory outcome.

I have said I am willing to do as much as I can on part to facilitate a full repair but would prefer any partitioning/ OS re-install be done by Apple people, they have agreed to that and are in the process of booking me an appointment at the Genius Bar in Solihull, and will consider further steps after repairs have been tried out in store.

So I wait to see a week on Tuesday 25th May as to what transpires.

RogerP

Rik

Rik
--------------------