oops!

Started by zappaDPJ, May 20, 2010, 18:07:27

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

Getting on for 10 years ago I installed a small office system for a friend. Nearly 10 years on they are still using the same system because to be truthful, he's a tight git  ;D A couple of days ago he brought me one of the PCs to repair because it 'was behaving rather strangely'. After removing well over 25 unique viruses and cleaning exactly 1020 infected files, I restored the PC to full health and went to his offices today to put it back on the network.

While I was there I checked the other PCs on the system, cleaned them up and gave the whole network a clean bill of health. To do this I had to download a couple of applications from my server and I noticed his net connection was dead slow. When I asked him about it he shrugged and said I recommended it around 10 years ago. I did a speed test to get the provider and noticed the actual result was 0.45 MB/s in both directions  :eek4:

I phoned the provider, Eclipse who were a little perplexed and asked if they could phone back in 5 minutes. This they did and I was informed that the speeds I'd reported were exceptionally good...

...for a 0.5 MB/s connection  :rofl:

He's been on the same package at the same tariff (£25 + VAT) for 10 years. He ignored the emails invite him to take advantage of Eclipse's 1 MB/s & 2 MB/s & 4 MB/s & 8 MB/s & 24 MB/s packages because they were 'too technical' for him to understand. The rather helpful lady at Eclipse was clearly very embarrassed and highly amused all at the same time. After we'd both had a good laugh about it she offered to put him on a 24 MB/s monthly package for £11.99 a month.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

I thknk you need to take commission on the new 24mb deal!
Lance
_____

Rik

I think you need to charge a consultancy fee. ;D
Rik
--------------------

quandam

Explains how AOL, Sky (Connect), Pipex, 02 Access, Talk Talk and similar make money :(

Rik

Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Well I think I might just let him keep the savings, he'll need them to pay the bill for me cleaning his PC. It took 3 days to do something that normally takes me around 30-60 minutes. Some the viruses that are around just now are really nasty. Even when completely removed the invisible payload delivered renders a PC drive contents useless and there is currently nothing you can download from the net to help resolve the problems.
zap
--------------------

Rik

We shouldn't let them loose by themselves, Zap.
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

I must admit I'm astounded by the basic lack of computer knowledge in his office. They still have the worksheets that tell them how to turn the PC on and run Microsoft Word that I supplied 10 years ago on view ;D
zap
--------------------

Rik

Ouch. They're not running Windows Me are they? ;D
Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Not quite, XP PRO & Office 2000 ;D
zap
--------------------

quandam

Quote from: zappaDPJ on May 20, 2010, 18:26:40
Well I think I might just let him keep the savings, he'll need them to pay the bill for me cleaning his PC. It took 3 days to do something that normally takes me around 30-60 minutes. Some the viruses that are around just now are really nasty. Even when completely removed the invisible payload delivered renders a PC drive contents useless and there is currently nothing you can download from the net to help resolve the problems.

Who is your post directed to? Definitely not clear.

Rik

Quote from: zappaDPJ on May 20, 2010, 18:36:38
Not quite, XP PRO & Office 2000 ;D

Well, the OS is OK then. ;D
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Quote from: quandam on May 20, 2010, 18:36:57
Who is your post directed to? Definitely not clear.

Not sure I follow, Q?  ???
Lance
_____

Rik

I took it to be you and me, at replies 1 & 2, Lance.
Rik
--------------------

Lance

So did I, thinking that it was obvious so thought I would check to see if I was missing something.
Lance
_____

Rik

It was, you weren't. :D
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Lance
_____

Rik

Rik
--------------------

quandam

Quote from: Lance on May 20, 2010, 18:42:07
Not sure I follow, Q?  ???

Directed at Zappa's post.

Lance

Quote from: quandam on May 20, 2010, 18:52:10
Directed at Zappa's post.

I think it was extremely clear, Q, that it was directed at me and Rik.
Lance
_____

quandam

OK no problem, let's move on. ;)

Niall

Quote from: zappaDPJ on May 20, 2010, 18:34:40
I must admit I'm astounded by the basic lack of computer knowledge in his office. They still have the worksheets that tell them how to turn the PC on and run Microsoft Word that I supplied 10 years ago on view ;D

It's the same in my place. I used to get emails complaining that I'd altered the resolution on a PC, insisting that I come to the other end of the building to fix it as they couldn't understand the concept of right clicking the desktop and selecting a tab, then moving a slider.

It's a good job the PCs are as secure as any I've ever seen. You can't do anything at all with them other than browse a select few unblocked websites. Oh, and do your job :P
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

I'm amazed a Govt department could produce an IT system that allowed that, Niall. ;)
Rik
--------------------

Niall

;D

It is a VERY secure system. The only way to actually pinch information from it would be literally to write it down.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Rik

Do they ban paper and pens, then? ;)
Rik
--------------------