Can I set a bandwidth cap on IDnet

Started by pctech, May 13, 2010, 13:56:06

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Can I set a bandwidth cap on IDnet's service so I don't get a large bill?

Simon

I don't think so, but you can monitor your usage via the RSS feed.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

You can't, but as Simon has said you can use the RSS feed, or you could use the customer area on the IDNet website. Finally, if it looks like you are going to exceed, a system generated email will be sent to you warning you.
Lance
_____

pctech

Think I'm going to stick with an ISP where I can enforce a cap as otherwise I could get a little carried away.

Rik

You sound like me and food, Mitch, no self discipline. ;)
Rik
--------------------

pctech

No I'm a bit of a tech webcast addict, whether it be a new router, CPU or just general tech news.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Last temp we had that spent all her time on iPlayer got the boot pretty sharpish

Rik

You could argue it's necessary research. ;)
Rik
--------------------

pctech

I might get away with it for a bit.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

If you want to keep browsing, but keep under your limit, perhaps use an accelerator? The right program, can be set to only download small images, or parts of them. They will be a good enough quality to see, but save on bandwidth.
Although, the main bandwidth hog would be video (including those in adverts, so get an Adblocker for those!). Perhaps watch less videos, to save on bandwidth.

Otherwise, you can try one of the software bandwidth monitors. But I don't know of any that lock you out when your close to your limit.
Or do as I do, and set a daily allowance for yourself. Something like 30mins internet only. Or 100mb only. Mine is 1gb a day. So I can include 5Gb from a game/movie I bought. Then I have to wait another 5 days before I play/download another. Keeps me just under the 30GB/month limit when the busy release season comes around for games or movies.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

I doubt I'd get close to 30Gb.

Anyway I'm going to stick with Newnet for now as they are trying to sort out my line speed and are being very very helpful (thats not to say IDnet wouldn't be equally as helpful)

Lance

Lance
_____

quandam

Quote from: pctech on May 15, 2010, 14:00:36
I doubt I'd get close to 30Gb.

Anyway I'm going to stick with Newnet for now as they are trying to sort out my line speed and are being very very helpful (thats not to say IDnet wouldn't be equally as helpful)

Look after that  2 Wire router bargain that you got when dealing with us! ;D

pctech

I will mate thanks

I'll be hanging about the forums though.

pctech

If IDNet introduce a bandwidth or expense capping system I'll definitely give you a go.

Lance

What would you want to happen if it was to be introduced? A total stoppage or significantly reduced throughput?
Lance
_____

pctech

Don't mind either but would probably be better from IDNet's POV to stop DNS resolution or restrict traffic to its network when an overage limit is reached.

This would allow the customer to log in and prepay a block of bandwidth or increase their overage limit and have it added to next months bill.

My current setup

I pay £12.95 for the connection and 3GB of transfer.

I can prepurchase bandwidth about £1.37/GB or if billed as part of my overage (which I've capped at 3GB) it is £1.57/GB

When thet limit is reached I can only get to the customer panel to purchase more or increase my overage.

Rik

Wouldn't self-discipline using the RSS feed and, maybe, something like the TB meter be enough, Mitch. Home PAYG buys you 2GB of peak and 10GB of offpeak download (uploads are not counted, unlike Newnet), with excess charged at £1/GB. Depending on when you use your connection, that could be very cost effective.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Not that disciplined Rik

Started to watch lots of stuff on Gametrailiers too.

When I know how the land lies with stuff I might go for the home pro package as I think even I'd struggle to munch through 40GB.

Rik

Fibre will get you even more, of course. :)
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Not sure what exchange you are on Rik but I did read they were trialling on my exchange Bradwell Abbey and did intend to opt into the trial if the price was reasonable but not heard anything more.

Bill

Quote from: pctech on May 20, 2010, 18:38:15
I can prepurchase bandwidth about £1.37/GB or if billed as part of my overage (which I've capped at 3GB) it is £1.57/GB

When thet limit is reached I can only get to the customer panel to purchase more or increase my overage.

So you still need willpower not to just buy some more :P

It was briefly mentioned before, but after a few days into a new billing period IDNet estimate your usage and send (automated) nagging emails if you look like going over your limit. It's a long while since I had one, but they used to look like this:

Dear Bill

re: your broaband line number xxxxxxxxxxx

Over the time period 1/12/2006 to 7/12/2006 (6 days) you have downloaded 6.93 GB of data. Your monthly allowance is 30GB.

Based on your current level of usage, your projected bandwidth use (data download) for a 30 day time period will be: 34.65 GB.

If your current bandwidth usage continues then this would equate to an excess bandwidth charge of: £5 [£1/GB] for this month.

You can monitor your bandwidth use online daily in the Customer Account section on the website: https://www.idnet.net/login

Kind regards,

The IDNet Support Team

Any help?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Quote from: pctech on May 20, 2010, 19:15:58
Not sure what exchange you are on Rik but I did read they were trialling on my exchange Bradwell Abbey and did intend to opt into the trial if the price was reasonable but not heard anything more.

I'm on Wolverton and scheduled for December. I think, but wouldn't swear to it, that the BA trial is a closed one.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Yes business customers only no doubt as that exchange serves a lot of busniess customers.

Rik

It does. Way back in dial up days, we were moved out of the house while subsidence repairs were carried out, and ended up in the City Centre (handy for shops & theatre), which was on the BA exchange. The difference in sync speed was noticeable even then.
Rik
--------------------

pctech

Yes a very crowded exchange.

Was talking to one of our telecoms guys at work and he reckons there's a nearer exchange to me than Bradwell, in one of the Shenleys.

I'm sure it'd be a small fortune to get BT to re-route the line.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Yep and according to Samknows there is.

g7pkf

I was with Newnet.

TBH they are very good but i wanted higher upload speed's adn at the time (don't know if they do it now) i would have had to go for a substantial increase in cost (they only did higher upload on business packages) and IDnet were the best and cheaper option as they do it on the top personal package.

strangely enougth it was a BT engineer that recommended idnet.

:)

Simon

He obviousiy hadn't read the forum.  ;D
Simon.
--

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--