These are real pings

Started by DarkStar, May 18, 2010, 19:11:42

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkStar

How is this for a PingGraph  ;D - was OK this morning but noticed the browsing was getting a bit sluggish before tea so set PingGraph and RouterStats running when I went off and came back to this, no browsing going on at all. Had a look in the router logs and nothing in there at all since I turned the machine on this morning. Have included the RouterStats shot as well, lovely and steady.
So, would the consensus be exchange congestion? - or not. Am going to reboot the machine in a minute, the router was rebooted the other day courtesy BT so it shouldn't be that.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ian

Rik

It looks like exchange or node congestion, Ian. What happens if you try it from safe mode with networking support?
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

DarkStar

Do you mean boot into safe mode and run PingGraph from there Rik. Sorry to be ignorant but I didn't realise that you could do that - can you surf from safe mode as well?
I've only used safe mode with networking to uninstall something when things have gone tits up.
Ian

Rik

Rik
--------------------

DarkStar

The PingGraph seems to settling down a bit, mostly steady at about 35 ish which is the norm for me with just the occasional spike so I'll let it run for a while and see what happens.
Out of interest - if I run PingGraph in safe mode what will it tell me. If it is normal without any spikes would that indicate that the cause of the problem lies on the computer and not on the network?
Ian

Lance

Lance
_____

DarkStar

Quote from: Lance on May 19, 2010, 08:37:19
Yep :)
Thanks Lance.
At the moment my pings are OK. They did calm down quite a bit late last night, but am going to keep PingGraph running all day to see if / when they start to go haywire again.
Had a look at the PlusNet congestion checker this morning and although my exchange is green at the moment they are all red except the last one so there is a problem there. All these problems have occurred since my exchange was WBC enabled 2 months ago, a vast increase in housing now with faster access and no increase in BT exchange capacity, sounds about right. I hate to think what the connection will be like while the World Cup is on  :eek4:
Ian

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Fox

Quote from: Rik on May 19, 2010, 09:32:16
Move now, Ian. ;)

....but not to anywhere near Rik, his connection speed is dire  :laugh:
True power doesn't lie with the people who cast the votes, it lies with the people who count them

Rik

This is very true, at least until December.
Rik
--------------------

DarkStar

I'm not moving anywhere; despite living 3 miles from my exchange I live in a lovely small Suffolk village that I wouldn't swap for anywhere else. I've been out on my bike for the best part of 3 hrs midday, lovely quiet lanes with hardly any traffic, sun shining, reasonably warm and my little great grandaughter waiting for me when I got back - bliss  :thumb:
My cardiologist would be well impressed  ;D I hope :eyebrow:
Anyway, pings have been behaving except from just before 12:00 until dead on 13:00, all the office workers playing on their computers in dinner break I expect. Wait and see what happens when the kids get home from school and adults start using iPlayer  :po:
Ian

Rik

You'll just have to re-time your cycle runs, Ian. ;)
Rik
--------------------