Bandwidth peak times - what happens when the clock strikes midnight?

Started by netgem21, May 18, 2010, 20:04:35

Previous topic - Next topic

netgem21

Hi

Just wondering, If I'm downloading a big file (in this case a PC game from Steam) that's over 5GB, if I start downloading at 11:30 pm, will the download switch to off-peak allowance at midnight or is it just for downloads initiated after midnight?

Thanks  ;D

Glenn

As far as I'm aware, the download will switch from peak to off peak at midnight, but will not affect the download.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

netgem21

Quote from: Glenn on May 18, 2010, 20:07:33
As far as I'm aware, the download will switch from peak to off peak at midnight, but will not affect the download.

OK, thanks! :)

adamr8965

Good question, rik will know the answer if not he'll find out for you.

Technical Ben

Good question. I guess it's always been accepted that it is checked on the packet level. Unlike a phone call that is usually set from the start of a call. When you download from the internet, each part of a file is broken down into tiny packets. Each packet is then sent, one after the other. So if half of the packets are sent before midnight, and half after, they only register for the correct time. At least, that's how I thought it worked.  :dunno:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

kinmel

I start downloads late evening and leave them to run through the night, the meter always shows the off peak correctly
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Lance

I would certainly expect it to be at the actual time data is passed though the network, rather than when the data request was initiated.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Niall

Quote from: Lance on May 18, 2010, 22:59:29
I would certainly expect it to be at the actual time data is passed though the network, rather than when the data request was initiated.

Yep, this is correct. I started a download from the EA store or Steam, and let it ran through the night as mentioned. The data records as it's downloading, so it's correctly recorded on your usage.

Which reminds me, as I'm bored and it's late/early I think I'll go check for patches/updates :D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy